Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage effects price of bike???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 10:28 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

If it's paid for, keep it. Nothing better than having two bikes in the garage. I have my Road King and I use it to commute and keep miles from racking up on my Limited. And as someone mentioned, you have something to ride if the other one is in the shop or you want to put off repairs for whatever reason. It's also nice to walk out and, look at both and say, I think I will ride that one today.

It's not going to loose any of it's current value anymore. It's pretty much bottomed out as far as sale value goes so you can sell it at anytime in the future for the same amount.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:51 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

IMO if you are in the situation of running that many miles up I would take advantage of having two bikes which is what I do. I keep one for touring and the other for racking up miles locally on. The latter I plan on keeping. You seem to be in the opposite situation but the same applies.

From my experience Touring Harley's sell fairly well at 50K and below. Above that you are targeting a limited market. People that will buy it are out there you just have to be patient

Old 02-12-2017, 05:29 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

All the garage queens really hurt us riders. I'm in the same boat with a 2013 Ultra. Perfect shape worth next to nothing that I paid for it. I am going to keep it until I die. Those dealers can kiss my fat rosy *** ! It will still be around long after I am gone.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:51 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
5-6 yr. old bike with 100,000 is worth about $4500.
Wow that sounds really harsh, but the more I think about it............

The problem with the high mileage is all you need are a couple high dollar repairs and you have eaten up your savings from buying. Say you ride it a couple years, then how do you sell a bike with 120k?

Old 02-12-2017, 07:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Good for you that you used the bike for riding that much. If you sell you will save insurance and plates plus not have to do services and maint.

A return of about $5K would seem acceptable. If you keep it as a second bike which is a good idea just estimate what the annual cost of keeping it would be. That number will tell you what is the best direction. A sitting bike will need to be on a tender. It will need StaBil. It will need an occasional exercise.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:34 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,768 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
All the garage queens really hurt us riders. I'm in the same boat with a 2013 Ultra. Perfect shape worth next to nothing that I paid for it. I am going to keep it until I die. Those dealers can kiss my fat rosy *** ! It will still be around long after I am gone.
I buy those garage queens... And generally ride it until I get 150,000-200,000 and then sell it for what ever I can get.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:50 AM
jmaniace
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Talk to your local dealer and see if they will work out a consignment deal slap an 8K price tag on it and see if it moves. If it does take that money and buy an old shovel head!!

Old 02-13-2017, 09:46 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,974 Likes on 4,166 Posts

Originally Posted by jmaniace
Talk to your local dealer and see if they will work out a consignment deal slap an 8K price tag on it and see if it moves. If it does take that money and buy an old shovel head!!
What would your opinion be for what you would get if a dealer sold it for 8K? However..he probably would sell it for $14K probably..And just guessing since I have never see on here where the FP did a NADA on the options.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-13-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:03 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Most,including me, wouldn't even consider it, no matter what the price.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:09 AM
jmaniace
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
What would your opinion be for what you would get if a dealer sold it for 8K? However..he probably would sell it for $14K probably..And just guessing since I have never see on here where the FP did a NADA on the options.
It depends on what % you can work out with them and still be happy. Anything you have added to the bike will not be considered. It would save time and hassle of having to manage the advertising and sale of the bike.

I don't think it would hurt to ask them.

Quick Reply: High mileage effects price of bike???