Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
78.60%
No - I'd buy a used Harley
18.46%
No - I'd buy a Metric
2.93%
Voters: 1706. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:00 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,319 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Jahillsr
I would think both sides of this argument are correct. Harley will keep an air-cooled engine in certain bikes for as long as it can. And, I would bet, that HD will come out with a couple more water-cooled bikes including a touring-style version. I wonder if the new water-cooled bikes will be clean slate frames/products or dropping the Rev engine into bikes in the existing lines, such as an option in a full dresser or RK or Heritage Classic or Fat Boy. What will the Rev engine fit into in the existing line up?
It's not impossible to build a 45 degree, liquid cooled, DOHC V-Twin. I have to believe the '09 FL "platform" was designed for something more than the currrent Twin Cam motor.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:56 AM
grumpy old biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
It's not impossible to build a 45 degree, liquid cooled, DOHC V-Twin. I have to believe the '09 FL "platform" was designed for something more than the currrent Twin Cam motor.
I would agree with you, HD does not make whole sale changes unless they are looking down the road. The touring frame could have been firmed up without a total redesign.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:42 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The answer to the original question is still, "no." Hell, no! You can quote me.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Lonerider31
Advanced

I would buy one as long as it was a torque monster and not a high revving motor like the V-Rod.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:36 PM
K.Parris
Stage III

It's not just about the EPA. Harley is a global player and the EPA is a bunch of playground punks compared to some of the foreign agencies. Porsche, working on HD engine designs since the shovelhead, fought the same battle as HD. Fans claiming they would turn their backs on the 911 if it went water cooled. Well it did, and now performance people love it more then the old air cooled!!
The NOVA project has been around since the beginning of AMF/HD and is the grandfather of the VROD.
I truly believe the VROD was more of a test to see if HD fans would buy a water cooled HD. Hence only one color and model in the beginning. The VROD is not that loved in the USA but really popular in Europe. There are small simularities with the new FL frames and the VROD frames.
I am amazed that HD has not offered up a waterhead based touring bike, maybe with a 4 cylinder even.
BTW the NOVA project was known about but HD would not talk about it until just recently.
You can only do sooo much with aircooled performance and stay under the environmental radar.. to stay afloat internationally HD must begin producing liquid cooled engines.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:20 PM
flht-88
Advanced

Talked to a couple mid-level management guy from Harley and they was telling me how the moco spends millions of dollars on market research. They said the research says if it isn't a air cooled, exposed pushrod v-twin, it won't sell on the American market.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:23 PM
mikezmiami
Advanced

Living in Miami, and riding in rush-hour traffic, I'd say heck yes ! :-)

Old 07-09-2010, 01:25 PM
ncbeast
Road Master

Originally Posted by flht-88
Talked to a couple mid-level management guy from Harley and they was telling me how the moco spends millions of dollars on market research. They said the research says if it isn't a air cooled, exposed pushrod v-twin, it won't sell on the American market.
According to this poll they would and I will be right behind them once they have been out for a year or two. Maybe the resale of our old ones will go up since some do not want water cooled!!!!

Old 07-09-2010, 03:05 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

I would still buy the Harley. I never set out to buy an oil cooled engine in the first place. As long as the overall look, feel, sound and ride were the same, liquid cooled or not would not really matter to me. As a matter of thought, would the engine last longer beause it is running cooler as a result of liquid cooling?

Old 07-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Kasper
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I never got to put my vote in....but you can put me in the NEVER Catagory. I will stick with used and the aftermarket suppliers until the day I can no longer ride or I am no longer on this earth.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?