Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 10:47 AM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior
Received 643 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by patcjr
Lately I've been longing for my 2014 CVO Road King. I'm thinking the RK Special is pretty similar. Local dealer has a couple in Snake Venom.
RK Special the BEST Harley build ever...IMHO! I'll NEVER get rid of mine...))

The following users liked this post:
patcjr (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 10:54 AM
patcjr
Advanced
Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OscarN
HD still calls them "premium" and they still crappy. I upgraded rear shocks with Legend Revo A's and it made a huge difference, at least for me. I was very skeptical, but I could feel the difference right after I put them on. Replacing front cartridges with Axeo's as well, waiting for the new handlebars so I can rebuild the whole front end same time
There are some great improvements to be had in the aftermarket world. I installed a set of Ohlins on my Low Rider and it was a totally different ride.

OscarN (11-11-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 12:01 PM
lapinobel
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Found this thread, looking into buying a rks but mainly worry a bit about comfort as a light rider. Have a thread here but dont think you guys mind asking here. Debating between the heritage and rks. Love the look of the rks way more but definitely quite a big difference in suspension travel 4 inch vs 2 inch. You guys find the rks comfy enough on bad roads? Or will I need to switch suspension which I cannot afford right now…

Old 11-13-2021, 12:18 PM
OscarN
Road Captain
Received 355 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by lapinobel
Found this thread, looking into buying a rks but mainly worry a bit about comfort as a light rider. Have a thread here but dont think you guys mind asking here. Debating between the heritage and rks. Love the look of the rks way more but definitely quite a big difference in suspension travel 4 inch vs 2 inch. You guys find the rks comfy enough on bad roads? Or will I need to switch suspension which I cannot afford right now…
it depends on how bad the roads you’re talking about are. Suspension is a personal thing, I’m on a bit heavy side (260 lbs) and stock suspension sucked for me. Other people find stock shocks to be just fine. Take both bikes (Heritage and RKS) for a spin and try to hit some of those “bad roads” and see for yourself.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:46 PM
lapinobel
Cruiser

Yeah well, no way to testdrive the Heritage over here. I did try the RKS, it was sometimes pretty harsh but other times felt pretty ok. Depens on what kinda of 'bad' roads it was on, I mainly felt hard thumps when going over potholes or cracks, but it felt pretty stable and floaty on cobblestones and concrete roads.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:59 PM
OscarN
Road Captain
Received 355 Likes on 198 Posts

Yeah well, no way to testdrive the Heritage over here. I did try the RKS, it was sometimes pretty harsh but other times felt pretty ok. Depens on what kinda of 'bad' roads it was on, I mainly felt hard thumps when going over potholes or cracks, but it felt pretty stable and floaty on cobblestones and concrete roads.
I’d say my impression with stock suspension was ok on just a flat highway, but it was pretty bad every time I had to go over a “washboard” at the truck stop near my place. It felt harsh and bumpy to the point I was worried that something may fall off the bike. Switched to Legends and problem solved. But it’s not cheap. I’m adding front cartridges too, lots of good reviews.

Get what you like/can afford and upgrade over time, I had had my RKS for 2 years before I upgraded the shocks. Good luck!

Oil, Gas & Leather (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 01:01 PM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior
Received 643 Likes on 461 Posts

RKS is the best built bike on the planet. Just buy it. It's wikked comfy!! And powerful!!!

Old 11-13-2021, 01:10 PM
lapinobel
Cruiser

Yeah it looks amazing. I bought a 2021 Low Rider S this year and sold it after about 6000km on it, did not like the seating position at all, felt way too crunched up and had quite a bit of problems with my back. Did not want to spend more money to adjust it to my needs. Rear shock was ok, but front was very stiff imo. Sold it (at quite a loss) and bought a BMW r1250r which I keep as my daily bike/sport urge. But I would love a RKS as my second bike, for those relaxed sunday rides, solo or with the wife. It looks badass, I don't do highways so like a clean front and I suppose it's technically a better bike than the LRS (which was pretty great, but not for me).

Old 11-13-2021, 03:15 PM
patcjr
Advanced
Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm only 145 and I find the current Heritage to be a great riding bike. You need to find a way to get a test ride. I do like the ride of the touring bikes, too, but I find the Heritage smoother and I definitely prefer it in the twisties. Plus, get the 114 in the Heritage, which they all will have for 2022, and the power to weight ratio is better.

Last edited by patcjr; 11-13-2021 at 03:26 PM. Reason: something to add
Old 11-14-2021, 03:14 AM
lapinobel
Cruiser

One thing (besides comfort) what kinda annoyed me (to a lesser degree) was the vibrations of the engine when going higher revs, the RKS feels a lot smoother.

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD