Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022 | 01:30 PM
Miatsoci
Advanced

Added Auxiliary Lights. Decided to use a fused connection along with an On/Off switch despite the lights coming on with bike. Figured I might not want them on in the day. The switch allows me to turn off and back on for nighttime riding
. Will ziptie wires up. Waiting on wire sleeving

Last edited by Miatsoci; 01-20-2022 at 01:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Oil, Gas & Leather (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022 | 02:05 PM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Miatsoci
Added Auxiliary Lights. Decided to use a fused connection along with an On/Off switch despite the lights coming on with bike. Figured I might not want them on in the day. The switch allows me to turn off and back on for nighttime riding
. Will ziptie wires up. Waiting on wire sleeving

Had my dealer install same passing lights when I bought my 2019 RK Special new. They automatically installed a rubber on/off switch for them as well...

Miatsoci (01-20-2022)
Old 01-26-2022 | 04:53 AM
rodsky77
Advanced

Hi all,

planning to upgrade the shocks on my 2021 RKS. Have to pick Ohlins because all others require sending the shocks to another country for a rebuild or a service (I'm in Switzerland).
Trying to decide between 12 inch and 13 inch.
  • 13 inch
    • Positives: improves ride, bigger lean angle, more clearance
    • Negatives: decreases rake/trail decreasing stability at higher speed, raises the rear by 0.5 inch - alters the look of the bike
  • 12 inch
    • Positives: improves ride (but not as plush as 13 inch), keeps the "slammed" look, keeps the same handling
    • Negatives: regret that I did not go with 13 inch
Additional info: height - 5'11", weight - 220 lbs, ride 99% of time solo, no tour pack, ride mostly twisties and scenic roads with 40/60 MPH speed limits

What's your take on this? Which size did you or would you pick?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by rodsky77; 01-26-2022 at 05:36 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-26-2022 | 05:07 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rodsky77
Hi all,

planning to upgrade the shocks on my 2021 RKS. Have to pick Ohlins because all others require sending the shocks to another country for a rebuild or a service (I'm in Switzerland).
Trying to decide between 12 inch and 13 inch.
  • 13 inch
    • Positives: improves ride, bigger lean angle, more clearance
    • Negatives: decreases rake/trail decreasing stability at higher speed, raises the rear by 0.5 inch - alters the look of the bike
  • 12 inch
    • Positives: improves ride (but not as plush as 13 inch), keeps the "slammed" look, keeps the same handling
    • Negatives: regret that I did not go with 13 inch
What's your take on this? Which size did you or would you pick?
Thank you in advance.
240 lb buddy just tried to put 13" FOX IFP-Rs on his 21 RGS, think the @$$ ends are similar, but anyway there was a fitment issue so he had to go with the OEM 12s with HD spring rate and is very happy..for you, tell us more please in order to offer advice..how much weight, what kind of riding, what are the road conditions you ride mostly, ever 2 up? Think the FOX get rebuilt every 50,000 miles but Ohlins much sooner..?? are the ones you interested in base models or with adjustable rebound, etc.?

I have a 2020 RGS and ride solo, our roads are great condition overall and I weigh about ~230..I'm considering new shocks but would stick with FOX 12" standard springs..I don't like the idea of altering the config and I would be adding the front cartridge kit as well to balance it out...I'm OCD and wouldn't do one end without doing the other

Old 01-26-2022 | 05:33 AM
rodsky77
Advanced

I should've added that other info as well in the post, sorry about that: I ride solo 99% of the time, weigh 220 lbs, 5'11" (so, will flat-foot the bike regardless of shock size) no tour pack.
There are a lot of mountains and twisties here, so, spend a lot of time on scenic roads with 40-60 mph speeds.

I don't have too many choices of shocks here in Switzerland - so Legends, Progressive, etc are not on the menu because I would need to send them back to US for service or issues.
I pretty much have to do all my work at the local Harley dealer because I don't have the time or the skill to do this work myself - the dealer recommends Ohlins with compression dampening adjustment with stock length (12 inch) - the model is OEHD_774

The dealer is trustworthy, I've been dealing with them for a few years now - they never push or talk you into stuff you don't need - they recommended this model, they did not try to sell me on the HD Ohlins with the external reservoirs that cost twice as much.
I just came off a 2019 Fat Bob and I can tell that the HD suspension on the 2021 RKS is not worth a damn - the roads here are pretty good, but if I ride down some crappy roads, I can feel every bump in my spine.
I figure, either the 12 or the 13 Ohlins will be MUCH MUUCH better than the stock.

However, if I can get a bit more clearance and lean angle without really affecting the geometry / handling of the bike, I would go with the 13s - the cost is the same anyway.
Just want to know if there's any arguments against the 13s.

I'm with you on the cartridges for the front, but I can't do everything at once, the front will have to wait a bit as I'm also doing my bars and lights with the rear shocks.

Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by mjwebb
240 lb buddy just tried to put 13" FOX IFP-Rs on his 21 RGS, think the @$$ ends are similar, but anyway there was a fitment issue so he had to go with the OEM 12s with HD spring rate and is very happy..for you, tell us more please in order to offer advice..how much weight, what kind of riding, what are the road conditions you ride mostly, ever 2 up? Think the FOX get rebuilt every 50,000 miles but Ohlins much sooner..?? are the ones you interested in base models or with adjustable rebound, etc.?

I have a 2020 RGS and ride solo, our roads are great condition overall and I weigh about ~230..I'm considering new shocks but would stick with FOX 12" standard springs..I don't like the idea of altering the config and I would be adding the front cartridge kit as well to balance it out...I'm OCD and wouldn't do one end without doing the other

mjwebb (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022 | 06:05 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rodsky77
I should've added that other info as well in the post, sorry about that: I ride solo 99% of the time, weigh 220 lbs, 5'11" (so, will flat-foot the bike regardless of shock size) no tour pack.
There are a lot of mountains and twisties here, so, spend a lot of time on scenic roads with 40-60 mph speeds.

I don't have too many choices of shocks here in Switzerland - so Legends, Progressive, etc are not on the menu because I would need to send them back to US for service or issues.
I pretty much have to do all my work at the local Harley dealer because I don't have the time or the skill to do this work myself - the dealer recommends Ohlins with compression dampening adjustment with stock length (12 inch) - the model is OEHD_774

The dealer is trustworthy, I've been dealing with them for a few years now - they never push or talk you into stuff you don't need - they recommended this model, they did not try to sell me on the HD Ohlins with the external reservoirs that cost twice as much.
I just came off a 2019 Fat Bob and I can tell that the HD suspension on the 2021 RKS is not worth a damn - the roads here are pretty good, but if I ride down some crappy roads, I can feel every bump in my spine.
I figure, either the 12 or the 13 Ohlins will be MUCH MUUCH better than the stock.

However, if I can get a bit more clearance and lean angle without really affecting the geometry / handling of the bike, I would go with the 13s - the cost is the same anyway.
Just want to know if there's any arguments against the 13s.

I'm with you on the cartridges for the front, but I can't do everything at once, the front will have to wait a bit as I'm also doing my bars and lights with the rear shocks.

Thanks for your input.
I think your dealership sounds like a good one and is giving you good advice that you would be happy following

Old 01-26-2022 | 06:18 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air ForceVeteran: Reserves
Community Team

Adding 13" rear shocks is not that big of a deal. Everybody says it causes this and that. No the difference is negligible. I have 13 inch shocks on my 2020 RKS and couldn't be happier. Remember we aren't riding a Ducati or Yamaha sports bike. Don't over think things and go with your gut. What happens when you drop the coin on the 12s and your not happy. Something to think about. Also remember the Roadking Standard comes with 13 inch shocks. How different is the Standard from the Special.

rodsky77 (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022 | 06:42 AM
rodsky77
Advanced

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I think your dealership sounds like a good one and is giving you good advice that you would be happy following
True, but theirs is only one view, I like to hear what people who live and ride with these bikes have done and how they feel about that and how it works for them.
Makes it for a more informed decision for me. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-26-2022 | 06:51 AM
rodsky77
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
Adding 13" rear shocks is not that big of a deal. Everybody says it causes this and that. No the difference is negligible. I have 13 inch shocks on my 2020 RKS and couldn't be happier. Remember we aren't riding a Ducati or Yamaha sports bike. Don't over think things and go with your gut. What happens when you drop the coin on the 12s and your not happy. Something to think about. Also remember the Roadking Standard comes with 13 inch shocks. How different is the Standard from the Special.
I agree. I guess I want to know if people have felt the difference between the two. I doubt that I will ever push this bike that far - I bought it more for comfort rather than for pushing it so hard into corners so as to have to wear brown pants when I ride
Otherwise, I would be talking about putting on shocks with external reservoirs, different forks, etc.
I feel that it does not hurt to ask before pulling the trigger on the order, and I appreciate everyone taking a bit of their time to respond.

Old 01-26-2022 | 07:16 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I put 13" Legends on mine and dont feel any issues compared to stock 12". Only thing to watch for is that the shocks will clear your mufflers, the swingarm bolt barely clears my oversized aftermarket mufflers when on the lift. Once you set the sag, it should put you at the same height as the stock shocks, but you gain an extra inch of travel

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD