Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child Harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:39 AM
berettag
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Child Harness

"I also know guys who have bungied the OL to them so she wouldn't fall off when drunk, but that is a TOTALLY different story IMHO........."

[sm=funnypostabove.gif] Blew coffee outa my nose on that one!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:57 AM
1SG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A tour pak and the passenger back rest that has the arm rest, that traps them in, they don,t even have to hang on.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Pawnbroker

I would like to chime in here regarding the editorializing. I know this is an open forum and all, but I think it would be better if we all just stuck to answering the questions asked. Seems like a lot of the time, people are offering their opinion on whether they think something is a good idea rather than answering the question. If the guy had asked, "hey, what do you guys think about me taking my kid for a ride", then some of the responses would be justified. But as it is, he didn't ask anyone what they thought about riding kids on a motorcycle.

Thanks for listening,

Dave...
1) If you're assuming the role of forum police and plan to make this same statement for every thread that has what you consider off-topic answers, get busy- you've got a couple thousand threads to chime in on.

2) Your post had nothing to do with the OP's original subject either.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:50 PM
h9ll
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Lost1

This subject came up awhile back- personally I wouldn't want to strap a child to me on a bike. If you go down, get hit, whatever, you and the child will go down as a unit. With a 200+ lb. adult & a 40 lb. child sliding along the pavement together, I don't see any way possible for the kid to come out ahead. I'd hate to survive an accident only to find that I had done so because my child insulated me from the pavement...

Just my .02
Exactly what I was thinking...used to ride on the back of my Mom's or Pop's bike when I was little. Hell, thats a major factor in why I ride now but I couldn't imagine being tethered to them. Sissybar seems like it would be good enough.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:58 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree one should check laws. Here in WA leagle age to ride on a bike is 5yrs old. I don't have much issue takin my son (he is 5) around the block or in the sub-division.... but wouldn't wanna take him out on the road. I typically don't ride the same 2-up as I do solo. I'm much more 'cautious' with a passenger. Course depending on the bike it can make things easier. The Ultra is the perfect bike for youngins. Put a back-rest on the rider's seat and you pretty much lock in anyone behind ya. Grab bars are a nice addition as well instead of using a 'strap'.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:05 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to agree with some of the others. I don't think a child that can't reach foot pegs should ride on a motorcycle on any public road or hwy. I know, we did it too...When our kids were small .... way back in the day...

Granted, nothing bad ever happened....BUT... when I think back now, and know what I know now ... I shudder to think what could have happened. Those were the days when safety awareness for children was just starting. I remember carrying my newborn daughter around in our car in a car bed. ... didn't even know about car seats for children never mind infants.That was 30 years ago. Knowledge and statistics have changed enormously since then.

I wouldn't dare take that chance with their precious lives now, like I did then...I would find better, safer ways to entertain them untilthey are bigenough to do itassafe as possible...Don't think for one minute because you are such a good driver and you will be as careful as can be ... Accidents happen! That's why they call them accidents!

Old 06-04-2007, 07:49 PM
03FLHT2
Advanced

Well when my son was younger just around the block or two. When his mother and I got divorced and she moved off to Florida. I use to ride to Florida to see him. Though he spen the summers with me, so when he turned 11 he and I toured the the country. 10,000+ miles and 22 states. He was really good most days though when I needed to make time to the next hang out area a few hundered miles, tank to tank riding for a day he would get tired and start to fall asleep sense we were doing mostly Highway riding at the time I would bungee him in to Classic back rest and he would lay back and sleep. Though when we got in heavy traffic areas I would pull over and wake him up and unstrap. I never felt guilty on the highway long haul doing the bungee thing. Even pulled into gas stations without waking him, fillup and continue on our way. I will say this now that he's 26 he still remembers the ride through America. He got to see more of this country than most people I know that ride as adults. When he was a 11-14 thats how we spent our summer vac. togeather. You Know we never seem to have fights as he got older. He saw 46 states that way. Just us two. God I miss those times.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 03FLHT2

...when he turned 11 he and I toured the the country. 10,000+ miles and 22 states...
That sounds awesome!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:46 PM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer

Hmm, if they can reach the pegs and wear protective gear why not? I wouldn't strap though. Sissy bar and driver backrest would be my preference. Dangerous? Possibly, but no worse than the tens of cagers I see every day with little kids bouncing around the back seat instead of sitting in seat belts or restraints. At least on the bike they have to sit.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
07RoadGlide
Banned

Always naysayers. [8D]I also appreciate everyones opinions. You know what they say about opinions...they're like buttholes, everyones got one and they all stink. In all seriousness though, the only person who can make the decision to ride or not ride with a child passenger is yourself, and all inherent risks should be weighed. On the same note, be ready to accept the outcome, if, in fact, an accident does happen. I chose to let my kids ride because they ask to ride and like to ride. However, there are folks who will buy their kids an ATV or a dirtbike and never blink an eye though, but yet they would turn around and criticize you for riding with a kid on the back.On the same note, your kids can be in the back of your minivan, SUV, or whatever you drive and you could just as easily get run over by an 18 wheeler out on the interstate (hypothetically written, I don't truly think truckdrivers target folks driving SUVs or minivans). Ultimately, the responsibility falls on you.

Quick Reply: Child Harness