Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Kralj
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JPGA
Thanks, very usefull. Do you also have a travel pack for the 2 hard saddle?
YEs I do and I love them. We did 500 miles and an overnight this weekend and had plenty of room.

The following users liked this post:
JPGA (06-05-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 09:46 PM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 492 Likes on 289 Posts

Questions for all you RK Special owners...Does the seat break in? I've checked a few out at different dealers and that that thing is stiffer than a horse saddle!!! How is the suspension? I'm too scared to take a test ride...What can I say? I'm an impulsive MF'er!

Old 06-04-2017, 10:11 PM
Soon2Be1
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

So I've I had mine for three weeks and at 2100 miles now. Done a lot of short to and from work, 25 miles each way and a couple 200 mile trips.

The seat, to me is perfect (5'10" 175 lbs) it's firm enough to provide support when getting on her but but I was not sore when I did 6 hours in the saddle.

Suspension on the other hand, it's really two parts. Wheel/ tire combination and "low" suspension. The short side walls with the 19/17 do not absorb bumps well at all. I can feel th cuts in the road, not harsh but I can feel everything. Big bumps and pot holes, honestly, they suck! I've been bucked out of the seat twice already.

I've played with the rear suspension preload with no success. With all this I don't mind it, hold great in the corners and on the highway it tracks pretty straight.

Hope that helps.

YammyDrummer (06-06-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 10:48 PM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 492 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Soon2Be1
So I've I had mine for three weeks and at 2100 miles now. Done a lot of short to and from work, 25 miles each way and a couple 200 mile trips.

The seat, to me is perfect (5'10" 175 lbs) it's firm enough to provide support when getting on her but but I was not sore when I did 6 hours in the saddle.

Suspension on the other hand, it's really two parts. Wheel/ tire combination and "low" suspension. The short side walls with the 19/17 do not absorb bumps well at all. I can feel th cuts in the road, not harsh but I can feel everything. Big bumps and pot holes, honestly, they suck! I've been bucked out of the seat twice already.

I've played with the rear suspension preload with no success. With all this I don't mind it, hold great in the corners and on the highway it tracks pretty straight.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the honest feedback, Soon2be1. Sounds like the ride is really close to what I figured given the lowered shocks and wheels/tires.

Gotta say, though. The RK Special is hands down the best looking stock bike I've ever seen. I get real tempted to trade/sale the Dyna for one every time I visit a dealer. But I think I'm gonna hold out to see what 2018 brings. The thought of an M8 in a FXDL or reintroduced FXDC gets me pretty excited.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:08 AM
JPGA
Intermediate
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kralj
YEs I do and I love them. We did 500 miles and an overnight this weekend and had plenty of room.
Which travel pack do you have: ref 93300070 (the most expensive one) or ref 91885-97A? Hows the bike saddle, confortable enough? Thanks again.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by YammyDrummer
Questions for all you RK Special owners...Does the seat break in? I've checked a few out at different dealers and that that thing is stiffer than a horse saddle!!! How is the suspension? I'm too scared to take a test ride...What can I say? I'm an impulsive MF'er!
I ran the stock seat for the first 1000 miles and it was not too bad. It was okay and I had no real complaints but was worried about long distance. I bought the Mustang Super Touring and went off on a 2300 mile trip. Did 967 miles in 16.5 hours and the seat was fabulous. Stock seat probably would have not been as easy on my backside. The only stock seat in 40 years of riding I didn't change was 2, My Aprilia Falco and my Vic X1. Those 2 seats work well, so I see no need to change them.

YammyDrummer (06-06-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 08:38 AM
WristpinKnock
Cruiser
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by YammyDrummer
Problem with things like seats and suspension is everyone experiences them differently. Ask ten different riders and you'll probably get ten different opinions.

Personally, I don't find the RKS (or the Street Glide) seat hard at all. I do, however, find the seating position cramped...but, I'm fairly tall (6'-3".) I have an aftermarket Mustang Wide Tripper seat, that I switched over from my Street Glide cause it works well for me.

The suspension? Well, for me, its great. The RKS handles way better than any 800+ lb motorcycle has any business handling. The ride? Well, it rides about as well as my old '13 SG. After hearing people rave about the new '17 suspensions and how well they rode, I was a little disappointed. The dealer did have the rear pre-load cranked up about 50%, which was WAY too stiff for a stripped down unloaded bike like the king. I set mine to about 4 and it improved the ride a lot. Its still firm, but I can live with that.

Really, the ONLY way to find out if a seat or suspension works for you is to ride on it...and, more than just around the block if possible. Could be a problem if you are, "an impulsive MF'er."

The following 2 users liked this post by WristpinKnock:
Oil, Gas & Leather (04-11-2020), YammyDrummer (06-06-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 05:00 PM
Kralj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WristpinKnock
Problem with things like seats and suspension is everyone experiences them differently. Ask ten different riders and you'll probably get ten different opinions.

Personally, I don't find the RKS (or the Street Glide) seat hard at all. I do, however, find the seating position cramped...but, I'm fairly tall (6'-3".) I have an aftermarket Mustang Wide Tripper seat, that I switched over from my Street Glide cause it works well for me.

The suspension? Well, for me, its great. The RKS handles way better than any 800+ lb motorcycle has any business handling. The ride? Well, it rides about as well as my old '13 SG. After hearing people rave about the new '17 suspensions and how well they rode, I was a little disappointed. The dealer did have the rear pre-load cranked up about 50%, which was WAY too stiff for a stripped down unloaded bike like the king. I set mine to about 4 and it improved the ride a lot. Its still firm, but I can live with that.

Really, the ONLY way to find out if a seat or suspension works for you is to ride on it...and, more than just around the block if possible. Could be a problem if you are, "an impulsive MF'er."

Yep, I agree with you for sure. The wife and I did 500 miles this weekend with all our gear. I finally remembered to dial in the suspension BEFORE we left and the bike handled beautifully. Man, I really, really like this bike.

Oil, Gas & Leather (04-11-2020)
Old 06-05-2017, 05:02 PM
Kralj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JPGA
Which travel pack do you have: ref 93300070 (the most expensive one) or ref 91885-97A? Hows the bike saddle, confortable enough? Thanks again.
My dealer had both in stock and I couldn't honestly find enough difference to justify the price; I went with the 97A

JPGA (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 02:59 AM
JPGA
Intermediate
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WristpinKnock

You're correct, anyway it also depends of the height and weight of the fellows.

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD