Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow now I know why there called stealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:17 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Back-n-Black
Mine charges $475
Everything is bigger in Texas!

Old 03-07-2017, 06:24 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,107 Likes on 3,651 Posts

If they actually check everything on the 1000 mile checklist, the $ amount is warranted. The problem is, if the service manager is sub-par he will probably give the task to a non qualified tech and end up with a glorified oil change... I watched them do my 1000 service which was included in the purchase price. The mechanics (2) different ones went over it thoroughly and I felt satisfied leaving.
The only reason they ever touched my bike after that was warranty work.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:32 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

My dealer urges new bike buyers to at least bring the bike back for the first service stressing the importance of a really good going over the bike at that time. After that, do your own if you feel you can do it - and do it well - or they will be happy to do it for you. Often, that first service can be negotiated into the bike deal, but most don't ask for it or let the deal hang long enough for the salesman to "Sweeten the deal". Sometimes, as a "Warm Fuzzy", they might tell the buyer sometime before they ride away "Bring it in, and we'll take care of that first one at no charge", which results in many of those to come back for service at later times because "They did me right". Interesting to note that each following service generally goes up in detail and price.
You know, there is some merit to letting the dealer do that first service on a new bike, especially to a new HD Owner *IF* the mechanic is knowledgeable, experienced, and understands what they are looking for. It is, after all, a newly assembled sum of parts that has been rode to break in, and something might need attention. In it's purest sense, as mentioned previously, it's more than an oil change. All things considered with the amount of moolah invested in the new machine, not to mention our own safety, it's a small percentage of our overall investment. Many spend more than the service cost on riding clothes alone.
Final opinion: Negotiate for the free first service, and check behind them. Ask them what did they find, and what to look for in the future. Some will be quite helpful.
Get a manual and acquire the things you will need. Become familiar with your bike. Consider You Tube videos. Study. And, ride safe!
Win! Win!

The following 2 users liked this post by TheGrandPoohBah:
Hippe44 (03-08-2017), Vernal (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 07:00 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

The owners manual will indicate what the bike requires at the initial service. Could be it is similar to the higher miles service for the coin they're charging.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:07 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,415 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I would call for an investigation.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:13 AM
thirdcoast
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But hey. Ya got a RGS. So you do have good taste. Best bike there is. Come over to roadglide.org. where it's all about the Roadglide.[/QUOTE]

Hit the nail on the head.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:18 AM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by IBAHOG
I have done all my own maintenance the last 10 years but buying a new 2017 RGS and the warranty issues now days .. decided to let the dealership do the 1k oil change call them today now I know why there call stealership $360 for a oil change crazy high in my book ... but the good news they will use the oil of my choice for a extra $20 ..
Hey IBA, did you mean, if you brought in your own AMSOIL or Redline, they'd hit you for an extra $20.? Even if they supplied the AMSOIL or Redline, that would be a Good Deal over H-D 380 or Syn 3, which is really a SIN, to be called a Synthetic?

Old 03-07-2017, 08:26 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,228 Likes on 22,614 Posts

Originally Posted by IBAHOG
I have done all my own maintenance the last 10 years but buying a new 2017 RGS and the warranty issues now days .. decided to let the dealership do the 1k oil change call them today now I know why there call stealership $360 for a oil change crazy high in my book ... but the good news they will use the oil of my choice for a extra $20 ..
& You didn't ask what the price was prior to asking them to do this?
Whose at fault here, you for not asking or them for charging you what they charge everyone?

Never the less, you got a real fast education bought & paid for.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:35 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
It's more than an oil change, and your spelling and grammar sucks.
I could possibly help here. I used to learn Mexicans how to speak American.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:09 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
It's more than an oil change, and your spelling and grammar sucks.
Who cares what you think of his grammar or spelling.

The dealership oil changes are nothing more than a rip-off and we all know it.

Quick Reply: Wow now I know why there called stealership