Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
78.60%
No - I'd buy a used Harley
18.46%
No - I'd buy a Metric
2.93%
Voters: 1706. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 05:48 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a little partial to liquid cooled bikes since I rode Goldwings for 32 years. There's something to be said from both sides up to a point. I'm not sure I understand the logic that air cooled bikes are old school and liquid cooled is not good enough. The only pitfall I can see for Harley-Davidson is, the liquid cooled bikes will typically get more miles and therefore the production and sales will be down for a while because people will eventually develop more confidence and keep their Harley bikes longer. I think it will eventually draw Goldwing owner over to the Harley bikes. This issue is the only thing that I was considering before deciding to switch to a Harley. The pole here may not be a good representation of all Harley owners but it's shows a trend developing. I'm surprised at the outcome of the pole.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:54 PM
BM83
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by not2kool
No liquid cooled Harley for me. Old School.
You carryin' spare points, plugs, and a tool kit to tighten up all the parts that loosen up as you ride? You reachin' down to retard the timing on the mag before you kick the **** out of it? You sittin on a tractor seat thats on springs? If not, probably not very "old skool"

Id have a watercooled Harley bagger before a Honda just to help keep a union brother's job available.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:30 PM
big block
Cruiser

I'd buy one in a heart beat as long as it sounds like a Harley;single crank pin and cylinders that are 45 degrees apart!The japs made liquid cooled engines for years that LOOKED like they were air cooled.96 inch, liquid cooled, rad in the back with an electric fan, that would be my next RG !
Big Block

Old 12-04-2009, 08:42 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by 04harleyboy
I would buy a Harley water cooled bike, ..... But I would still keep they "old" air cooled one for nostalgic reasons.
...... for nostalgic reasons, sonic reasons, vibrational & psychological reasons too.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
lock pick
Intermediate

what if harley offered a choice with watered colled ultrta or air coilled ultr.What would you choose?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
kevin6803
Advanced
Default air vs water cooled

It would be hard for me. It took me 2 years to get used to the 6 gallon gas tank. The older I get the more scary change is. iIam starting to turn into my grandfather.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:36 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

If Harley designs and engineers a liquid cooled vtwin that adheres to the standards that make a Harley a Harley, then this becomes more evolutionary in nature, not revolutionary. The vrod was and is it's own entity. If a scaled up (displacement) of that engine is created, then I too would not be in favor of it. The rhythm, the cadence is part of it. The vrod in it's current form is too small and the sound isn't right. Furthermore, the fuel mileage isn't that great. It has to wound up before things get moving and that's on a smaller, lighter bike. The torque is only 60 some odd ft. lbs. If it's done right, I'd buy it. Otherwise, let's face it, you can keep these things running forever.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HD can right now build a decent watercooled touring bike. Personally, I don't know what they are waiting for. The V-Rod has proven that HD can produce a reliable and very powerfull watercooled engine that meets present and future EPA specs, so what are they waiting for?....I expect to see it first on an Ultra styled HD-a touring bike that offers all the luggage and rear armchair amenities plus a few extras, while still retaining classic HD Ultra looks/lines but being a totally different bike under the sheetmetal and fiberglass.

If they do it right, they will win over many Goldwing riders and insure the future of staunch HD loyalists.

The V-Rod engine needs larger displacement and a broader power band for touring, but it's a great starting point.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Greatful_Ed
Cruiser

Like has been said dozens of times in this thread, if it was done right, I would buy it. Gotta keep the look and sound, add ponies & torque, why not?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember thinking no to an electric starters, then no to fuel injection. It's a sign of the times and as much as I hate to see it change it changed anyway and will again. Just hope it acts and sounds the same as it does now.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?