Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
78.60%
No - I'd buy a used Harley
18.46%
No - I'd buy a Metric
2.93%
Voters: 1706. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:40 AM
swoopjr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kasper
Ya that's warm alright! Do you and everyone else that rides do alot of riding during the day when it is 119. I only ask because have have read in quite a few biker magazines that this is the time of the year when most people down your way don't actually ride. I have read that the people down your way actually do most of your riding while we are freezing our ***'s off. I just got to an article today in my American Iron Magazine about some riding down your way in the winter months. I have not even read it yet. I'll start it tomorrow.

I ride less this time of year. I can head into the higher elevations fairly easy from here, which drops the temps 10 degrees or so. I'm good until about 110 then I wimp out.

The rest of the year is perfect down here, I grew up in Oregon so I've had my fill of that weather.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:55 AM
hythomasf
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would buy a water cooled and it would give me the reason to keep my '02 RKC. But a watercooled UC should be capable for a longer Autobahn ride at 110 mph (180 km/h).

Old 07-16-2010, 06:30 AM
gwcrim
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kasper, you have a sweet bike. I bet you have enough money in aftermarket to buy another new one. That's not the norm. Most people don't buy a new vehicle only to scrap most of the original parts and replace them with hi perf stuff.

BTW..... do you still use a corded rotary dial phone? A dial up modem on your computer? Points and a carb in your cars? Black and white TV? An ice box to keep your brewskis cold?

Harley sales are suffering. They were losing market share even before this recession. Sure wouldn't hurt to offer a couple modern bikes. Might attract that new generation of riders that are taking their business elsewhere.

Who would have thunk that Anheuser Busch or Chrysler would someday be foreign owned. Is Harley next?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:53 PM
fulton
Stage II
Default Technology-Would you buy a Black & white TV

2004 Road Glide Owner:
I only wish they made them water cooled when I bought mine.
Sure when you Bar Hop they don't even get a chance to get hot.
Our bikes have a maximum operating temp of 230 degrees.
My bike is equipped with Tour pak and Front lower Farings. I also have a Super Premium Oil Cooler installed. Also have the digital temp oil dip stick.
On a 90+degree day on the Interstate the bikes run right at 230 when you have Faring lowers during highway driving. If you happen to get off interstate for any amount of time or get stuck in traffic I've watched that dipstick go to 245 and that is with an oil cooler.
Why would anybody subject themselves to that.
In the summer I remove the Lowers and on those cold mornings install the soft vinyl lowers on my crash bars. Cant tell you what a hassle that is.
So get with it...WATER COOLING is a MAJOR improvement.
It still going to say HARLEY DAVIDSON on your tank!
PS. Guaranteed the guys that dont want water cooling probably need to look up what the word "TOURING" means.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:47 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

Originally Posted by TexasRanger
I rode a Night Rod at the Tx HOG rally a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed all that power. Did not enjoy the riding position at all. Since then I have been having some interesting conversations concerning a Water Cooled Ultra Classic. Some say that once it goes water cooled, there is no reason to buy Harley anymore. I disagree. I think at the end of the day a Harley is a Harley regardless of whether or not it's liquid cooled.
What say you?
I say I am done with them...

Old 12-22-2010, 09:03 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't buy for at least 5 years into their production as to let HD get the bugs ironed out.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by fulton
Our bikes have a maximum operating temp of 230 degrees.
This is absolutely untrue. Our bikes will run just fine with much higher oil temperatures. Mine's been doing it for 26,000 miles and counting.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdwg_rugby
I say I am done with them...
+1 I also refuse to drive water-cooled cars.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:33 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow! 79% yes. MOCO . . . are you watching??????

Old 12-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Cme2c
Tourer

I've been holding out for one for years. Finally had to buy a new tourer, almost bought a BMW, but when all was said & done, I had to go back to Harley. I'll be 1st in line the second year they come out (no way would I buy a first year edition of anything, especially a H-D)

Quick Reply: Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?