Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow now I know why there called stealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 07:46 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
Hell, you are lucky if they change your oil filter ! they are going to charge you for one either way. they don't do half the **** they say they do. it's a joke, buy a manual and do it yourself or get use to getting it stuck where the sun don't shine.
Not a DEALER story, but a repair shop none the less: Took an Ultra Classic to a local shop, I forget the miles..lets make it a 30K service. Was told will be ready after three. Cool. I got off work at four.
Went in to pick up my bike....was told I owed X ammount...and the lead guy said :"Were you TESTING us?" (Was I what?)...He asked again if I was testing them...then he pulled out a twenty dollar bill,
and said he found it under my gas tank cover....OH! I explained I always keep a twenty there, just in case I come up short of some cash somewhere. He said that one of the steps on the maintenance
schedule is to oil the gas tank cover hinge...and who the heck does that...but they did....and found my $20. So, some people do-do half the crap....and maybe more.

Chuck

Old 03-07-2017, 08:39 PM
liquidr1
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Spend $60 on a service manual. You can do everything they do on the first service your self no problem.... For FREE. minus cost of your oil and filter.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
Hell, you are lucky if they change your oil filter ! they are going to charge you for one either way. they don't do half the **** they say they do. it's a joke, buy a manual and do it yourself or get use to getting it stuck where the sun don't shine.
The first part is absolutely not true at my dealers around here.
I have watched them do 1k service on many bikes, and it takes a while.
They actually dump the oil, and filter, and while it is draining they pull the derby cover, and adjust the clutch, put a wrench on every fastener pretty much. They check belt alignment , and brakes. I don't feel it's a ripoff , but I do my own service, because I like to do it.

Last edited by Bill03E; 03-07-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:21 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

I know a guy that went to a dealer for an estimate on some work He wanted done. The dealer then gave Him what was a really reasonable estimate. The guy, known to be a bickering penny pincher, said "I think your'e trying to rip me off. I am not going to fall for that. I am not just some kind of fool. I believe I want a second opinion".
The dealer, without taking a blink, told Him "OK - you are ugly as hell too".

Old 03-08-2017, 01:33 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

The hourly labor rate is what drives up the cost of service at a dealer. Although the oils and filter needed for changing all three holes (which they should be doing at the 1000 mile service) can run nearly $100 alone.

Frankly, at 1000 miles, there is very little that is done besides the fluid changes, most everything else is checking fasteners, tensions, etc. Its very overpriced and if you are able to do it yourself its worth doing. Many dealers usually throw the first service in as part of the purchase of the bike, mine does.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:36 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I did the 1000 mile service myself as i rode that in 5 days. I found the rear axle was misaligned and took it to the dealer on my trailer to have it aligned and recorded that the belt was wearing on the outside edge bad enough to stick rubber all over my left side exhaust. they corrected it at no charge. at 8000 miles, i ruined the rear tire which i had a warranty on and they replaced it at no charge. the only time my bike has seen the dealer. i record and take pictures and keep the receipts on oil, filters, air filter cleaner and oil, etc. I actually enjoy working on mine most days. battery is getting weak and not looking forward to that job(i have done it before on a previous road king,lol)

Old 03-08-2017, 04:23 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Harlie Rider
Saw a Dealer I used to frequent advertising an 'Oil Change Special' for $70 bucks.
They would use synthetic for $90 bucks............
Southern Thunder in Southaven MS is running a $29.99 oil change special now

Old 03-08-2017, 05:48 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

For those of you that think the first oil change you got with your bike was free. Guess again. It's factored into the trade and final sale. I waited until my paperwork was signed and then pointed out I was to get a free 1000 mile service. He stuttered as he made up the "We owe you" sheet.

I did that on the advice of my salesman. He said nothing is free. They build everything into the deal.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:56 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
That was my experience.
The dealer didn't do the whole check list.
Charged me a little over $400 and they didn't even change the air filter.
At 1000 mile service, there is no reason to change an air filter.

As for the other things on the so-called checklist, those items are there so the dealer mechanic can catch what the factory missed. It's a "check and tighten" exercise basically.

Now, as to the cost of this "required" service, I might agree that is priced too high. At $400, and $100/hr labor, less the cost of Oil, that's about 3 1/2 hours of work. And I really doubt that it takes that long to do this service.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:33 AM
itsmf
Tourer
Received 115 Likes on 65 Posts

Man,you don"t get those 30 dollar oil changes in Jersey!!!

Quick Reply: Wow now I know why there called stealership