Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
78.60%
No - I'd buy a used Harley
18.46%
No - I'd buy a Metric
2.93%
Voters: 1706. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:13 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?

I'll absolutely buy a water cooled bagger - probably the second year of production, but I'll buy one.
My guess is Harley will spend a TON of R+D time and money to make that bike look, sound, and feel incredibly close to the air cooled motor. They know where their bread is buttered, and how much resistance there will initially be to it.

But a reliable 1800+ cc bagger making, say, around 120/120, no overheating problems...yeah, I'll take it. And I'm no newcomer to HD either.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:44 AM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Never

Old 01-16-2008, 04:31 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: cripula

no overheating problems...

Radiators don't guarantee no overheating problems, but they do complicate the cooling process. Picture that car on the side of the road with the hood up and steam billowing up from it. I saw this hundreds if not thousands of times as a Trooper. Let's see.......anti-freeze in the left bag and spare radiator hoses in the right. No thanks!

Regarding the question, I'd buy a new water-cooled touring bike, but only if I had no other choice. I'd much prefer that H-D stick with an air-cooled motor.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:19 PM
gunfighter
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water cooled Harley

First, the VROD engine will not fit in any Harley bike frame as we now know it, including the new touring frame. It has to be modified or completely new and its a good bet the new touring frame design is the first step toward the ineviable liquid cooled engine that the EPA will eventually force Harley to use, if not in 2010, then probally in 2011. Secondly, why is it that when this subject comes up pertaining to Harley, everyone talks about how they hate the radiator. Harley, I believe, is smart enough to know that we hate it. They will liguid cool that engine and preserve that vtwin sound and still please their customers. Afterall, who said anything about the system having to be in the form of a radiator, or having to be placed in the front of the machine. It can go anywhere as long as you can get air flow to that location. Think about it.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:38 PM
2003flhtci
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd consider buying one, but not until they've been in production for a couple of years (v-rods notwithstanding). IMHO, Harley sometimes takes a while to get it right...they'll have to get a track record of proven successful design to earn my business.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Slammed Rod
Cruiser

I already own one water cooled HD.If they can make a tourer that sounds like an air cooled and looks the same as an air cooled then I would have no problem.If I wouild have to sink almost $15000 into it to make it look cool again then NO!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 PM
sparky1
Road Captain

Make it an oil cooled,a bit bigger oil cooler with a fan,problem solved(hopefully),just my opinion.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Buck Naked
Cruiser

I'd buy a water cooler HD tourer if HD made one, I was in the market for a new one, and it didn't look something that came out of Fred Sanford's backyard. I understand the nostalgia argument, but yeah, I have to say I'd buy one. Now--having said that: I envision the '09 RKC I bought last fall will be the last bike I buy for a very long time...it's got (and is) everything I've ever wanted in a bike. So by the time I'm ready to trade, they'll all be watercooled anyway....

Old 04-15-2009, 04:20 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

The POLL is eye opening and I'm surprised! Over 80% say YES!
And this in a Harley Forum too.

Speaks well for MOCO to do it.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:20 PM
sparky1
Road Captain

Hey "pop1' whats goin on,got to go ridin soon.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a water cooled Harley Touring Bike?