Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:55 AM
RKS-Raven
Intermediate
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hagg22
Hi Raven. Been studying bar options and really love these bars you put on. But looking at Road 6 Customs it says the 11" bars are for 2013 and older bikes.? In fact, this is what it says:
" Holey Roller Handlebars for 2013 and older Road Glides
(also will fit other models)"

I'm trying to order the correct bars. Do you have any more information on exactly which bars these are?
Great question! I do agree that the site is confusing. I also had to dig around and find what I was looking for. When I was looking, I looked at the "NEW 2015-2018 Road Glide Holey Roller Handlebars" listed. I knew this was the style and the thickness for the clamp.

In the end, I called them and spoke to a rep and they were really helpful. On their site they only show these with the cutout for the RGs, but naturally the RKS doesn't need that. They understood what I wanted and got it right on the first try. So my advice would be to just give them a call. I am positive you will be happy.

And just so you know, I put new bars on a previous bike and it took me almost 7 hours. With these, due to their design, it took me maybe 2 hours which was mostly tearing down and putting back together.

The following users liked this post:
MNACE1 (03-06-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 10:05 AM
Hagg22
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Raven. Really appreciate the input. I’ll call them.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:39 PM
bluelinerider
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RKS-Raven
Thanks! Here are a couple more. Also, you can get it with or without the pad and if you want a rigid mount, they offer that too. Also check out Ginz Choppers. I read a lot about them from other members and almost went with them until I found mine.
Can you post a pic of the whole bike from the side? I'd like to see how high the 18" bar is compared to the handlebars.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:05 PM
TXBagger
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So who's solo seat are you runnin?
Thx
Ron in North TX

Old 03-03-2018, 03:17 PM
TStew1
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TXBagger
So who's solo seat are you runnin?
Thx
Ron in North TX
I'm running a La Pera bare bones solo and love it. It's extremely comfortable.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:34 AM
Hagg22
Cruiser

love that wrap around fender. does show the wheel better. are those the stock bars?

Old 03-04-2018, 08:46 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 283 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TStew1
I'm running a La Pera bare bones solo and love it. It's extremely comfortable.

Nice setup , take a look @ Brukus seat security fasteners, look good too

Old 03-04-2018, 09:12 PM
swampfox_csa
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 10 Posts

My lovely wife’s new 2018 RKS. Still have some snow and salt on the roads here in Ontario. She’ll likely ride it home in early April. She’s throwing 16” LA Choppers bars, V&H High Output slip ons, a HD Windsplitter and a Daymaker on for now. More to follow no doubt... cuz I’m the one doing all the reading and research. It’s nice when your wife’s bike becomes your project... and she’s paying.

Attached Thumbnails The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD-f64af9e3-cba0-4b25-b62a-dcca9cdb295e.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (08-17-2019)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:57 PM
Hagg22
Cruiser

Originally Posted by swampfox_csa
My lovely wife’s new 2018 RKS. Still have some snow and salt on the roads here in Ontario. She’ll likely ride it home in early April. She’s throwing 16” LA Choppers bars, V&H High Output slip ons, a HD Windsplitter and a Daymaker on for now. More to follow no doubt... cuz I’m the one doing all the reading and research. It’s nice when your wife’s bike becomes your project... and she’s paying.
Love it! Here in Milwaukee, WI wecsbt ride for a while also

Old 03-06-2018, 09:36 PM
MNACE1
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear LEDs

Does anyone have schematic for the rear lights? Looking to add leds in addition to the run factory lights. Can I tap into the wires under the seat before they go under the fender or do I need to tap into them at the lights themselves?

Originally Posted by DC2009EGUC
Hi Folks,

I just saw several posts regarding passing lamps installation on the RKS, and let me tell you, it isn’t so straight forward as I was led to believe when I ventured in this mod. Unlike the standard RK which is prewired from the factory with passing lamps, the RKS is not, there are several pieces of hardware and electrical wires, connectors, and a couple of switches that need to be installed, not to mentioned, the amount of wiring, splicing, and soldering that I had to do to complete this add-on mod.

My passing lamps are EBay specials and it possible that it could be mechanically different from the OEM and the extra hardware that I had to improvised may differ and not applicable from OEM installation. I also discovered The OEM studs were too short to accommodate the passing lamps and Windsplitter windshield so I ended up, procuring longer studs from Home Depot and cutting to exact length specs. I also had to search and add the exact hard plastic spacers that go in between the passing lamps and OEM acorn nuts so that the Windsplitter windshield will altogether fit with the new passing lamps. It wasn’t easy but if you have average mechanical skills lie me and aren’t afraid to experience trial and error, you can do it.

So, with most of the mechanical parts and pieces out of the way, the second part of this mod is what I hated most since it involves a lot splicing, wiring, and soldering. Crimping connectors are also are also recommended, but I prefer to solder to resist future electrical issues. With regard to the electrical switches, I found the standard home depot switches are rock solid and can withstand most environmental elements.

To find the best source of power for the mod, I decided to tap into the P&A accessory circuit as this line provides up to 20amps for DC current as these LEDs draw current 1.5 amps for both passing lamps. Since I had the entire headlamp nacelle opened, I also decided to add heated grips and oil cooler fan kit and tapped power source to the P&An accessory circuit. With regard to the passing lamps electrical wiring, I had to manually run wires from both lamps and turn signals all the way back to the headlight nacelle. As you can see this form the attach photos, I used various types of wire shielding and shrink tubing to protect the wires from chaffing.

Finally, I would highly recommend procuring the factory service manual when doing this mod most especially the electrical schematics provided invaluable information and reference. Anyone can really do this mod but due to several mechanical and electrical complexities required based on my average skill sets, it took me a fairly long amount of time to complete as I still had to attend to the day time job…lol

I have posted here some close up pictures of the entire mod to give some perspective.

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD