Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 02:41 PM
OscarN
Road Captain
Received 355 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Oil, Gas & Leather
Bike's looking fantastic bro!! Stay with it! I've got mine right where I always wanted it as well. I get a ton of compliments on it, bet you do too. Only thing left I could want are fancier wheels & those bow tie cut black rotors.
thanks brother!

I actually like talon wheels, but they are a bitch to clean lol

Thinking about fat front kit, it ain’t cheap, but I really like the look of it.

The following users liked this post:
Oil, Gas & Leather (10-15-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 02:54 PM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior
Received 643 Likes on 461 Posts

I do too but worry about handling characteristics...

Old 10-16-2022, 08:19 AM
OscarN
Road Captain
Received 355 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Oil, Gas & Leather
I do too but worry about handling characteristics...
in my opinion handling will be fine, countersteering takes care of higher gyroscopic effect pretty easy. My wife’s 48 has “fat” front tire and no handling issues. Fat boy has a wide front tire and no issues either.

Last edited by OscarN; 10-16-2022 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:13 AM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior
Received 643 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by OscarN
in my opinion handling will be fine, countersteering takes care of higher gyroscopic effect pretty easy. My wife’s 48 has “fat” front tire and no handling issues. Fat boy has a wide front tire and no issues either.
Copy that...guess riders wouldn't add it if it didn't handle! It does add a nice meaty look to the bike!

Old 10-16-2022, 11:57 PM
rodsky77
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a Fat Bob before, so, you can say that I had the fat front already
The handling will be ok, it just won’t be as nimble. Will be fine on the highway, will require just a bit more effort in the twisties.

Originally Posted by OscarN

Old 10-17-2022, 06:47 AM
RAD1
Cruiser
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Ok fellas, so what's the consensus on windshields? I was leaning towards a Harley Wind Splitter, but I've read some comments in this thread that's making me think again. Does the Wind Splitter come in different sizes? I'm 6' and my riding buddies are telling me the shield should line up with my nose so I'm just looking over it. I think the Wind Splitter is 16" which may be too short?

If not Wind Splitter, what are you all riding with?

Old 10-17-2022, 07:15 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,749 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by RAD1
Ok fellas, so what's the consensus on windshields? I was leaning towards a Harley Wind Splitter, but I've read some comments in this thread that's making me think again. Does the Wind Splitter come in different sizes? I'm 6' and my riding buddies are telling me the shield should line up with my nose so I'm just looking over it. I think the Wind Splitter is 16" which may be too short?

If not Wind Splitter, what are you all riding with?
Do not buy the WS it leans back too far and places a ton of wind in your face. Also with the WS it uses different brackets than a standard shield does which means you are stuck always running a WS. Here's what the bracket kit looks like.

The stock HD WS is 16" but Freedom Windshield has multiple heights. I have my stock 16", a Freedom 20", and a 22" and I get wind at all speeds. It's the design of the brackets that lean the shield too close to the rider. This is my Freedom 22" with optional laser etching and vent.

Another issue with the WS is HD stopped making the bracket kit as a separate part. You can only get the brackets when you fork over the $425.00 for the stock 16" shield which you won't be happy with so than you have to go to Freedom and buy a taller WS. Check the Freedom website they make all kinds of different shields and are great to work with. Some members like Oscar modified his WS by spacing it away from the brackets but why put yourself through that if you don't have too. Look away run for the hills. 😆

Old 10-17-2022, 08:14 AM
RAD1
Cruiser
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
Do not buy the WS it leans back too far and places a ton of wind in your face. Also with the WS it uses different brackets than a standard shield does which means you are stuck always running a WS. Here's what the bracket kit looks like.
Thank you! Good to know.

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
The stock HD WS is 16" but Freedom Windshield has multiple heights. I have my stock 16", a Freedom 20", and a 22" and I get wind at all speeds. It's the design of the brackets that lean the shield too close to the rider. This is my Freedom 22" with optional laser etching and vent.
Do you mean that you get wind at all speeds with all 3 windshields? In other words, you're not happy with any of them? Does the Freedom bracket lean the shield too close to the rider as well?

Last edited by RAD1; 10-17-2022 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:51 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,749 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by RAD1
Thank you! Good to know.
Do you mean that you get wind at all speeds with all 3 windshields? In other words, you're not happy with any of them? Does the Freedom bracket lean the shield too close to the rider as well?
Yes sir all three shields give you wind in the face. I'm keeping mine just because i have $$$ wrapped up in WS shields and I do love the look of them on the Road King Special. If I knew then what I know now I would have gone with the traditional HD shield and bracket set up before buying any of the Freedom WS. My RKS came with the 16" HD WS setup from the original owner so I stuck with it since I had the brackets. Freedom Windshield does not have WS brackets they are proprietary to HD. You have to have the WS brackets in hand in order to use a Freedom WS. Freedom makes great shields for all model HD but I don't think they offer any brackets. Memphis Shades is another good company that offers shields and brackets for HD bikes but they do not offer the WS. Keep in mind for the RKS you have to buy the HD fork mount kit to run any shield. A little history on the Windsplitter shield it was originally made for the 2015 or 16 Road King CVO model but eventually HD released it for use on all Roadkings. Obviously this was years before the Road King Special was even conceived. Take my advice at your height you will not be happy running the Windsplitter. Go with the traditional brackets and shield which you can find in black for the RKS. I'm 6'3" and the wind is constant using the WS shield. I don't know how HD came up with the name Windsplitter cause it doesn't split jack ****.

Last edited by Cornpipe; 10-17-2022 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RAD1 (11-02-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 09:10 AM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 568 Likes on 311 Posts

I personally love the Wind Splitter and think the styling fits the RKS really well. I'm 5'10" and find it very comfortable, especially with the fork deflectors installed. I've found the vent makes all the difference. For the colder weather, I do have a Clearview coming in the wider width with the optional vent installed. I bought some standard, non-curved black hardware off Amazon and will mount it up to that and run it this winter. A bonus with that shield is I will be able to run my windshield bag which is so handy for things like glasses, garage door opener, and a charging brick to run a USB cable to my phone if needed.

Last edited by Gizmo83; 10-17-2022 at 09:19 AM.

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD