Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street glide hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 10:33 PM
jbreezy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street glide hard starting

Hello folks it's my first post new to this so please bare with me I have a 2010 street glide that's hard starting turns over slow good battery good grounds? 🤔You can jump it off and she cranks and runs charging good over 14 volts

Old 02-11-2017, 03:18 AM
georgewerr
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jbreezy
Hello folks it's my first post new to this so please bare with me I have a 2010 street glide that's hard starting turns over slow good battery good grounds? 🤔You can jump it off and she cranks and runs charging good over 14 volts

Great to see new members - To bad it was for a problem and not fun of hanging around here waiting for the snow to melt.

You say it turns over slow, does it turn over slow when you jump it or does it turn over strong when you jump it. if it is turning over strong when you jump it then it sounds like a problem with the battery. Loose connection, corrosion, bad cell in the battery. if it is weak while jumping then it is elsewhere.

How did you check the battery, you said it's putting out 14 volts so I assume you are using a volt meter or multimeter. neither of these are a good way of checking the battery. best bet is to take it to a parts store and let them check it. you need to put a load on the battery to get a good reading and must larger parts stores have a machine to check them.

Good luck and follow up, There are a lot of riders here and some know a bunch about bikes and willing to help, but you will also find a few buttheads here.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:43 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

If you jump your SG and it starts right up, you probably need a new battery. Oh welcome to the forum. JR

Old 02-11-2017, 06:04 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

load test battery, if it checks out good start cleaning and torqueing connections
NOT just grounds but positive connections also

Old 02-11-2017, 07:22 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jbreezy
Definitely sounds like the battery is bad, do you have a battery tender for it? If not, then after you replace the battery you might want to get one. Make sure you check the battery connections first, on the battery and at the ground point. The negative battery cable has an issue with getting loose. Are you still on your first battery with your 2010?

Welcome to the site from down the road, my daughter goes to UNCP in Pembroke.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:41 AM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Welcome to the forums from Idaho. I replace the battery every three years and keep a battery tender on it when not using it. Good luck

Old 02-11-2017, 10:03 AM
critter85
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 2,476 Posts

I believe you have a bad battery.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:04 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,813 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Put a good charge on it, then have it load tested. If the battery is the original or maybe even a second battery it's almost time to replace it. Unfortunately the components in the charging system will take out each when one goes bad. The regulator will over work itself and take out the stator, when the battery is going bad.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:15 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

I had a nasty hard starting problem on my 07 SG. Solved it without spending a penny. After you turn your ignition switch to the right depress the RUN switch and hit the START button at the same time or a second later, don't wait till the fuel pump completely cycles or engine light to go out. Someone on here told me to do it and I've never had a hard start since. I forget the tech reasons he cited but he used the same logic as starting a FI car, you don't wait for anything to cycle and lights to go out so the bike should be no different. Give it a try can't hurt a thing.

I just started my bike yesterday after it sat a month and it fired off so fast it almost startled me.