Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
78.60%
No - I'd buy a used Harley
18.46%
No - I'd buy a Metric
2.93%
Voters: 1706. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:37 AM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?

I rode a Night Rod at the Tx HOG rally a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed all that power. Did not enjoy the riding position at all. Since then I have been having some interesting conversations concerning a Water Cooled Ultra Classic. Some say that once it goes water cooled, there is no reason to buy Harley anymore. I disagree. I think at the end of the day a Harley is a Harley regardless of whether or not it's liquid cooled.
What say you?

Old 06-02-2007, 04:01 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?

I really hope they keep making Harley's air-cooled. They make me feel nostalgic and like they are "simpler". That is as long as the EPA police don't make it illegal to use engine tuners etc. I know SEMA is fighting that tooth and nail. One problem is, a lot of consumers are complaining to Harley about the lean running and heat etc. not realizing that that is being done so that at least we can still buy an air-cooled motorcycle.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:01 AM
clarkg1124
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water-cooling is inevitable,given the tougher EPA rules.I would not be opposed to a bagger with a radiator,provided that the character of the bike is maintained.
Clark

Old 06-02-2007, 06:17 AM
bikergeoff
Road Master

I like the nostalgia and simplicity of air cooling, but water cooling is inevitable. I previously owned two water cooled metrics and they were nice, so I don't think it would be so bad to have a water cooled Harley.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:30 AM
kjunguy
Cruiser

I really hope they keep making Harley's air-cooled. They make me feel nostalgic and like they are "simpler".
To me, it's simple! If you want a water-cooled touring bike then go buy a rice burner. I think a majority of Harley customers are old school type riders. I mean, let's face it, when you think an 'old school' type of bike do you think Harley or metric? Just keep it simple and real!! IMHO

[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 06-02-2007, 07:33 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I would buy a Harley water cooled bike, when there is no other choice due to the EPA. But I would still keep they "old" air cooled one for nostalgic reasons.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:41 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: kjunguy

I really hope they keep making Harley's air-cooled. They make me feel nostalgic and like they are "simpler".
To me, it's simple! If you want a water-cooled touring bike then go buy a rice burner. I think a majority of Harley customers are old school type riders. I mean, let's face it, when you think an 'old school' type of bike do you think Harley or metric? Just keep it simple and real!! IMHO

[sm=badidea.gif]

"majority of Harley customers are old school type riders"..?????..man..., me thinks you haven't been to a dealership lately...majority of Harley customers have NEVER kicked-start a Harley in their lifetime..personally I never thought I would want to buy a H2o-Glide, but if it means 110HP and Torque out of the box...sign me up..

Old 06-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd buy one- if that was all that was available and they did a good job of hiding the radiator & plumbing. Considering the 96 engine is, at 1.6L, bigger than the engine in some compact cars, it's no wonder people are complaining of heat. If the engine keeps getting bigger, and the idiots at the EPA keep getting stricter, I don't see how the MoCo can stay with an air-cooled design. Personally, I think they've done a helluva good job with the 96, considering the limitations imposed on them by the dipsticks at EPA.

On the other hand, what I wouldn't tolerate is a counterbalanced engine. To me, vibes are what gives a motorcycle soul and personality; take that away and you might as well buy one of those cheapo plastichromed Harley-ripoff ricers <yawn> at half the cost. Right now we have a choice between counterbalanced and non-counterbalanced engines- hopefully H-D will keep it that way.
Keep the vibes and I'll buy a Harley with any kind of cooling system.
Take away the vibes and I'm looking for something a little more macho- like a minivan...[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 06-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

Depends on the design of the whole bike and not just the motor.

Water cooling is not that big a deal as far as upkeep... change the coolant every 2 years with a non-silicate AF.... replace the hoses every 4 years no big deal.

If it was going to be a bagger with injector issues, transmission problems, and with a overall reduction in quality or in other words what we have had since say 03... probably not.

If they were going to take the VROD engine and work it into a bagger I'd be curious. Kawasaki is about to reaease the new Concours models, first redesign since around 1985... with a detuned ZX-14 motor as it's powerplant. Detuned for a couple reasons... chasis strength probably and besides who needs to go 200 on a spourt/touring bike? But on the flip side the performance goodies such as cams might swap out.

If the VRSCA motor was in a bagger frame imagine the fun we could have? With a OD 6 speed we could have bottom end grunt... the thing Twins are noted for AND the ability to get out on open road, stretch the feet out on the highway pegs and cruise without having the engine running at 6 grand.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:27 AM
maltezebluez96
Cruiser

The way I see it things are going to change with time.....Here's my reason why I think it would be OK,....Harley IMO did a really nice job in installing the air cool system in the V-Rod and I can't imagine them just throwing something on one of our other bikes. I'm sure it'll blend right into the flow of the bike and I'm not worried about it. Besides like so many others I have 2 bikes which simply means you can have the best of both worlds old and new........Change is always inevitable

Quick Reply: Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?