Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynojet-Power Vision

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 08:40 AM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Dynojet-Power Vision

I have this tuner in my cart along with a cam and pipes.
My question is with the tuner there is a option that you can add called "target tune close loop". What is this exactly. Do I need this? I don't think I'll be doing any other mods to this bike. Also so does this tuner change the fuel?
Thanks for you help guys.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:57 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Target Tune is an addition to the Power Vision tuner, which essentially eliminates the need for your bike to be tuned on a dynomometer. Moreover, it tunes "on the fly" while you're riding. So if you're doing a lot of touring, and seeing significant elevation changes while you ride, it can come in very handy as your bike will perform at optimum levels no matter where you are.

It utilizes 18mm bungs, which are larger than stock O2 bungs (12mm). If you're replacing your entire exhaust system, now is the time to add TT to your mods if it's of interest to you as the bungs have to be welded in.

Your other option is to leave it out of the lineup of your desired mods, and take your bike in to have it tuned on the dyno by a good tuner. "Good" being the operative word. The PV will auto tune, and in fact if you purchase your PV from Fuel Moto there's a good chance that you won't need to take it in for a dyno run. It requires familiarizing yourself with auto tune runs, and then data logging so that you can send your data logs to FM for them to adjust as needed. By doing that you'll be able to get your tune extremely close, if not spot on. That option could very well work out better for you as not all tuners are created equal, yet few are as good as Fuel Moto.

I went with the PV from FM, and still took my bike in for a tune, but I have access to a very good tuner in the Bay Area, and my long distance touring is behind me at this stage...so it made the most sense for me. I am intrigued with the Target Tune nonetheless.

Good luck, and have fun with it all!

Last edited by gipper; 03-15-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Go Here:

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-28398-...ision.html#fm4

Scroll to the Target Tune tab. Read all about it directly from the horses mouth.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:17 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I run the target tune on my bike, just stage 1 no cams "yet". The bike runs great no issues in 15k, MPGs are good etc..... It's not a must have but I think it's worth it especially if you don't have a good tuner in the area.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:36 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by CR3999
I have this tuner in my cart along with a cam and pipes.
My question is with the tuner there is a option that you can add called "target tune close loop". What is this exactly. Do I need this? I don't think I'll be doing any other mods to this bike. Also so does this tuner change the fuel?
Thanks for you help guys.
Target Tune offers live fuel correction as you ride over the entire RPM/load range, from idle to full throttle operation. The overall benefits of the Target Tune kit really depend on the overall combination you are running and the accuracy of the base map, for many Stage 1 type combinations it may not generally be necessary. It does work really well for maintaining air/fuel mixture in various conditions from sea level to high altitude.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 03-15-2017, 03:38 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm getting all of this from Fuel Moto.
222 Woods cam, Vance and Hines Power Duals with Rhinehart mufflers.
So if I'm understanding this I'll need to change the O2 sensors, which are bigger than the stock. I'm guessing there are adapters for this mod?(if I go with the target tune)
So with this hardware mentioned above, I could get a map that is spot on for this combination of products without the target tune? Thanks!

Old 03-15-2017, 04:13 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by CR3999
I'm getting all of this from Fuel Moto.
222 Woods cam, Vance and Hines Power Duals with Rhinehart mufflers.
So if I'm understanding this I'll need to change the O2 sensors, which are bigger than the stock. I'm guessing there are adapters for this mod?(if I go with the target tune)
So with this hardware mentioned above, I could get a map that is spot on for this combination of products without the target tune? Thanks!

Check with fuel Moto on the power dual head pipe having both stock 12mm bungs and the 18mm bungs for Target tune add on. I can tell you from personal experience that fuel Moto will preload a map for you for the 222 cams. You can leave the map as is, it will be extremely close. With the PV, you can run auto tune with the stock 12mm sensors, and be really close, but Target tune ensures real time achievement of the AFR table values at all RPM points, any altitude. Depends on how **** you want to be for a spot on tune. You can't easily adapt 18mm wide band sensors in 12mm threaded holes. Either buy a head pipe with both sets of bungs, or buy one for a 2009 model bike that was factory stock with 18mm sensors, or weld in the 18mm bungs. I think the power duals now offer both bungs.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:36 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by RK14SGS
Check with fuel Moto on the power dual head pipe having both stock 12mm bungs and the 18mm bungs for Target tune add on. I can tell you from personal experience that fuel Moto will preload a map for you for the 222 cams. You can leave the map as is, it will be extremely close. With the PV, you can run auto tune with the stock 12mm sensors, and be really close, but Target tune ensures real time achievement of the AFR table values at all RPM points, any altitude. Depends on how **** you want to be for a spot on tune. You can't easily adapt 18mm wide band sensors in 12mm threaded holes. Either buy a head pipe with both sets of bungs, or buy one for a 2009 model bike that was factory stock with 18mm sensors, or weld in the 18mm bungs. I think the power duals now offer both bungs.
This is my take on it. From my experience with Fuel Moto the map they provide will be very close. More than likely close enough for the narrow bands to do any minor tweaking of the tune.

The wide bands (Target Tune) would come into play if you ride in extreme elevation and weather changes where the swings would be outside the normal compensation of the factory ECM. The newer ECM's monitor the O2 sensors and change the mixture on the fly if it senses that the motor is operated outside the accepted range.

These devices (Power Vision and FP3) in auto tune mode only modify the AFR parameters of the tune (from what I have read on their sites) . If our desire is to get the maximum performance out of your particular bike than a dyno tune by someone that knows what they are doing is the only way that will happen.

My opinion and it's only an opinion is that you really don't need it but if you want to fiddle with the settings all the time it won't hurt to have it. I think most of us don't

Old 03-15-2017, 04:45 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

The Target Tune will come with 18mm O2 sensors and the necessary wiring harnesses. If the exhaust your running doesn't have 18mm bungs you'll have to have them added.
One phone call to Fuel Moro will answer all of your questions. They don't bite.