Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

raised bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 11:23 AM
ozzy49938
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Default raised bars

Well I have just seen a bunch of questions on raised handle bars as of late. So I started to wonder what are the advantages of the raised bars? They have a nice look but I assume there is a practical purpose as well. For example I get some bad pinching between the shoulder after a few hours on the bike. Would the raise bars possibly help with that?
Along with positives what might be the negatives of the change? (I.E. handling) Don't know anyone that has a set. So no way to try a bike and see. So looking for some overall general thoughts. Thanks.
Ozzy

Old 02-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Taller bars will definitely help with pain in most cases.

I've not personally noticed any drawbacks with apehangers. I suppose at a certain point excessive height would be a problem, but depending on how tall you are, 14s, 16s, even 18s are fine.

One thing I will say, my observation of feedback, is that when asked, people WAY more often say they should have gone taller, its much more rare to hear people say they regret going to apes.

I'll also add that you should choose the most comfortable bars, and buy whats necessary. Dont fall into the "how tall can I go without replacing cables" trap. Comfort first.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

It took me a few rides to get used to my mini apes. The Yaffe 12" bars measured out to almost 14 but IMHO they are much more comfortable than the stock bars on my RGS

Old 02-10-2017, 12:10 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

I just went through "the bar thing".

After many thousands of comfy miles w/ stock bars- I swapped to a cop seat last year ( back trouble)- this raised me up a few inches and the stock bars became a stretch- I would have to lean for them- and i got the crick in my neck and between should blades after 4 or more hours of riding ( so around town I was fine)

after many threads ( and you should too) and looking at pics of bars...and checking our the bars on used bikes at the dealer...I sent an email to khromewerks and they suggested the 2+2 #300077- which I got on sale: $65 on amazon.

I have a few 300-400 mile days on these and the crick is gone-

I used all the same wiring, de-pinning the tps wires to pass through the bars, the abs brake cable was loosened slightly and rotated some.
and my clutch cable is re-routed- I'll probably replace this in time and will need a +4 or maybe a +2.

One of the other forum guys has same bars and is using a +2 so i am waiting to see how he does before I order my cable.

the most fiddly part of the swap were the 4 allen heads for the radio- all of which were not quite tight!- it took a double handful of allens to get on there from various angles to get to.

as far as control- I liked the old bars better and have lower bars on all my other bikes.
After the swap I spent a bunch of time at the high school lot practicing slow speed turns etc- so i have good control now

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-10-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:36 PM
steelpony16
Road Master
Received 143 Likes on 90 Posts

The first time you put your hands on the grips you might get a nervous feeling.
I did, like WTH did I get myself into.

After an hour, you will be glad you did it, and wonder why you waited so long.

Handling is waaaaaaaay better.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:43 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,090 Likes on 629 Posts

Ever see a pic of yourself riding? I have seen one of me. Stock bars and I am slightly leaned forward. I can feel it too as I am not fully engaged in my driver backrest. Taller bars for me (shoulder height for even arm hang) allows that I can be more straight up and positioned into my backrest.

The following users liked this post:
bigdguru (02-26-2022)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:13 PM
D W K
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I fell into the max height I could go without swapping cables. Then I got to do it again because I wanted taller. As others said, do it once and do it right. As to the handling aspect. I actually fell like I have way better control of the bike, especially a slower speeds. The downside is it is another one of those mods that are now a must have and when I look at new bikes, I see that required addition along with cams, intake, pipe, blah blah blah running the price way up and I just keep on riding the one I have set up the way I like it.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:21 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

I went with having the bars at shoulder height. With that being said the angle the grips will be is another thing to think about. So try doing this. Let your arms and hands drop to your side. Now as you raise your hands to shoulder height, the angle or position your wrists are is what you want to achieve. I am 5'8' with 30" inseam. Went the HD 14"Chizeled bars. They do exactly what I am talking about. By the way when the stock bars were on for the first 1000 miles my lower back was killing me after 50 miles. Tried the adjustable back rest, which helped. When the 14" bars were installed I was able to remove the rider back rest and no more problems with pain.
On the cons about apes is generally your hands are up and away from the fairing. Wind and rain will get to the hands a lot easier than stock. But that's why they make heated stuff and knuckle warmers lol
Good luck in your quest

Old 02-10-2017, 03:30 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Originally Posted by D W K
I fell into the max height I could go without swapping cables. Then I got to do it again because I wanted taller. As others said, do it once and do it right. As to the handling aspect. I actually fell like I have way better control of the bike, especially a slower speeds. The downside is it is another one of those mods that are now a must have and when I look at new bikes, I see that required addition along with cams, intake, pipe, blah blah blah running the price way up and I just keep on riding the one I have set up the way I like it.
Definitely a priority for a new bike. Did you know that Amnesty International recognizes stock bars on Harley touring bikes as torture devices?

Old 02-10-2017, 04:18 PM
madwrencher
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I have been running apes for quite a few years now. They work for me and I wouldn't want to ride without them. Some people think that guys have them just for looks but not for me.

Quick Reply: raised bars