Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Road Kings

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 12:19 AM
swb
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Road Kings

Does anyone have any advice on lowering a 2005 Road King Classic? I am wondering what the ride difference is between the HD "Profile Low Front End Lowering Kit" (Part #54599-02 List $194.95) and the HD "Road King Front Lowering Kit" (Part #54614-05 List $99.95)? Also, is there a ride difference if the HD "Profile Low Touring Shocks" are used verses stock?

Old 01-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Roadking04
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lowering Road Kings

The lowering shocks are standard on the Road King Custom. I'm thinking of putting them on my 04 RK Classic. They say you dont lose any comfort just clearence!

Old 01-25-2005, 12:32 AM
Slade
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: swb

Does anyone have any advice on lowering a 2005 Road King Classic? I am wondering what the ride difference is between the HD "Profile Low Front End Lowering Kit" (Part #54599-02 List $194.95) and the HD "Road King Front Lowering Kit" (Part #54614-05 List $99.95)? Also, is there a ride difference if the HD "Profile Low Touring Shocks" are used verses stock?
The shocks on a Custom ride a little stiffer but you get used to them after adjusting them to your likeing.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I had used the low profile rear shocks on my Roadking, and the ride suffered greatly, so I replaced them with my factory shocks. I installed the rear shock mounting bracket lowering kit to lower the bike, and it rides better than the low profile shocks and cost less.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:49 PM
rdking
Tourer

Sincecrazy,

That's what I'm going to do. I bought the kit used from a buddy and will install it when I get my new '05 RK Classic.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:31 AM
2kings
1st Gear

One note, some of those bracket kits will not work with the RKC due to interference with the bags. I put a set on my wife's bike and it specifically stated that it would not work with the Classic bags. I think most folks get the shorter rear shocks

Old 01-31-2005, 07:42 PM
Roadking04
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Who sells the lowering bracket kit and how much. I haven't heard many good things said about the HD lowering shocks plus the shocks cost $275. I bought a set of the shocks for my RK and was going to put them on this spring but everybody scared me off, I took the shocks back yesterday, got a refund, and bought some more chrome instead!

Old 01-31-2005, 07:48 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my lowering brackets on e-bay. I dont remember the exact price but seems it was less than a hundred (maybe 60). You can also get them through White Brothers.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:22 PM
swb
Cruiser

I wanted to update this thread and let you know my experience with lowering my new 2005 RK Classic. I ordered a rear lowering kit from Dennis Kirk - after emailing them asking which kit I needed. Went to put it on yesterday and realized that the kit would work on the bike, but not with the saddle bags without major adjustments. The bag is formed around the shock fairly tight and would not give it enough room to swing back. I shimmed the back out some (~1/2") and it still needed a bunch. I believe that the entire mounting of the bag would need adjusting. I decided to go with the HD short shocks and I am going to put the RK front lowering kit on also. I will let you know how I like the final product.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I put the 1 1/4 inch lowering kit from www.solowmotorcycles.com on my 2000 Screamin Eagle Roadglide. I took off the Harley Low Profile Shocks and put my stock shocks back on before putting on the lowering kit. The Low Profile Shocks rode terrible, especially w/a passanger plus they only lowered the bike 3/4". The bike does not bottom out w/the lowering kit and is good for 300 lbs w/0-5 lbs of air and you and your passanger ride great at 10 lbs. I'm sure this company makes these kits for the Road King Custom.
The price for mine was aroung $69 and installation was a breeze.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Lowering Road Kings