Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
78.60%
No - I'd buy a used Harley
18.46%
No - I'd buy a Metric
2.93%
Voters: 1706. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:03 PM
TwoBaggerz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?

None for me thanks...

Old 06-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Spartan
Road Captain

If they can find a way to hide that fugly radiator, then I'd seriously consider it. I hada VTX 1800 andone of the few things I didn't like about it was the radiator, which looked like it came out of a F350.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:15 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

The day they make a water cooled touring bike I.ll buy last years SEUC and make it last till they put me in a pine box!!!! I bought my ultra for the sound and feel, heat and all. Let me decide what I want, old school or new,That is why I dont buy a new car. I want V8 4 speed rear wheel drive not some rice burner that sounds like a fart in a jug! I want something to get into NOT put in on and ware it!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 12:25 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd keep my 06 RK Cl until it died. I'd hate to think that I had to buy a water-cooled Harley. Seems to me to be just one more thing that would need occasional fixing.

Hack

Old 06-03-2007, 01:08 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

HELL NO!!!!!!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 01:58 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

A water-cooled engine would be much more reliable and run much longer without a rebuild. The air-cooled engine has enormous stresses put on it by constantly varying temps, which causes oil viscosity fluxuations, and a bunch of other issues not the least of which is the severe heat they are emitting while trying to meet the EPA guidelines. People in the Sunbelt will buy water-cooled Harleys.

Harley didn't last this long by alienating it's customers. It will come out with one that will please a huge majority of touring riders and still keep the air cooled engines for the purists. Dyna and Softtail people may have to wait longer, but they'll have them, too. The motor's got to have the same look, so expect fins on the jugs even though water will be flowing behind. And, of course, it has to be 45-degree in order to get the Harley sound. The V-rod and Buell are the tests bed but Harley was smart enough to make them almost totally different bikes in order not to tread on the mystique of the Harley look and feel. The new water-cooled bikes won't look like BMWs or Gold Wings. Why would going to water-cooled necessitate that? Why would Harley want to screw with a look and feel formula that has made it the most sought-after motorcyle brand in the world?

Some people are already building V-rod baggers. I talked to a guy I met at Arlen Ness's shop this week and his next project is a V-rod bagger. Water-cooled choppers are just around the corner as well.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:16 AM
Seawolf
Tourer

Living in Florida I can appreciate liquid cooling, but it ads maintenance cost to the bike and it's another part that if it goes bad and breaks will cost you a ton of money to fix.

As these bikes are now it does not take a genius to work on them and maintain them, that's why I like HD. I think a water cooled HD touring bike would be good for a certain few, but I like the KISS system. Keep It Simple Stupid.

I'm sure if you go back and look at the FI argument you will see the same types of responses you are here.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:14 AM
kpshooter
Cruiser

Hopefully they would be able to keep the "character" of the curernt bikes if they HAD to switch over to water-cooled.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:04 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

After reading a lot of posts, I hear a lot of people talking about it being hot in the Sun belt??? Daaaa, what has it been doing for the past 100 years?? the old bikes, pans, shovels, evos, nuckles and others ran for all those years Without water. I think Some are looking for an excuse to have a 2 wheel civic with a harley badge. Just my $.02 Dan

Old 06-04-2007, 01:42 AM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started this poll because of some conversations I had. Until last night, I really didn't think mine was running hot. That is until I was stuck in stop and go traffic for 1 hr 45 minutes. I thought my jeans were going to melt (or catch on fire) and become part of my skin. And that was on the left side. I run Amsoil in engine and primary and bel-ray in the tranny. It was HOT! I really love this bike and I will keep it and try to avoid this type of traffic, but damn. I am now considering the parade mapping.
I was told (by the dealer) that once the temp outside gets above 70, then the lowers need to come off. WTF?? I use the glove compartments in them and besides I like the way they look and the protection they afford. Sorry, starting to rant.
Anyway, give me liquid cooling on my bike and don't change anything else, keep it exactly as is and add a radiator mounted between the lowers, as a matter of fact make it part of the lowers so it really doesn't change the look at all. The upside - more power, more torque, less heat and will probably get rid of the clatter. The downside - a change in the 25000 mile checkup to replace the radiator fluid. Give it to me now.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?