Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you need an adapter ring for LED headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:53 PM
kptaylor
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default When do you need an adapter ring for LED headlights?

Curious when you would need an adapter ring when mounting an LED headlight. About to pull the trigger on the Truck-Lite 27270C and it does not look like it comes with an adapter ring. I have an '03 Ultra Classic, so curious if I'll need that ring and anything else when I order.

I searched and surprisingly this doesn't seem to be answered much. All I really found was talk of wiring harness adapters for the '14+ bikes and some people needing frenched trim rings due to gap issues.

Any help would be appreciated!

This is what I'm asking about:

Old 03-07-2017, 12:48 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

My friend installed that particular TL in his '09 Ultra last season. Incredible light, worked well and he had to use adapter. Consequently light stuck out quite a ways and of course there was a gap. He then purchased a Kuryakyn chrome bezel which filled the gap and tidied up everything but I didn't like it because the bezel then stuck out so far past the plane of the batwing it looked like a chrome submarine periscope sticking out lol. Didn't look good at all, light was great so he was happy.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:12 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just ordered the JW Speaker LED headlight for my 2010 SG. From the research I've done you can either use the ring and still have fitment issues or you can trim the back of the headlight bucket with a dremel tool to accommodate the extra depth of the new light. I'm going to keep that $50 and trim mine. Also that will eliminate any unsightly gaps and leave a clean factory finish

Old 03-07-2017, 01:13 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,666 Likes on 6,425 Posts

The adapter ring you show I have not seen nor needed. I have used the Truck Lite a couple times and the only thing I needed, rather wanted, was an extended trim ring as the TL sticks out further than the HD lights and looks tacky. But I do not have newer bikes...

Old 03-07-2017, 06:44 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 190 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by kptaylor
Curious when you would need an adapter ring when mounting an LED headlight. About to pull the trigger on the Truck-Lite 27270C and it does not look like it comes with an adapter ring. I have an '03 Ultra Classic, so curious if I'll need that ring and anything else when I order.

I searched and surprisingly this doesn't seem to be answered much. All I really found was talk of wiring harness adapters for the '14+ bikes and some people needing frenched trim rings due to gap issues.

Any help would be appreciated!

This is what I'm asking about:

I have installed the truck lite in an 07, 08 and now a 2016 and the only adaptor needed was for the 16 due to the new design plug..

FYI--- ALL LEDS WILL STICK OUT PAST STOCK TRIM RING DUE TO DESIGN.. so every bike I have installed one in got a visored trim ring to cover that extra 1/4 that sticks out

Old 03-07-2017, 10:26 AM
kptaylor
Intermediate

The picture is a SunPie adapter, but the Daymaker/JW Speaker ones also come with that ring as do a few others. I'll give it a shot this weekend and see how the bare Truck-Lite fits in the bucket. May do the trim ring, too, if it looks like there's a gap or if the amount they stick out looks odd.

Will report back to close the loop on my question. Still surprised there isn't info about this since those adapter rings are sold separately and a few brands come with them. Would like to know their purpose and if they're necessary.

Wonder if it pulls the light back into the bucket so it doesn't stick out and if doing so requires the rear of the bucket to be trimmed.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:54 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I did Halo LED headlight few yrs ago. The original headlight basket was like cereal bowl with only small opening in rear for wires. I ordered 68124-04B which was more opened up basket. By looking at your headlight basket if it's not opened up you'll know if need it.

Here's link to restricted basket.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...llation-2.html

Last edited by acchd; 03-07-2017 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 03-12-2017, 04:32 PM
kptaylor
Intermediate

Okay, replaced the headlight this morning and I did not need an adapter for my bike. I did have the "cereal bowl" bucket that acchd mentions above, but the Truck-lite LED headlight fit in just fine. As everyone mentions it does stick out a bit more, so I may get a frenched headlight trim ring to cover that portion up. Doesn't look bad, but definitely noticeable.