Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 06:56 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo83
I've been kicking around the idea of a RKS for my first bike in about 7 years. Last was a 2010 Road Glide Custom. There a few things I would want added before it left the dealership... one of them being a windshield. I would imagine I will end up with two different shields. A big one for long distance and a smaller/medium for shorter travels to keep the wind off my chest. I am wondering about the smaller/medium and what you guys are going with. I like the looks of the HD Wind Splitter the best but not sure how effective it is. I'm 5'10". I'd imagine for the real touring I would just get a standard RK windshield.
I bought and RK and didn't like the stock windshield because it was in my line of vision. Ordered the 16 inch replacement shield and it's at the perfect height. I'm 6 ft tall. Keep in mind the RK seat sits a little higher than the Rex's seat so maybe the 14 inch will work.

Change of windshield did not change buffeting with the exception that I get less head buffeting

Old 06-25-2017, 07:14 PM
hdfatbob14
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so here is mine i put leds all around and daymakers up front
Name:  20170625_200146.jpg
Views: 3539
Size:  3.97 MB
Name:  20170625_200550.jpg
Views: 3613
Size:  6.34 MB

The following 2 users liked this post by hdfatbob14:
nr0974 (10-18-2019), Rabagg04 (01-29-2018)
Old 06-25-2017, 09:39 PM
BLKDLX
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Doshounds
Don't let the M8 problems thread scare you. If you don't plan on any major modifications you will have a warranty to back you up. The RKS is an awesome bike and you will enjoy the hell out of it. So pull the trigger and enjoy it. It appears your user name has you already taking mental ownership of a Black RKS! post pics when you pick it up.
you are correct, my username is locked in, because there is no doubt what bike I'm going to buy, I'm just trying to decide if I should wait for 2018 or not. For me, that Vivid Black RKS is perfect. I appreciate the feedback, not sure if there's any advantage whatsoever for a waiting for the 2018 except it'll probably be heavier on my back pocket.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:04 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,343 Likes on 4,767 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKRKS
I'm just trying to decide if I should wait for 2018 or not. not sure if there's any advantage whatsoever for a waiting for the 2018 except it'll probably be heavier on my back pocket.
tough call being so close now..if they remain 'unchanged' and you can save maybe $1000-$1500 on a 17 then it's tempting..but even outwardly unchanged doesn't mean hidden improvements weren't made for 2018..we know damn well they learned a lot from analysis of warranty claims, etc. and maybe the 18's will be just a little more mature in so much as faults were remedied unbeknownst to us..might be a stretch but suppose it's possible

Old 06-25-2017, 11:30 PM
Doshounds
Tourer
Received 162 Likes on 96 Posts

you are correct, my username is locked in, because there is no doubt what bike I'm going to buy, I'm just trying to decide if I should wait for 2018 or not. For me, that Vivid Black RKS is perfect. I appreciate the feedback, not sure if there's any advantage whatsoever for a waiting for the 2018 except it'll probably be heavier on my back pocket.
That is a tough call at this point. I am sure you will have some bargaining power now that the RKS is starting to stay on showrooms longer than it takes to do the Pdi. Then again, what will 18 bring? I saw a vivid black RKS this past week...Outstanding was all I could think. Made we wonder if my matte gray was still my favorite color. Lol.

The following users liked this post:
Oil, Gas & Leather (04-12-2020)
Old 06-26-2017, 12:37 AM
BLKDLX
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Doshounds
That is a tough call at this point. I am sure you will have some bargaining power now that the RKS is starting to stay on showrooms longer than it takes to do the Pdi. Then again, what will 18 bring? I saw a vivid black RKS this past week...Outstanding was all I could think. Made we wonder if my matte gray was still my favorite color. Lol.
I go back-and-forth, I love that Matt Gray equally as well!

Old 06-26-2017, 03:48 AM
Murder King
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say if you believe the 17 RKS is perfect then do it. No sense of waiting for something that may or may not change. As for color I originally was going to do the charcoal denim, but then changed my mind based off a couple things. Eventually I might add saddle bag lid speakers and if I get a charcoal denim one then I'll have to get them painted which isn't cheap. Then I also thought if you were ever to scratch it at least with black there is a chance it's only in the clear coat and not the actual paint where with the denim once it's scuffed more then likely it's not coming out.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:38 AM
Mike3411
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bbarnes
Alright I got it had to trim in down but you'll get the picture, I reved it up 1/4 and then 1/2 throttle.
Mega thank you, sounds just what I'm looking for!!

As for waiting for an 18 model, I'm not sure what you guys have been told over stateside but the 3 or 4 dealers I spoke to all said the RKS is a limited run, like the 's' models (of course this may have been a sales tactic? But same answer from Warrs, Guildford, Maidstone and Leeds!) but who knows what the company will do! They'll prob run these out and do blacked out street glides and road glides!

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike3411:
Oil, Gas & Leather (04-12-2020), Poodie (11-06-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 05:04 AM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I doubt (IMO) if they do the RKS in 18 that it will be much if any different except for maybe color. Mid year releases don't leave much time for change if carried into the next year. We'll see. My local dealer still sells them as fast as they get them. He finally got a red one in and it was on the floor for 3 days. Most have been the denim grey so that appears to be the most common color of the 4 available. I have yet to see another Olive Gold one like mine.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:10 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike3411
Mega thank you, sounds just what I'm looking for!!

As for waiting for an 18 model, I'm not sure what you guys have been told over stateside but the 3 or 4 dealers I spoke to all said the RKS is a limited run, like the 's' models (of course this may have been a sales tactic? But same answer from Warrs, Guildford, Maidstone and Leeds!) but who knows what the company will do! They'll prob run these out and do blacked out street glides and road glides!
When I bought my slim S in 2016 they told me it was a limited run, they are still selling them now!

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD