Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wait for light or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:17 AM
johnchaparteguy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wait for light or not?

I have an 07 UC and read on one of the other threads that was talking about PCIII that you do not have to wait for the light to go off before you hit the starter. When Ipurchased my UC they told me that it was important to wait, just wondering what you were told and what you do.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:49 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Wait for light or not?

I think that on a stock bike, you should still wait for the light to go off. I do. I believe the difference is, with the PC it is priming the fuel injection too fast or with too much pressure making it a little harder to start. Something like flooding a carburetor.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:09 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All ECM Bikes need to wait for the light to go off... You can & will set a code sooner or later

Old 06-02-2007, 02:49 AM
jwmu
Advanced

If the PC III were set up right, you should be able to wait for the light to go out. This is a quick fix, but not the "right" solution. You should not have to alter how you start the bike just because you added a fuel management system. My 2 cents for free.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:59 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,532 Posts

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

All ECM Bikes need to wait for the light to go off... You can & will set a code sooner or later
where and on what do you base your information? what code will it set off? even the owners manual doesn't say that you have to wait for the light to go out.... (not flaming, just looking for info)

ORIGINAL: jwmu

If the PC III were set up right, you should be able to wait for the light to go out.
theres only one way to set up the pciii. the start delay has to do with a change that hd made. once the fuel system has 'primed' the power is cut. when you hit the start button, power is restored and the pciii has to go through a startup sequence again. hence the delay.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:08 AM
maltezebluez96
Cruiser

I would say that if the dealer (salesman) suggested that you wait the wait,.....he has your best interest at mind. Besides,....how long does it take for the light to go off? We're in a very fast passed world but a few seconds won't do any harm unless maybe your trying to get your wife that's in labor to the hospital

Old 06-02-2007, 10:35 AM
jwmu
Advanced

theres only one way to set up the pciii. the start delay has to do with a change that hd made. once the fuel system has 'primed' the power is cut. when you hit the start button, power is restored and the pciii has to go through a startup sequence again. hence the delay.
Thanks for explaining - just seems like the PCIII product could be modified (Set up) from the manufacturer to deal with this HD change.
I do not have to alter my advised (Dealer) start method with my Fuelpak??

Old 06-02-2007, 03:39 PM
rdking330
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer and manual tell you to wait for the light to go off, what the ECM is doing is checking air temp, filling fuel pump etc. it will start if you don't wait but I'm going by the manual.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:22 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't wait , push button right after turning ignition on.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:55 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,532 Posts

ORIGINAL: pvbjr

Dealer and manual tell you to wait for the light to go off, what the ECM is doing is checking air temp, filling fuel pump etc. it will start if you don't wait but I'm going by the manual.
actually, the manual does not specifically say to wait until the light goes out.

ORIGINAL: HD owners manual

page 33 states:

1. put the engine off/run swith in the run position and the transmission in neutral. neutral (green indicator lamp should be illuminated.

2. see figure 2. (this figure shows the acc/ign position on the switch) turn ignition/headlamp key switch to on and push the start switch to operate starter motor.

page 132 states:

1. turn ignition/headlamp key switch to ignition position. do not roll the throttle. note: the engine lamp will light for app. 4 seconds and you will hear the fuel pump purr for app 2 seconds as it operates to fill the fuel lines with gasoline.

2. see fig 41 (pic showing handlebar controls) turn the off/run switch to run position.

3. squeeze the clutch lever in against the handgrip

4. press the starter button to start the motorcycle.
nowhere does it state that you have to wait for the light to go out before starting the bike. it tells you how long the light will be lit, but i would think that if you had to wait for the light to go out, there would be a warning telling you to do so. there are warnings for everything else....

and to the poster that said he would listen to the salesmen/dealer, do you think they always know what they are talking about? remember, these are the same guys that said using synthetic oil would cause bearing skate.....

Quick Reply: Wait for light or not?