Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 04:13 PM
Ursadorable
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TStew1
Stock cables will be fine with 14" KST bars. If you go with bars any taller or much wider, you'll need to either change cables or reroute them the stock ones to work. From what I hear, KST bars look nice but aren't great quality. I've heard of welds breaking, and I've also heard that the inside of the bars are sometimes rough and have cut or damaged wires and connectors. A lot of people use them though because they're cheap and I've only heard or read very few complaints, so I'm sure you'd be fine
I have the 14" renegades on my RKS, and I definitely had to use extensions for the signal light wiring. In fact they advise as much on their website.

-2014-present Road King Standards, Specials and CVOs: 10", 12", and 14" can be installed without replacing your brake and clutch hoses. You will need to extend your electrical.
I cussed and swore for a couple hours before I hacked off the ends of the cables, fished the cables through with ample vasoline and pull wires. It was worth it in the end however. I could have saved hours off the install if I had just hacked off the connectors in the first place.

I ended up soldering the connectors back on (I left a couple inches of cable as a pigtail on the connector), and using waterproof heatshrink tubing on the soldered bits. For the signal light wires, I simply soldered on the extensions since it was pointless to solder on the connector I cut off, then plug in the extension (which ended up sitting very near the center hole in the handlebars).

Last edited by Ursadorable; 03-29-2019 at 04:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ursadorable:
Oil, Gas & Leather (05-05-2020), OscarN (03-30-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 05:41 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Next week I’m swapping my 12” KST’s for 14” Wild1 Outlaws. I knew when I installed the KST’s in Jan, this would happen. They weren’t quite tall enough and just felt too light to give me confidence in their long term strength/durability. So I have the new bars, a new left grip and a new TBW connector. I never have a problem depinning the control wires, but I can never get the TBW connectors off w/o messing them up. Having the new connectors means I can manhandle them and not worry about it. Plus some cable lube and the fact that these bars

I’m still waiting for a set of oem road king risers and clamp from a ‘18 standard. $30 shipped off eBay. Beats the +$100 cost from the dealer. Plus I just can’t get comfortable with the thought of those 1” to 1.25” adapter sleeves. I’m sure they’re fine but I’m just nuts like that.

Mr. 6113 told me that there’s no problem with the hydraulic lines, and I already have the control wiring extensions, so this should be quick enough. Hopefully Wednesday night according to USPS tracking, but that’s inevitably a crapshoot...

The following 2 users liked this post by Mchad:
6113_ (03-29-2019), OscarN (03-30-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 08:54 PM
Hawkdriver23
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bubfryder

My new play toy.. traded in a Geezer Glide on her
That’s an interesting wind deflector. Looks like it would fit well with tall bars. Who makes it?

Old 03-29-2019, 09:04 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Hawkdriver23
That’s an interesting wind deflector. Looks like it would fit well with tall bars. Who makes it?
Looks like a Memphis Shades Rifle fairing. I like it.

Edit: Road Warrior I mean

Last edited by Mchad; 03-29-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:41 PM
chasu99
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Paint scheme

I’m toying around with this. For now, it’s flat black cast vinyl wrap. May paint it

Aftermarket footpe

Old 03-30-2019, 06:45 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by chasu99
I’m toying around with this. For now, it’s flat black cast vinyl wrap. May paint it

Aftermarket footpe

Sorry, what are we looking at?

Old 03-30-2019, 09:26 AM
OscarN
Road Captain
Received 355 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Ursadorable

I have the 14" renegades on my RKS, and I definitely had to use extensions for the signal light wiring. In fact they advise as much on their website.

I cussed and swore for a couple hours before I hacked off the ends of the cables, fished the cables through with ample vasoline and pull wires. It was worth it in the end however. I could have saved hours off the install if I had just hacked off the connectors in the first place.

I ended up soldering the connectors back on (I left a couple inches of cable as a pigtail on the connector), and using waterproof heatshrink tubing on the soldered bits. For the signal light wires, I simply soldered on the extensions since it was pointless to solder on the connector I cut off, then plug in the extension (which ended up sitting very near the center hole in the handlebars).
thanks, man. I knew about the wire extensions, but was wondering if stock lines can be re-used. My dealership advised, of course, that I will need to change them also and let them bleed the brake line since it is abs. And those line extension kits ain’t cheap!

Originally Posted by Mchad
Next week I’m swapping my 12” KST’s for 14” Wild1 Outlaws. I knew when I installed the KST’s in Jan, this would happen. They weren’t quite tall enough and just felt too light to give me confidence in their long term strength/durability. So I have the new bars, a new left grip and a new TBW connector. I never have a problem depinning the control wires, but I can never get the TBW connectors off w/o messing them up. Having the new connectors means I can manhandle them and not worry about it. Plus some cable lube and the fact that these bars

I’m still waiting for a set of oem road king risers and clamp from a ‘18 standard. $30 shipped off eBay. Beats the +$100 cost from the dealer. Plus I just can’t get comfortable with the thought of those 1” to 1.25” adapter sleeves. I’m sure they’re fine but I’m just nuts like that.

Mr. 6113 told me that there’s no problem with the hydraulic lines, and I already have the control wiring extensions, so this should be quick enough. Hopefully Wednesday night according to USPS tracking, but that’s inevitably a crapshoot...
cool! If you don’t mind, please, keep me posted. I’m pretty much set on fatbaggers bars since they are 2-piece design and have smooth curves inside for easy wire routing. Just don’t know if I need to order their line extension kit, it costs twice as much as the bars.

thanks!

Old 03-30-2019, 04:20 PM
chasu99
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry. I wasn’t even aware that I posted it. It’s obviously incomplete.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:12 PM
Dwebber18
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey everyone, here is a quick video with a cold start so you can hear the bike. Next time I take it out I'll let it warm up some and not annoy my neighbors

The following 2 users liked this post by Dwebber18:
6113_ (03-31-2019), Oil, Gas & Leather (05-05-2020)
Old 04-01-2019, 07:50 AM
TStew1
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ursadorable

You're giving bad information. We're talking about cables, not wires. The stock Brake and Clutch cable are fine at 14 inches. Wiring will need extensions. And you can just depin the connectors, you don't need to hack them off and solder it back together.

The following users liked this post:
Oil, Gas & Leather (05-05-2020)

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD