Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
78.60%
No - I'd buy a used Harley
18.46%
No - I'd buy a Metric
2.93%
Voters: 1706. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:35 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you need a Jim's 120 & a Tmax???
To answer your question, because people are asking for it, actually for over a decade.
Water cooled engines have a much more stable operating temperature (Advantage), say what you will.... a water cooled engine will develop more reliable horsepower.
Like I said, the air cooled engine is NOT going away. A/F ratios have nothing to do with it.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 PM
swoopjr
Tourer

Originally Posted by Kasper
Can I ask why you say we are going to see one? Can I also ask why you think we need one?

The twin cam already runs at an air fuel ratio of 14.7:1 and has proven that it runs fine in doing so, well except for the little problem of the CVO 110 which seems to have been sorted out now. You can't run it any leaner than that......not even if it was water cooled. So why would they change it? What advantage would they gain? Maybe stop a few whiners complaining of heat.....but I don't think your going to feel any cooler riding a water cooled bike as the heat generated has to get released somewhere and the air travels rearward when riding. I just fail to really see much advantage of water cooling the Harley motor.

If you lived in Arizona instead of BC you would understand. The V-Rod I had didn't get hot at all compared to my street glide.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 PM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets see, if I was a competitor of Harley and wanted them to quit making bikes because of the tradition and heritage what would I do? Probably send a bunch of money and Political Action Committees over here to keep driving the legislators crazy until the passed enough emmissions laws or other laws to put the competition's edge out of existance. The smucks running this country can either be bought or just don't really care about most things American so what do you think will happen? Pretty soon we will see water cooled engines on harley's and if they lose that "sound" or "mystique" that has kept them going for 100+ years, goodbye Harley. Just a matter of time so enjoy them while there here.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:30 PM
thebarzeen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get me a 1600cc vrod instead of the 1250cc and I'd be more than happy to tour on it..... I bought a Harley because I like the fit, finish, aftermarket support, and the dealer network not because I want to play bad-*** biker on the weekends..... I don't care if it's steam powered, runs on rice, or is water cooled......

Old 07-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Kasper
Tourer

Originally Posted by extech
Why do you need a Jim's 120 & a Tmax???
To answer your question, because people are asking for it, actually for over a decade.
Water cooled engines have a much more stable operating temperature (Advantage), say what you will.... a water cooled engine will develop more reliable horsepower.
Like I said, the air cooled engine is NOT going away. A/F ratios have nothing to do with it.
I have a Jims 120 because I want more power from an Air Cooled motor, notice I didn't run off and buy a V-Rod or another type of water cooled motor or motorcycle. I use the Thundermax to help feed it and to take advantage of a little richer mixture to aid in cooling somewhat. Believe me this motor still kicks off a lot of heat, remember the bigger the motor the more heat it is going to generate.

But I'm not complaining.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 PM
Kasper
Tourer

Originally Posted by swoopjr
If you lived in Arizona instead of BC you would understand. The V-Rod I had didn't get hot at all compared to my street glide.
Okay....your Street Glide got hot.....Did it blow any Gaskets.....Did it ruin anything? I bet your bike is still running as good or better than the day you bought it. No harm has come to the motor....so why change it?

Yes I don't live in Arizona so I get to take advantage of cooler riding weather however I still would not be afraid to ride my bike anywhere at any temperature. The hottest day I have ridin in was at 104 Degrees and on freshly paved blacktop and I mean black....the bike still ran good and the heat did not bother me the slightest other than making me sweat and feel sticky and gross. The wife did not feel so great afterwords but that was just from the heat of the day and her not drinking enough.

I'm sorry...but I think the heat issue from a Harley motor is not a good enough reason to change it.

One day in the future I plan on spending a lot of time riding through the Southern States at all times of the year.......and I will be doing it on an Air Cooled Harley only.......even if they no longer make them.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Kasper
Tourer

Originally Posted by harleybill2008
Lets see, if I was a competitor of Harley and wanted them to quit making bikes because of the tradition and heritage what would I do? Probably send a bunch of money and Political Action Committees over here to keep driving the legislators crazy until the passed enough emmissions laws or other laws to put the competition's edge out of existance. The smucks running this country can either be bought or just don't really care about most things American so what do you think will happen? Pretty soon we will see water cooled engines on harley's and if they lose that "sound" or "mystique" that has kept them going for 100+ years, goodbye Harley. Just a matter of time so enjoy them while there here.
I don't know why the legislators even bother having emissions regulations for motorcycles. Most motorcycles produce less harmful emissions than any 4 wheeled vehicle on the road. You would think the government would first try to promote motorcycling as an alternative vehicle that uses less fuel and produces less pollution so lets get more people out of cars and trucks and riding motorcycles and scooters. Another reason why I don't understand why they bother with the emmisions crap is that most of the motorcycles in Canada and the USA get put away for the winter when the majority of North America becomes a deep freeze.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:08 AM
swoopjr
Tourer

Bike Is running great, I ride it every day. I dont want to see harley go away from the air cooled all together, but I sure as hell would like to have a choice. BTW its still 106 here at 10 p.m. high of 119 today.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:19 AM
Kasper
Tourer

Originally Posted by swoopjr
Bike Is running great, I ride it every day. I dont want to see harley go away from the air cooled all together, but I sure as hell would like to have a choice. BTW its still 106 here at 10 p.m. high of 119 today.
Ya that's warm alright! Do you and everyone else that rides do alot of riding during the day when it is 119. I only ask because have have read in quite a few biker magazines that this is the time of the year when most people down your way don't actually ride. I have read that the people down your way actually do most of your riding while we are freezing our ***'s off. I just got to an article today in my American Iron Magazine about some riding down your way in the winter months. I have not even read it yet. I'll start it tomorrow.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

All depends on how it Look and how it works... If I was interested, I would NOT buy the first year... you know there will be bugs....

Quick Reply: Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?