Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone recommend Harley Mechanic in San Diego area

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017 | 09:49 PM
steveg56
|
Road Captain
Default Can anyone recommend Harley Mechanic in San Diego area

I'm new in the area and looking to have some motor work done to my 2017 M8 Road Glide. Anyone have some good leads to who does some good honest work for harley's? Can be dealers too, but really need an indie to take care of my bike if possible.
Thinking of doing a stage III or stage IV...HD parts or Fuel Moto

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-28-2017 | 01:00 PM
CSS899
Tourer

Harley Kenny located in Lemon Grove. 619 987-4527. He works out of a large garage at his house. Very popular and stays very busy. Good prices and an extremely nice and knowlegeable guy.

Old 03-01-2017 | 09:52 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

I've been riding Harleys in San Diego since 1979.... I have done the bulk of work myself, but over the years I've tried several shops...

There was a time, when I didn't have a garage to work on my bike. During that time I used Cycle Visions, on Taylor St.

For several years, Randy and his crew did a fine job, and good work. I finally got a garage, and started working on my own bikes again.

About 4 years ago, after a couple year absence, I went back to Cycle Visions for some work I was just too lazy to do myself. The quality of their work was less than before. I had to "fix" a couple things they didn't do correctly.

I'm not sure if that visit was an anomaly, or their service has gone downhill. Based on the many years of good service I had from them, I would give them a good, but cautious, recommendation...

I haven't found a dealer I really trust, in the SD area, since Doc sold San Diego Harley to NY Mike back in the early 90's...

I've had San Diego HD (current ownership), Sweetwater HD, and Quaid HD (Temecula) do some work on my bikes over the years. I have had at least one issue with each of them about their "service": SD HD charged me for work that they didn't do (admittedly), then balked on the refund!? Sweetwater HD did a service and the o-ring on the trans plug was leaking & pinched when I got it home. Quaid actually did good work, but they try to up-sell several extras on the various 5K, 10K, etc service packages. They wouldn't tell you about the extras if you didn't ask... "Well, it's not required by Harley, but we think it's important."

I went to Biggs HD (San Marcos) to inquire about a new tire. The female service writer was tweaking so bad, so was talking 200mph, and I couldn't understand a word she was saying. I just left and haven't been back.

Good luck, I hope you find someone you can trust... I would suggest to start with something minor, like a basic service, and see what kind of work they do, how they treat you & your bike, before giving someone the job of doing a Stage IV on your bike....

Old 03-02-2017 | 08:32 PM
steveg56
|
Road Captain

Thanks for your input guys. I'll give Harley Kenny a ring in the morning. I appreciate the feedback!

The following users liked this post:
Physiciansassist1 (06-17-2023)
Old 03-02-2017 | 09:04 PM
steveg56
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hattitude
I've been riding Harleys in San Diego since 1979.... I have done the bulk of work myself, but over the years I've tried several shops...

There was a time, when I didn't have a garage to work on my bike. During that time I used Cycle Visions, on Taylor St.

For several years, Randy and his crew did a fine job, and good work. I finally got a garage, and started working on my own bikes again.

About 4 years ago, after a couple year absence, I went back to Cycle Visions for some work I was just too lazy to do myself. The quality of their work was less than before. I had to "fix" a couple things they didn't do correctly.

I'm not sure if that visit was an anomaly, or their service has gone downhill. Based on the many years of good service I had from them, I would give them a good, but cautious, recommendation...

I haven't found a dealer I really trust, in the SD area, since Doc sold San Diego Harley to NY Mike back in the early 90's...

I've had San Diego HD (current ownership), Sweetwater HD, and Quaid HD (Temecula) do some work on my bikes over the years. I have had at least one issue with each of them about their "service": SD HD charged me for work that they didn't do (admittedly), then balked on the refund!? Sweetwater HD did a service and the o-ring on the trans plug was leaking & pinched when I got it home. Quaid actually did good work, but they try to up-sell several extras on the various 5K, 10K, etc service packages. They wouldn't tell you about the extras if you didn't ask... "Well, it's not required by Harley, but we think it's important."

I went to Biggs HD (San Marcos) to inquire about a new tire. The female service writer was tweaking so bad, so was talking 200mph, and I couldn't understand a word she was saying. I just left and haven't been back.

Good luck, I hope you find someone you can trust... I would suggest to start with something minor, like a basic service, and see what kind of work they do, how they treat you & your bike, before giving someone the job of doing a Stage IV on your bike....
I agree with you assessment of Cycle Visions. I too think Randy is a stand up guy, but i think he's just not in tune with the shop like he used to be. Feel like Sweetwater HD and Tbone are are the best choice for me so far after talking with them. SD HD where I bought my bike is looking to rape me quoting me 16 hrs labor to install the stage III kit, so I won't be going there for that. Don't really have any experience with Biggs to comment.

Old 03-02-2017 | 10:06 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by steveg56
I agree with you assessment of Cycle Visions. I too think Randy is a stand up guy, but i think he's just not in tune with the shop like he used to be. Feel like Sweetwater HD and Tbone are are the best choice for me so far after talking with them. SD HD where I bought my bike is looking to rape me quoting me 16 hrs labor to install the stage III kit, so I won't be going there for that. Don't really have any experience with Biggs to comment.
I have a friend who uses Sweetwater HD all the time and hasn't had an issue. Then another friend bought a bike from them, and had a couple good service/repair experiences.

I went to Sweetwater on their recommendations. The only issue I had was a pinched leaky o-ring on the trans plug. I shouldn't have had to fix it, and it suggests some sloppy work, but it's not a horrific experience. I went there twice... once no issues, once the o-ring...

I would certainly use them before SDHD.... In fact, I'd let a high school shop class work on my bike before I'd use SDHS again.... for anything...

I'm a year away from an M8 and I'll probably do a Stage IV kit (Yes, I have the sickness....) Enjoy the upgrade, let us know how it works out...

Old 06-17-2023 | 12:40 AM
Physiciansassist1
Stage I

Originally Posted by CSS899
Harley Kenny located in Lemon Grove. 619 987-4527. He works out of a large garage at his house. Very popular and stays very busy. Good prices and an extremely nice and knowlegeable guy.
i second that