Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Dynamics LED headlights and driving lighhts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Groucho1
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Custom Dynamics LED headlights and driving lighhts?

I know...been hashed around for a few years. Was in an INDY last week and they had on display the CD LED headlight. I felt in the past the LED headlights....during the day, were less visable to oncoming traffic than the stock bulbs. I know this as I was leading 8 or 9 others and the guy with the 2016 street glide was far less bright as the others with older bikes and stock units. This appears to fill in very nicely and had a couple of extra LED's to light up the whole unit so it kinda looked like a stock and filled the whole glass area. I rarely ride much at night, so daytime visability is more important to me...
About $400 for the headlight and the matching spots were less than 300.
Anyone have this unit or other comments?

Old 03-11-2017, 08:37 PM
jeeper101
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't see why LED lights would be less bright than incandescent bulbs. With that said, I installed HD branded JWSpeaker head and driving lamps. I also replaced my front lollipop blinkers with CD color changing led inserts and I have A LOT of white light in the front, even in the brightest day. I don't think I have a video but could make one tomorrow and post it, although it would be inside the garage, as winter has come back to Joisey after a very short Spring.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Groucho1
Tourer

Originally Posted by jeeper101
I don't see why LED lights would be less bright than incandescent bulbs. With that said, I installed HD branded JWSpeaker head and driving lamps. I also replaced my front lollipop blinkers with CD color changing led inserts and I have A LOT of white light in the front, even in the brightest day. I don't think I have a video but could make one tomorrow and post it, although it would be inside the garage, as winter has come back to Joisey after a very short Spring.

I guess what I was trying to say is the LED's rather than just being bright...are more directional. That is why some have a "halo" of lights in the circle to fill in.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:10 AM
electra_boogaloo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

i've got a lot of comment about my oncoming visibility being poor. i'm also constantly being told that my right aux light is out. it's not out, it's aimed slightly down. the lights are incredible at night. very crisp and bright. but for day time, i don't really trust their brightness.

The following users liked this post:
Groucho1 (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 07:16 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Like any light fixture, the lens and reflector need to be designed for the bulb. You can't just put an LED bulb in a halogen fixture as the LEDs are in a different location than the filament in the bulb. Buy a fixture designed for LEDs and enjoy. That being said, the Harley Daymaker which I have, could have been designed better... but then how would the MoCo get you to spend more money if they came out with a solid product to start with?

jeeper101 (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Groucho1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hate Work
Like any light fixture, the lens and reflector need to be designed for the bulb. You can't just put an LED bulb in a halogen fixture as the LEDs are in a different location than the filament in the bulb. Buy a fixture designed for LEDs and enjoy. That being said, the Harley Daymaker which I have, could have been designed better... but then how would the MoCo get you to spend more money if they came out with a solid product to start with?

Agreed. The CD unit is all LED, and seems to be as bright as the stock....even off center. I just don't want to spend 400 if it isn't any better.....

Old 03-12-2017, 12:36 PM
jeeper101
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho1
I guess what I was trying to say is the LED's rather than just being bright...are more directional. That is why some have a "halo" of lights in the circle to fill in.
I understand, again, my point is that led lights are much brighter, even if more focalized. At night they are more accurate because they minimize scattered light via projectors, but the light is much brighter even in daylight, therefore more visible than incandescent/reflector lamps. On top of that, the amperage draw is reduced greatly when switching over to LED.
I got rear ended last year, and had a couple of close "head on" encounters, so I spent a few $ trying to do my best to make sure ppl in cages see me from opposite direction as well as following me.

1.Head light: HD brand day maker projector (new take off $245)
2.Driving lamps: JW speaker HD take offs ($200 for the set)

3.Turning lamps: Custom Dynamics white DLR/amber turn New (see price below)
4.Tail lamp: Custom Dynamics LED New (see below)
5.Turn Signals (rear) Custom Dynamics Red/red smooth lenses
6.Custom Dynamics Signal Stabilizer Module
7.Custom Dynamics Triple Play module (RUN/TURN/BRAKE)
$411.00 new shipped to my house.

8.Custom Dynamics 8" plasma rods (Used $50)

Total $906.00 I installed it all myself and saved a few $ there.

I'll take a video later and uploaded so you can see the brightness.
i was told by Custom Dynamics rep that their headlamp blows the JWS lamp out of the water, but then again, they also told me that their tail lamp blows the BAL-1 out of the water in terms of brightness, but it my opinion it does not come close to it when the BAL-1 is set to the brightest setting. But that is just my opinion.

HD branded LED projectors can be had for $200-250 and driving lamps for around $200 on here on occasion and on eBay pretty much all the time. Food for thought.

EDIT: I have the JWSpeaker lights on my Jeep, same light, just not HD branded. I love the way they perform both on the Jeep and on the bike.

Last edited by jeeper101; 03-12-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Groucho1 (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 01:22 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Everyone I ride with complains about mine. They're low from the factory. I adjusted mine up a bit. I have cars highbeam me mid day. I won't have a bike without LEDs anymore.

Groucho1 (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 08:40 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RFG
Everyone I ride with complains about mine. They're low from the factory. I adjusted mine up a bit. I have cars highbeam me mid day. I won't have a bike without LEDs anymore.
You hit it right on the head, a little time doing proper adjustment means the difference between seen and really being seen take the time and adjust them you'll be surprised Believe Me.

Groucho1 (03-12-2017)