Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 02:09 PM
Mike3411
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TStew1
What did you have to do to relocate the horn?
I made 2 brackets and a small wiring loom (incase I go back) the horn is a sportster loud horn but I’d like to find a louder one

The following users liked this post:
Oil, Gas & Leather (04-21-2020)
Old 08-03-2018, 11:28 AM
Paul On The Run
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Razor Pak

Added a Razor Pak to my RKS. I powdercoated the bracket and the windshield brackets as well. Black hardware in the mail so don't judge me on those chrome latches.

Last edited by Paul On The Run; 08-03-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul's Road Glide
Added a Razor Pak to my RKS. I powdercoated the bracket and the windshield brackets as well. Black hardware in the mail so don't judge me on those chrome latches.
Your setup looks really good. Will be anxious to see the tour pak with the black hardware. What's your initial assessment of the quality and durability of that company's product (tour pak)?

Last edited by Xcrossbow; 08-03-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:41 PM
Paul On The Run
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Xcrossbow
Your setup looks really good. Will be anxious to see the tour pak with the black hardware. What you initial assessment of the quality and durability of that company's product (tour pak)?

So right out of the box I really thought the paint finish in the black was really good. No particle specs, runs or smudges. All very smooth and glossy just like the bikes paint. The ABS plastic seems tough & durable. I can tell the difference between OEM and this brand but to be honest it's not enough deterrent. I know it's not meant to hold cinder blocks so for your normal everyday use it will probably hold up quite well.

The hinges look good and solid. The latch isn't sloppy but it definitely doesn't feel tight like OEM. Easy fix with new black latches. Tether line is a joke. I'm not trusting it and am replacing it with something much stronger - even stronger than what MoCo offers. I'm going DIY with insulated cable and proper loops swaged on tightly.

Nothing is pre-drilled (for pad or mount) so you got to do that on your own, carefully. The low profile back pad is actually really nice too. I thought it might look like some cheap vinyl but it doesn't. The texture even seems to match the texture of the stock seat.

Now, while the outside is really smooth and finished quite well, the interior leaves a little more to be desired but I will be lining it with a stitched lining from Advan Black and the interior of the lid is where I usually places stickers of all the places I've ridden to so no big deal really. It's not any less finished then say your OEM saddlebags. It's just that much more wider when opened so you see those imperfections more clearly. Still, not a big deal to me.

Overall for the price ($259.99)...I give it a 4 - 4.5 out of 5. Only because of the latch, tether and interior finish. Otherwise, for the price I'd be highly encouraged to give it a 5 with those 3 things being better.

The following 3 users liked this post by Paul On The Run:
bbissell (08-03-2018), Dan D. (08-03-2018), Xcrossbow (08-03-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:25 AM
89Speedy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MNRiding

I have a solution to half of your gripe. I had DD Custom Cycles make a custom mount for my iPhone.

I also love those mirrors!! Who makes 'em?

Old 08-10-2018, 06:59 AM
MNRiding
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 89Speedy
I also love those mirrors!! Who makes 'em?
They are Performance Machine

89Speedy (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 07:52 AM
dlawson9944@gmail.com
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mount looks very nice and clean. Do you know if it will still work with windsplitter installed?

Old 08-11-2018, 08:48 AM
MNRiding
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dlawson9944@gmail.com
Mount looks very nice and clean. Do you know if it will still work with windsplitter installed?
Yes it does. I have the the Windsplitter on majority of the time.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:03 AM
Big Cat USA
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Tick
Looks really sharp. Are you running a heavy breather with your lowers and speaker pods? Tell me about your audio a little. I'd love to go back to a RK.
Sorry for the late reply. JCSlim had it correct. Wetsounds amp, Hertz MPX 6.5's and Wetsounds Bluetooth control **** mounted on the clutch side speaker pod, in the lower fairing.

As for your question. I am running the heavy breather. Only problem I haven't found speaker grills that I like yet, or ones that fit. So I run no grills. Works out fine.

@JCSlim, it sounds great. Extremely loud and clear. At 80 even without a windshield I can hear the music perfectly at about 85% volume. At 100% it's still clear. No need for speakers in the saddlebags. I've found they don't add enough to the sound profile to justify the effort.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:01 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

So I'm finally in the position that I have been posturing for, and I put my order in for a 2019 Road King Special to be delivered when I get home from this Middle East vacation, as an addition to my stable. I'm pretty pumped that they put the 114 in them this year, interested to see the color options in photos in a couple days.

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD