Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child Harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:05 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Child Harness

throw em the tourpac and make sure its locked! if you hear noises (like screaming), that is when you use the duct tape! Course the better half has a slightly different view than i do on this topic. Ouch, that hurt!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:38 PM
deaded
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made my own version of "original" model of this: http://www.buddybelt.com/for about $20 in material.
It's just adjustable handles on a belt. The passenger does have to stay awake with this one but they don't have to wrap around to hold on.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:45 PM
E DOGG
Road Master

I drive my CAR if I have to have the kids with me.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 07RoadGlide

Always naysayers. [8D]I also appreciate everyones opinions. You know what they say about opinions...they're like buttholes, everyones got one and they all stink. In all seriousness though, the only person who can make the decision to ride or not ride with a child passenger is yourself, and all inherent risks should be weighed. On the same note, be ready to accept the outcome, if, in fact, an accident does happen. I chose to let my kids ride because they ask to ride and like to ride. However, there are folks who will buy their kids an ATV or a dirtbike and never blink an eye though, but yet they would turn around and criticize you for riding with a kid on the back.On the same note, your kids can be in the back of your minivan, SUV, or whatever you drive and you could just as easily get run over by an 18 wheeler out on the interstate (hypothetically written, I don't truly think truckdrivers target folks driving SUVs or minivans). Ultimately, the responsibility falls on you.
I think the attaching of a child to ones self is what we all say no about, have a problem with. I take my Stepdaughter on the back of my scoot but she holds on to the grab bars and her feet are on the passenger floor boards. I have the wrap around seat and king tour pack so she ain't going off the back. Now if we have impact from the front she'll be airborne with me. At least I have peace of mind knowing that in all likelihoodmy fat A$$ and going to land on her.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:49 AM
DAWG_6
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, my wife and I have been wrestling with this for a while now....my youngest are 8 and 4......I have used a nylon duty belt to secure my 4 year old to me with a passenger backrest on both my FLHR and FLHTC. The 8 year old can hold on to me, use the passenger pegs/boards and does well. I recently used a Hydrastorm water backpac (no bladder) and used it to secure the little one to a belt I was wearing. (put the belt through the shoulder straps)....Since adding a driver backrest to both bikes, they seem more secure. The biggest problem I have is the little one falls asleep within 20 minutes of the ride. His full face helmet hits my back and I know he's done.

I don't like the idea of securing them to the bike, as they will go down with the bike if that happens. Which is why we don't take them anymore. At least not until they are older. I stick to short ones around the neighborhood (I know, I know - that's dangerous, too). When they are both a little older, we'll be able to share this with them more.

Stay safe.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Grackle
Stage IV

In Texas, the current law is 5 years old to ride as passenger.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:40 AM
WireDawg77
Cruiser

I wouldnt strap my kid on the bike or on me. If I crash, my kid is gonna slide down the road with me. Not good.... Just sayin.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

wow...this has to be a record....a thread on hiatus for 5+ years brought back to life.

and, i don't care for the idea of strapping a kid to anything on the back of a bike. they should be old enough to reach pegs, hold on and know they can't be movign all over hell back there.