Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 05:39 PM
wiliturk
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Road King, Why a Road King? Why not a Street Glide or a Road Glide? Does the lack of a fairing zap all of your energy after a long ride? I hadn't considered one till this weekend. Someone please explain.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:44 PM
OscarN
Road Captain
Received 355 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by wiliturk
Road King, Why a Road King? Why not a Street Glide or a Road Glide? Does the lack of a fairing zap all of your energy after a long ride? I hadn't considered one till this weekend. Someone please explain.
No one will explain it to you better than yourself. Look, performance, options, versatility all personal choices and preferences. I've chosen mine because I liked it.

The following users liked this post:
Oil, Gas & Leather (05-04-2020)
Old 12-18-2018, 10:30 AM
SkullsAndChrome
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

First off it's the looks. The thing is one of the best looking bikes I've ever seen (personal preference), You can always put a windshield on if you want to ride long distances. It's comfortable, powerful, and the stretched saddle bags look amazing. The handling is awesome. It feels like a much smaller bike when you are riding it. With no fairing you see more of the road, and have no obstruction, and i don't care about having a radio. My phone does my navigation for me, and you can plug the phone into the USB port if you are using it for long distances. Again, all personal preference, and what you want on your bike.

Last edited by SkullsAndChrome; 12-18-2018 at 11:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DC2009EGUC (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 11:05 AM
SkullsAndChrome
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by OscarN
I got the "Road King" version, never heard about just a brushed aluminum piece.

My sales guy ordered me the emblem, i put it on last night. He said it must have been a factory slip up.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:32 AM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Having owned faired and unfaired bikes, don't think just because a Glide (or any faired bike for that matter) that has a fairing it is better, in my experience, it is worse. Fairings cause buffeting and while that buffeting can be mitigated, it still "wears" me out faster than my Road King. I prefer to be out in the clean air of a non-faired bike, less air directed at my head and none of the air coming up from the tank area. The only thing I think a fairing helps with is rain. Nope, I'll take a non-faired bike any day. Like others have said, add the windshield if you want some protection.

Then you also benefit from less weight over the front end and makes slower speed handling much better than on a Glide.

Last edited by Firebolter; 12-18-2018 at 11:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Firebolter:
DC2009EGUC (12-18-2018), skid_pimp (12-19-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 11:59 AM
DenisLM
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I posted it in other thread:
Originally Posted by DenisLM
I test drove the SGS, RGS and the RKS.

SGS the buffeting is a deal breaker for me. (even with a fancy windshield). Overall feel like a convertible car.
RGS is a nice ride, but feel kinda awkward to handle that fixed fairing and even harder to deal with the shark face
RKS is just better, fantastic ride, looks amazing and still feel like you are riding a bike, not a 2 wheel convertible car.

I love the looks of the SGS, how effective is the RGS and how simple is the RKS.
For me the price also spoke high. Why pay for fancy audio/gps if I only really need my phone and Bluetooth on my helmet?

Old 12-18-2018, 12:03 PM
OscarN
Road Captain
Received 355 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SkullsAndChrome
My sales guy ordered me the emblem, i put it on last night. He said it must have been a factory slip up.
Cool deal!

Old 12-18-2018, 01:19 PM
rks2018
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to adjust the handle bars on 18 road king special without having to take out the head light and clamp cover.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:50 PM
tc88hog
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Simply remove the Road King emblem from the handlebar top clamp cover. You will then get access to 2 of the handlebar pinch bolts. Loosen the 2 pinch bolts and move the bars to your desired location then re-torque the pinch bolts to 16-20 ft/lbs

The following 2 users liked this post by tc88hog:
Oil, Gas & Leather (05-04-2020), the_MAD_Baker (01-19-2019)
Old 12-20-2018, 05:31 PM
NF1985
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RKS Head Pipes M8

I have the 18 RKS and S&S slash cut 4 inch slip ons. Looking to get the bike louder. Looking at VH Power Duals or S&S Power Tune Duals. Anyone have any experience with these on the new M8? Make it noticeably louder?

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD