Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 06:58 AM
DeLaw
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

20 inch Harley windshield, Love it.
Thinking about a switch to a RK Special but am wondering how those of you who put miles on the highway feel about the available windshields/coverage? Is there a windshield out there that can really defeat the constant pounding from the wind and head buffeting? My Heritage Classic was a great bike but I never got the highway winds figured out after several windshield changes and just couldn't take it any longer. I appreciate any insight.[/QUOTE]

The following 3 users liked this post by DeLaw:
Cootey (03-26-2023), Oil, Gas & Leather (08-23-2020), WDHGS114 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 07:53 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33,003 Likes on 12,902 Posts

Originally Posted by WDHGS114
Question for the crew here--I own a 2019 Road Glide Standard which is my first bagger. I really like size of the touring bike but I am just not feeling the whole fairing thing--the radio is nice, I don't need NAV, weather radio, phone calls, etc. The bike just doesn't feel as nimble to me as others I've owned. Thinking about a switch to a RK Special but am wondering how those of you who put miles on the highway feel about the available windshields/coverage? Is there a windshield out there that can really defeat the constant pounding from the wind and head buffeting? My Heritage Classic was a great bike but I never got the highway winds figured out after several windshield changes and just couldn't take it any longer. I appreciate any insight.
there'll be as many opinions on this as there are Baskin-Robbins flavors, but since you're askin

18" Freedom Shield on mine, about 13,000 miles in this configuration. All day comfort and fun with no fairing blocking the view. The wind that you notice is just a nice little comfortable "swirl", nothing pounding or invasive. Some occasional buffeting if I wear the Arai but I'll never get the complaining about buffeting. It's really not that noticeable, if I'm wearing the half helmet then there's none at all.

The following 2 users liked this post by 6113_:
Oil, Gas & Leather (08-23-2020), WDHGS114 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 12:20 PM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior
Received 643 Likes on 461 Posts

Question for the crew here--I own a 2019 Road Glide Standard which is my first bagger. I really like size of the touring bike but I am just not feeling the whole fairing thing--the radio is nice, I don't need NAV, weather radio, phone calls, etc. The bike just doesn't feel as nimble to me as others I've owned. Thinking about a switch to a RK Special but am wondering how those of you who put miles on the highway feel about the available windshields/coverage? Is there a windshield out there that can really defeat the constant pounding from the wind and head buffeting? My Heritage Classic was a great bike but I never got the highway winds figured out after several windshield changes and just couldn't take it any longer. I appreciate any insight.
I am with you 100%! I am NOT a fairing guy. I like the look and feel of an open bike like my pre3cious 2019 Special. I concur with 6113. I bought a FREEDOM SHIELDS windshield and LOVE it! Cuts out all wind for me. I'm 6' tall and ride on a Saddlemen's Road Sofa, which sits you up 2" higher than the stock seat and there are zero wind issues, even at 90-100mph highway (which I did yesterday)!

I ended up with their largest 22" size shield in medium tint. When I throw my Harley lo profile seat on the bike I'm forced to mainly look thru it, but not an issue. I wouldn't recommend going any darker with the tint. With medium you can still see thru it, even at night. Dark tint too much. A 21" height would have been perfect, There is ZERO buffeting or other issues. Love the recurve of the shield too. Looks damn sexi on the bike. John at Freedom is a super nice guy as well. I strongly recommend. Here's a couple of pics of the shield on mine...

The following users liked this post:
WDHGS114 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 12:22 PM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior

p.s...you'll LOVE the Special. Best Harley build so far IMHO!

WDHGS114 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 12:25 PM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DeLaw

20 inch Harley windshield, Love it.
Thinking about a switch to a RK Special but am wondering how those of you who put miles on the highway feel about the available windshields/coverage? Is there a windshield out there that can really defeat the constant pounding from the wind and head buffeting? My Heritage Classic was a great bike but I never got the highway winds figured out after several windshield changes and just couldn't take it any longer. I appreciate any insight.
[/QUOTE]
Isn't that a Special?

Old 07-27-2020, 12:26 PM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jakeylee
Well... there might be another method you haven't considered. You can always go back to a standard/upgraded rear suspension (the same one that the standard Road King has.. 3 inch travel, not 2.5). After that, go back to a wheel and tire size that the standard Road King has.
The benefits would be: Lower seat height (particularly if you went with an aftermarket low seat). AND... your ground clearance would INCREASE by almost half an inch. My favorite part of the "mod" is how much improved your ride and performance is with the standard king set-up. The taller tire wall and increased suspension travel is a game changer... for me anyway.

This is admittedly not a cheap modification. But if you are going to upgrade suspension someday, then it's a wash. In addition, those Wheels on the Roadking special fetch some decent money on the aftermarket. So that's a bit of a cost reduction.
Don't get me wrong, I effing LOVE the Road King special. I'm not sure I would ride anything else at this point. But the trade off in comfort and ride is real. STILL a great ride.. but you can always improve. Good luck.
Your Special looks sweeet!

Old 07-27-2020, 12:41 PM
Bloody Marvelous
Road Captain
Received 282 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon Bassett
I am with you 100%! I am NOT a fairing guy. I like the look and feel of an open bike like my pre3cious 2019 Special. I concur with 6113. I bought a FREEDOM SHIELDS windshield and LOVE it! Cuts out all wind for me. I'm 6' tall and ride on a Saddlemen's Road Sofa, which sits you up 2" higher than the stock seat and there are zero wind issues, even at 90-100mph highway (which I did yesterday)!

I ended up with their largest 22" size shield in medium tint. When I throw my Harley lo profile seat on the bike I'm forced to mainly look thru it, but not an issue. I wouldn't recommend going any darker with the tint. With medium you can still see thru it, even at night. Dark tint too much. A 21" height would have been perfect, There is ZERO buffeting or other issues. Love the recurve of the shield too. Looks damn sexi on the bike. John at Freedom is a super nice guy as well. I strongly recommend. Here's a couple of pics of the shield on mine...

That looks like a crazy comfortable bike. And that's such a gorgeous color. Looks like black at first, but when the sun hits it right the blue comes out.
You do a lot of long distance two up riding?

Old 07-27-2020, 12:58 PM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior

Finally got the pics out there! Thanks man. Yes, it's as comfortable as it looks. I also ride with the Harley lo profile seat and that is just as comfy if not more so! Bought from a California dude here on the forums. I am deeply and for-evah in love with this machine. Installing the Red Shift 468 cam with upgrades like oil pump, cam bearing, collars, etc this winter. Haven't done a ton of riding with my girlfriend of 16 years but plan to. Only up to 2 hour rides so far. She loves the road sofa seat & Ness floorboards. The open design of the boards lets more air flow up to your shoes/boots & helps in summer at speed. We plan on taking a few 2-3 day trips this summer. We work at home & have been for 18 years, so are flexible with our schedules. Worked out perfect with this Covid disaster! (lucky/blessed!)

Goin' out for a ride right now in the 96 degree heat! Here's the lo profile seat setup...

Last edited by Oil, Gas & Leather; 07-27-2020 at 01:02 PM.
WDHGS114 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 01:07 PM
iwishiwasdata
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Im 5' 10" and I have found 18-in works best for me. I like the medium tint as well. I went with long ride shields but I think as long as you get something with a recurve you'll be pretty happy.

The following 2 users liked this post by iwishiwasdata:
Oil, Gas & Leather (07-27-2020), WDHGS114 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 01:32 PM
Bloody Marvelous
Road Captain
Received 282 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm fine with riding without a windshield up to about 75mph. Above that I catch too much wind to be comfortable. I've taken it up to 105mph, but I was holding on for dear life, and couldn't do it for more than 30secs. If I have a head wind I'll dial it back to max 60mph.

I had my bike prepared for a windshield, but we couldn't get one to fit because of the 16" handlebars. In the end I didn't really care, I do as little highway riding as possible. I get bored after 15 minutes. I much prefer taking the back roads, twisties, mountain roads, etc. Happiness isn't around the corner. Happiness is the corner.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bloody Marvelous:
iwishiwasdata (07-27-2020), Oil, Gas & Leather (07-27-2020), WDHGS114 (07-28-2020)

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD