Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M Shorty Antennas

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:17 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: J&M Shorty Antennas

here is what the J&M shorty antennas look like on the StreetGlide/RoadGlide without the tail trunk ,,,,,,

Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
ssihogdog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: JMJOHN

tcfamy ,,,,,

I am not surpirsed at the J&M shorty antenna's CB performance increase over your stock whip ,,,,,,

as I have posted previously ,,,,,, this is likely because the stock CB antenna whips are WAY out of tune when they come from the factory and most dealers do NOT tune them during bike set-up ,,,,,

now I am not picking on Harley dealers, because there are alot of very good ones out there ,,, just passing along what I see as a trend ,,,,,

Do I understand that the JM's do not need to be tuned, it is just a direct replacement (CB)?

Old 06-05-2007, 04:09 PM
marshal
Advanced

Put the J&M shorty antennas on this week. FM is at least as good as before. Haven't tried the CB yet. Sure looks better and much more convenient than the whips.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:38 PM
ssihogdog
Road Captain

I just ordered qty 2 so we'll see how they work. I definately like the look a whole lot better. I had to chop 12" off each so they would quit clanging on the garage door. Ride safe!

[IMG]local://upfiles/18233/EEE99CF857FF4F2A825B3E63A29D8E86.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2007, 05:44 PM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought 2 for my Ultra at Myrtle Beach. I like them alot better than the whips. I think they pick up stations almost as good as the whips. I live in a hilly, mountainous area and the stations are 20 to 50 miles away. I never use the CB. I did turn it on and did not seem to pick up anything.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:46 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ssihogdog

I just ordered qty 2 so we'll see how they work. I definately like the look a whole lot better. I had to chop 12" off each so they would quit clanging on the garage door. Ride safe!

Mine were clankin the garage door as well. .... So I just moved to a new house with much taller garage doors. Now I can pull in my bike, suburban and H3 (with the Gobi Roof Rack) without any issues whatsoever.

Maybe you shoulda just got a new house instead of choppin the whips??? LOL

Old 06-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Stash
Tourer

I put the J&M antennas on my 07 Ultra over the winter. I have noticed a loss of reception on distance rides. In other words I would lose a paticular favorite station sooner with the "new J&M's" than the old whips. However, since most of my riding is done within a 50 mile radius of my house, and the J&M's pull this favorite station in fine in this normal riding area, overall I'm satisfied. From the CB end I have nothing to compare to. But, I'm looking forward to using it on some trips we have planned this summer. We'll be riding with friends who still have whips and I'll get an idea how well we can communicate between bikes. I hope I don't find a situation where I can hear them ( because they have whips) but they can't hear me ( because I have J&M's). We'll find out soon how well they perform.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for doing and then sharing the test!

Much Appreciated.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:00 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

FLHTCUI05 ,,,,,

when you turned your CB radio on ,,,,, did you adjust the squelch down so that you could hear the CB "static" in the background ?

Old 06-07-2007, 09:59 AM
ssihogdog
Road Captain

[/quote]

Mine were clankin the garage door as well. .... So I just moved to a new house with much taller garage doors. Now I can pull in my bike, suburban and H3 (with the Gobi Roof Rack) without any issues whatsoever.

Maybe you shoulda just got a new house instead of choppin the whips??? LOL

[/quote]

Just got a "new" house - that's probably why they clank...I think they shrink everthing on new construction.

Looking forward the new JM's when they arrive - shipped yesterday.

Ride safe.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18233/781F0AE05DEE48379CB6E8E531FE7D23.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: J&M Shorty Antennas