Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switched from PCIII to FuelPak

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:10 PM
2wheeler
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched from PCIII to FuelPak

Last evening I changed out the PCIII for a Vance and Hines Fuelpak on my "06 Road King Classic.Today I took a good comparison ride and the overall performance feels about the same. The Fuelpak lets the bike start immediately without the cranking the PCIII required. I was also plagued with an occassional stumble...particularly when leaving a traffic light or stop sign... that was annoying to the point of being dangerous. The mounting system of the Fuelpak is a much better method than the cable ties of the PCIII and the system for entering the codes was very easy to set and verify...even the throttle position. I do not plan for extensive mods beyond my stage one air cleaner and V&H Oval slipons so this system is perferred so far. I'll keep the information flowing if I find glitches in the new system.

John (Virginia)

Old 05-31-2007, 08:12 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Switched from PCIII to FuelPak

Did you have popping on decel with the pcIII, and if you did did the fuelpak get rid of it?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:44 PM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

I had a Fuelpak on my '07 Ultra and switched to a PCIII with 02 eliminators. I have begun to hate the delayed starting of the PCIII and even though it has been dyno'd I'm not sure I can tell the difference.

I got my PCIII from Jamie at FuelMoto and recently asked him about the delayed starting because of all the threads on this forum (I have added to some) concluding Power Commander only claims to know of the issue but no resolve has been documented. Jamie would not answer me in a email but asked that I call him directly to discuss the problem. I will be calling him tomorrow.

I am considering going back to the FuelPak which would require me to reconnect the 02's. I am concerned that the bike will run too lean again like it did in it's stock form.

I wish I could afford a SERT and a GOOD dyno tune. Actually I could have if I went that way from the beginning.That way I would be done with this mess!

Old 05-31-2007, 09:22 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll stick with my FuelPak - Had a Power Commander on my last Putt and was not overly thrilled with it... So far the FuelPak has worked well for me....

Old 05-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope the fuelpakworks out for you. I have read several threads about the delay with the PCIII. Man I gotta tell you that I no sooner touch the starterbutton and it fires right up.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:36 PM
DB10881
Cruiser

I have been running a fuel pack for nearly a year and overall i have no complaints, like everything else i have wondered if the PC would have been a better purchase but based on what i have read here there are a few problems with both products.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:39 PM
SMT
Tourer

Delayed starting...are you guys talking about the couple extra revolutions?

Is that a problem?

I guess I'm still one of the lucky ones...no trans or primary noise, no heat and no issues with my Power Commander.

[sm=happy046.gif]

Old 05-31-2007, 11:18 PM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: SMT

Is that a problem?

I guess I'm still one of the lucky ones...no trans or primary noise, no heat and no issues with my Power Commander.

[sm=happy046.gif]
It's a little more than a few revolutions. If you have a '07 and are not affected then you are lucky although I don't see how that would be possible....

Old 05-31-2007, 11:18 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Is that a problem?

[sm=happy046.gif]
me too. if you don't like the delay in starting, hit the starter button about a second after you flip the run switch. that gives the fuel system time to prime (not needed most of the time anyway) and your bike will fire right up. and before someone chimes in with 'but you have to wait for the light to go out', no you don't. read the manual, it merely says that the light will go out after about 4 seconds, it does not say that you have to wait for it.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: skratch

Is that a problem?

[sm=happy046.gif]
me too. if you don't like the delay in starting, hit the starter button about a second after you flip the run switch. that gives the fuel system time to prime (not needed most of the time anyway) and your bike will fire right up. and before someone chimes in with 'but you have to wait for the light to go out', no you don't. read the manual, it merely says that the light will go out after about 4 seconds, it does not say that you have to wait for it.
Yes when hot this works very well. When i roll in to a gas station to fill up and go tostart er up again here's what I do.I turn on the key switch to ignition, flip the handle bar switch to run, hit the starter button immediately and it fires right up. If you wait for the light to go out you'll flood the engine (thanks to Iceman for this tip). Now whenI start it up to go to work in the AMI wait for the light to go out and it cracks right off.

Quick Reply: Switched from PCIII to FuelPak