Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Tuned Flow and Stage 1 Download???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:47 AM
jcboof
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hooker Tuned Flow and Stage 1 Download???

Hey guys, I've just installed my new Hooker Tuned Flow slip ons on my 02 RKC and I love the way they sound, I have the SE Stage 1 a/c and the stage 1 download and I'm wondering if it will be ok. I had Vance and Hines basic slip ons on before and it worked flawlessly but I wanted a little more sound out of my bike, so I opted for the Hookers, But I've noticed alot of popping on decel now.
I noticed on the instructions for the Hookers, that they dont recommend using the pipes with the harley download because of excessive lean conditions. Are they right???
Would I be better off switching to a PCIII or putting my V&H back on. I just want to make sure the bike runs right.

The Hookers seem to be about the most free flowing slip ons out there and Im just wondering if I will damage my bike by running them with out a different programmer.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:05 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hooker Tuned Flow and Stage 1 Download???

I've had the Hookers on my last 3 baggers. I've tried several slip-ons, and the Hookers definitely flow the most. Keep in mind that the Hookers have adjustable baffles, and the wider you open them, the more air they flow and the leaner you'll be running. But the sound!!!!! Like you, I also had (and still have) the stage I A/C and stage I download. It won't work - the Hookers simply flow too much air, even at the smallest baffle setting. The decel popping is a surefire indicator that you are running lean. I finally put on a PCIII and had a dynotune. The popping diminished 90%. I tried going adifferent route initially by buying different pipes, and that solved the popping problem. However, none of the pipes came close to matching the deep and powerful sound of the Hookers. I ended up selling the other pipes, bought the PCIII, and am a happy camper. You simply can't get around the sound of the Hookers, especially at the HP setting. My neighbor, who has a beautiful RK Custom with V&H slip-ons, calls my bike "The Beast". His pipes sound really good, but they don't compare to the sound that my Hookers produce. The megaphone design of the Hookers serves to amplify the sound, and the result is basso profundo.

If you're happy with the sound of your Hookers, I really don't see a way that you can tune them properly without adding a PCIII, SERT or something similar. Good luck!

Doug

Old 06-02-2007, 04:22 PM
jcboof
Tourer

WOW that really answered about all of my questions. I'm gonna put my V&H slip ons back on for now till I get a pcIII. Thanks for the help.
Yeah, I LOVE THE SOUND OF THE HOOKERS!!! They are sooooo deep and powerful sounding, I'm not gonna be happy without em on my ride.

UGGA: what kind of HP numbers you getting out of your bike?

I'm hoping to be a bit above the setup i'm running now with the stage 1 and the slip ons by switching to the PCIII and my Hookers.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:14 PM
lars.eelman
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Hookers,

I am also looking for an exhaust with better sound than stock. Like the soun of the Hookers, but the look of the Rineharts. Unfortunately here in Holland almost everybody is havind the V&H ovals. So I don't know how Rineharts are sounding. Is it like the Hookers? Do the Rineharts sound lower than the V&H with thei tint sound?

Old 06-03-2007, 01:31 PM
jcboof
Tourer

I'm partial to vance and hines ovals also. The rineharts sound good but not at good as the Hookers IMHO.