Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 08:37 AM
OscarN
Road Captain
Received 355 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by RAD1
Hey Fellas,

This post has been a long time coming. I sold my last bike (BMW sport touring) in 2002 when my first child was born. While busy raising kids over the last 20 years, I got my motorcycle fix by renting Harley's and doing demo rides at Laconia each year. I would go back and forth between SG and RG as my favorite bike and the one I would buy one day. But, then I road a RKS and I couldn't wipe the ****-eating grin off my face. Well, this Saturday I will pick up my first HD - a 2020 RKS. I feel like a 52 yr old kid days before Christmas Look forward to joining the club and contributing to the forum.
awesome, congrats and welcome!

The following users liked this post:
Saguaro (10-10-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 08:51 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,749 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by OscarN
Finally had some time to modify stock Harley windsplitter brackets to offset my 22” freedom shields windshield. It was too close to the bars even with 1” spacers added between the shield and brackets at the top and was hitting hydraulic fittings on both master cylinders. Not pretty so may need to make solid brackets later or just do a better paint job. I added a hole pattern to the extension plates so the angle of the windshield can be adjusted.
That looks great Oscar! Have you ridden it yet with this setup? Could you give some details on materials used etc? I would like to try this on my WS.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:52 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Hey Fellas,

This post has been a long time coming. I sold my last bike (BMW sport touring) in 2002 when my first child was born. While busy raising kids over the last 20 years, I got my motorcycle fix by renting Harley's and doing demo rides at Laconia each year. I would go back and forth between SG and RG as my favorite bike and the one I would buy one day. But, then I road a RKS and I couldn't wipe the ****-eating grin off my face. Well, this Saturday I will pick up my first HD - a 2020 RKS. I feel like a 52 yr old kid days before Christmas Look forward to joining the club and contributing to the forum.
Congrats. You found a dealer still holding a 2020 model?

Old 10-05-2022, 09:31 AM
OscarN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
That looks great Oscar! Have you ridden it yet with this setup? Could you give some details on materials used etc? I would like to try this on my WS.
thanks, Mr. Vince! I actually rode into work this morning and it worked quite well, but since I changed the angle of it I’m now looking thru the windshield which I don’t really like so my plan is to try this with my 20” freedom to see if that still works.

I used some scrap 3mm aluminum sheet that guys from our machine shop gave me. Then it was a lot of measurements, cutting, drilling, cursing, cutting again lol.

Oil, Gas & Leather (10-10-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 10:03 AM
RAD1
Cruiser
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Congrats. You found a dealer still holding a 2020 model?
No, buying a brand spanking used one. ~2500 miles.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:25 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

No, buying a brand spanking used one. ~2500 miles.
Damn that dude never rode that bike. Good deal!

Old 10-05-2022, 10:31 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

thanks, Mr. Vince! I actually rode into work this morning and it worked quite well, but since I changed the angle of it I’m now looking thru the windshield which I don’t really like so my plan is to try this with my 20” freedom to see if that still works.

I used some scrap 3mm aluminum sheet that guys from our machine shop gave me. Then it was a lot of measurements, cutting, drilling, cursing, cutting again lol.
That's right it will change the height of my 22" as well. I still have the stock 16" and Freedom 20" I could work with. I had another idea about extending the actual brackets at the mount point on the forks. I could loosen the acorn nuts, use the bottom studs as a pivot point and make like 3 inch brackets to mount to the top attach point.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:52 PM
OscarN
Road Captain

That's right it will change the height of my 22" as well. I still have the stock 16" and Freedom 20" I could work with. I had another idea about extending the actual brackets at the mount point on the forks. I could loosen the acorn nuts, use the bottom studs as a pivot point and make like 3 inch brackets to mount to the top attach point.
that was my other idea. You don’t really need a lot of rotation in order to offset the windshield a lot at the top since it’s all about radii ratio.

Last edited by OscarN; 10-05-2022 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:07 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

that was my other idea. You don’t really need a lot of rotation in order to offset the windshield a lot at the top since it’s all about radii ratio.
Great minds think alike. It would definitely have to be done with the 20" shield.

OscarN (10-05-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 06:42 PM
RAD1
Cruiser
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Without knowing the rules of this forum, I will risk posting a pic here since I officially own an RKS now even tho I created a separate thread to introduce the bike. If this is not allowed, feel free to delete this post.

Anyhoo - Love the color. Love the bike.

Anyone have this windshield? Memphis Shades?

Last edited by RAD1; 10-10-2022 at 06:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RAD1:
Oil, Gas & Leather (10-10-2022), OscarN (10-11-2022)

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD