Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
78.60%
No - I'd buy a used Harley
18.46%
No - I'd buy a Metric
2.93%
Voters: 1706. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:13 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drukanfu
Does BMW have a water cooled ? They even have strickter pollution laws.
Yes. I believe everything BMW makes is either water or oil cooled. They got away from pure-air-cooling a while ago.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:16 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
About the same price as an Ultra or Limited and not nearly as good looking. I guess you compared it to the CVO to make a point.
Compare dollar for dollar, and the Ultra or Limited REALLY look weak.

Lets see...from the factory, in base trim, the K1600GTL has over 2x the power (HP and TQ), about the same storage, ABS, traction control, rider-selectable suspension, power windshield, heated seats, heated grips, navigation, far better handling, far better brakes, weighs about 250lbs less...

You really want me to go on?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:19 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by '05Train
This is an oft-quoted myth that keeps on being repeated. There are metric brands who make V-Twin cruisers for people that either can't afford a Harley, or wouldn't be caught dead on one. They sell a ton of those machines, and the vast majority of them are water cooled.

For people who actually ride, there's no doubt that water cooling, fuel injection, electronic ignition, monoshocks, and all the other technology being used on superior bikes are good things. Harley can't lose by adopting new technology which makes the bikes more rideable and more reliable.

Because what that does is make them more capable touring machines that'll be taken seriously by riders. The 1,000-mile-a-year club and the people that gripe about tradition and archaic technology aren't the people who'll keep the MoCo going for the next 100 years. It's the guys who seriously tour, who'll put 100,000 miles on a bike in 3 or 4 years and then trade up for another that the MoCo needs to cater to.
Exactly - the 1000 mile a year RUB is not the buyer that will keep HD alive.

Its those of us who put more like 500 miles a week on them.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:20 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by beary
Nothing mythical, they sell a ton of those bikes to folks who don't want a Harley, usually because they can't afford them.
Can't afford them?

You priced a metric lately? They're right up there with HD.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by honorsdaddy
Compare dollar for dollar, and the Ultra or Limited REALLY look weak.

Lets see...from the factory, in base trim, the K1600GTL has over 2x the power (HP and TQ), about the same storage, ABS, traction control, rider-selectable suspension, power windshield, heated seats, heated grips, navigation, far better handling, far better brakes, weighs about 250lbs less...

You really want me to go on?
I took a test ride on a K1600GTL this weekend. This bike is light years ahead of the Gold Wing, Electra Glide, Vision and everything else in the touring bike space. The power and handling was incredible. I could very well be riding my last Harley.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:04 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Geoff
I took a test ride on a K1600GTL this weekend. This bike is light years ahead of the Gold Wing, Electra Glide, Vision and everything else in the touring bike space. The power and handling was incredible. I could very well be riding my last Harley.
We'll be keeping the Road Glide, probably forever, for the simple reason that my wife loves it.

However, we have both decided the K1600GTL will be the Road Glide's stablemate - and will probably be the bike we use for anything over a tank of gas away.

Comparing the BMW to anything from, well, anyone, just isn't a fair comparison. There's nothing like it anywhere. Its almost insulting to compare it to anything from HD.

Sadly, HD could make a bike like that if they wanted to. There's just too many Kool-Aid drinkers who would whine and complain for the first 3 years it was on the market...kinda like they did with the VRSC.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:11 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry I do ride a bit more than 1000 miles a year and I like a traditional Harley , yes there are other bikes that have more favorable features or at leat more favaored features but that doesn't mean everyone wants a "wonderbike". I also drive and own a few early 1960's cars and enjoy them too , I am not knocking import cars but a Audi,Lexus,Mercedes, Toyota etc. hold zero interest for me, dont think there bad or a lesser vehicle, just don't like them. New Chargers, Challengers, Mustangs and Cameros, old style technology and would take any and all of them. Same goes for my bike, I like the traditional aspects of the Harley and they are perfectly capable of running anywhere anytime. REally glad that people have a choice of what to ride and hope it continues for a long time

Old 06-20-2011, 01:13 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Next thing ya know we'll be see'in 16" Paul Yaffe Monkey bars and Floor boards on BMW K1600GTL 's on this Forum. Makes me sick.....

Old 06-20-2011, 01:19 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB
. New Chargers, Challengers, Mustangs and Cameros, old style technology and would take any and all of them. Same goes for my bike, I like the traditional aspects of the Harley and they are perfectly capable of running anywhere anytime. REally glad that people have a choice of what to ride and hope it continues for a long time
The new Chargers, Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros are hardly what I would call "old style technology".

What they are is retro-styled designs with modern running gear.

They are also not what keeps Chrysler, Ford or GM in business.

There's no reason HD could not continue to produce outdated, underpowered, overweight, overpriced, inefficient heat-factories for people that want a "classic" bike. The other 98% of their buyers will purchase the updated, underweight, overpowered, reasonably priced, efficient bikes.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:24 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by drukanfu
Next thing ya know we'll be see'in 16" Paul Yaffe Monkey bars and Floor boards on BMW K1600GTL 's on this Forum. Makes me sick.....
Nah - no need to put anything like that on there.

Its already very comfy from the factory, and you dont need to make it stand out from everyone else's when there arent that many of them. Besides, you're not going to park a bike like that very much. Its so much more fun to ride it.

Like i said - we're keeping the FLTR, because we love it, but we don't assign it magical qualities it simply does not have. Its a comfortable, underpowered, overweight, V-twin touring bike. That's it. Its like driving a classic car - you get used to the fact that modern econoboxes can stomp the **** out of you at the lights, and do it in far greater comfort.

Last edited by honorsdaddy; 06-20-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?