Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Road Kings

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 12:08 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Lowering Road Kings

Cool...

I'm wondering, do you have the measurements of the clearance height before mods, and then will you measure the clearance after the mods are complete? I would like to see pics as well....

Mac

Old 03-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

Cool...

I'm wondering, do you have the measurements of the clearance height before mods, and then will you measure the clearance after the mods are complete? I would like to see pics as well....

Mac

Are you asking me Pilot or are you speaking to the original thread owner?

Old 03-11-2005, 02:47 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess both...

Old 03-13-2005, 12:59 AM
swb
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

Cool...

Mac
Mac,

I do not have a stock measurement and don't know where I could measure from now that would give us any good information. Let me know if you have any ideas on this. I am interested in knowing what the net height difference is from the back to the front, but I really don't know where to measure from to get this.

Old 03-14-2005, 02:42 PM
Iceman
Tourer

hmmmm, this is interesting to me. since i installed the mustang seat, i can just barely flat foot the rk if i lean forward a bit. otherwise i am on my toes. i would like to lower my bike about an inch, but not if this means i would lose the bags......

Old 03-15-2005, 01:01 AM
swb
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Iceman

hmmmm, this is interesting to me. since i installed the mustang seat, i can just barely flat foot the rk if i lean forward a bit. otherwise i am on my toes. i would like to lower my bike about an inch, but not if this means i would lose the bags......
The problem is only with the RK classic and the contoured bags - they are really tight around the shocks. So far the only way I have been able to find away to put a lowering kit on it is to remove the rivets in the bottom of the bag and move the rubber mounts closer to the bike. Thus moving the bottom of the bag outward and away from the bike. I estimate that they would have to be moved approximately 2" on the 2005 RK Classic. I believe this would alter the look of the bike more than I really want.

I have put the HD short shocks on, and so far am fairly satisfied with them. It would not hurt my feelings if the rear was a little lower. I am told there are after market manufactures out there that can provide a short shock that will lower it up to 2" with a good ride - but these are not air adjusted. If I find the HD short shocks are not satisfactury in the long run, I will look at going the shorter spring type shock. Also, I put the 1" Road King front lowering kit in at the same time I put the shorter shock on.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:30 PM
04RKC_Chicago
1st Gear

I'm looking at lowering my road king classic 2004. I've put the solow 1inch kit on the back and that seems to be ok... would like to go lower yet and just bought the 1 3/4 kit from RUB for the back and will give that a try. My big question is the front forks. At the dealership they said there's a risk of the front fender hitting and damaging it with the 1inch kit. Has this happen to anyone? Is this a real concern? I was looking at a progressive spring fork lowering kit.

By the way I have the leather contour bags with chrome rails around them and moved them out for the lowering kit on the back.... it works incase you were wondering.

Thanks for any advice on the front.
Matt

Old 07-14-2006, 01:48 AM
dhutchison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do run the risk of putting a nice ding in your fender when you lower the front too much. However, a lot of that can be cured with heavier fork oil. If you have an older bike, be cautious as to using heavier fork oil with front air suspension. I did my 01 RK and then put some air back in the shocks and it wondered like a stray cat in curves. I thought something was bad wrong. Turned out just to be the air. Never ran anymore air, and never had another minutes trouble. Also make sure the measurements are very accurate on how much oil you put in the forks. I can't explain why it's so critical, but it will adversely effect the handling of a bike if there is too much.
Personally, I pfefer to lower the rear with shocks. I've had one bike of my own, and two customer bikes with the rear lowering kits, and all three had issues with the shocks later on down the road. It seems that changing the angle on the shocks puts more pressure on them, and somewhat binds them up. I think a lot of that has to do with how you ride, weight, and how far you lower one. Either way, it's always best to lower both front and rear as lowering just one or the other throws off the geometry of the bike and will mess with your handling. American Classic Motors on Ebay has some of the short air shocks on sale for around $130.00 if I remember right.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:36 AM
04RKC_Chicago
1st Gear

Thanks for the information on the fronts... I did notice on the backs when I switched from the so low 1inch lowering kit to the RUB 1 3/4 kit that the angles of the shocks were more severe and it looks as though one side was much worse than the other and not consistent. Right now I'm thinking I might keep just the 1inch so low on the back and not lower the front. I would have to have the dealer do the front for me and the price and such might not be worth 3/4 to 1inch lower.

I'd still like to hear from others on the front fender ding... sounds possible with a 1 inch lower but doesn't sound like it's happened much.

Matt

Old 07-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Sol
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the HD lowering shocks on the rear and Progressive springs lowered 1" on the front. I would say that ride quality is not affected but that suspension travel is lessened, noticed most when the road dishes out its worst.

I made the mistake of lowering the front 2" and quiclky changed to 1". I got a fender ding to show for that mistake, visually the prorpotions of my RK were wrong and it handled terrible - to the point that I would say 2" lower in front is UNSAFE!

BTW: regardless of height, I have always run about 20# in both front & rear air suspension to avoid a mushy feel in corners.