Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road king wild 1's beach bar install with pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 06:30 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,486 Likes on 2,703 Posts
Default Road king wild 1's beach bar install with pics

Not sure if there's a thread on doing this install but I thought I would share the process since I'm changing mine. Before I bought this bike I knew I wanted beach bars and a bunch of other things like the fish tails, the visor style light bezels etc so I got that stuff right away. I also bought a used tin set in vivid black recently so I can change the colour from the candy root beer to black or something else. Haven't settled on a colour yet, I do like the root beer paint (but I like other colours too) and its in perfect condition so I would never sand it off to do a colour change. The bike has 10,000kms on it so its pretty clean.

Took about a half an hour to get the bars off and the beach bars on as a test fit without wiring to see how they look and feel. Im relieved they don't have me leaning over the tank or feel awkward like holding wheel barrow handles.

The following users liked this post:
DelPantalone (10-15-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 06:41 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

I installed the visor bezels then 2 days later the bars arrived. The headlight one was a bit of a joke having to install it over the existing bezel which I ended up taking off and installing
without the original bezel under it. Then I ended up taking it off again when I realized I couldn't change the bars with the headlight in place.

The shroud around the fork lock has to come off and theres a screw under the thin strip on top of the headlight housing that hides it. Access to that fastener is behind the headlight. Pop the lock bezel off to access the other screws.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:51 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Controls come off easy, biggest pain will be fishing the wiring through the bars.

At first I thought there wasn't a big enough difference in the rise to get the look I was after

Old 02-10-2017, 06:59 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

I love the new bars! Today Ill fish the wiring through when I have time. It looks like only the front brake hydraulic line could be an issue and if it does fit then the fitting from the master will be pointing straight down at an awkward angle. We just got another 8" of snow last night so no hurry on the brake line!

Old 02-10-2017, 07:23 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Something I was surprised and disappointed to discover is the amount of flex in the forks. Ive seen threads on this but I didn't know how loose these front ends really were until yesterday. With the front wheel firmly mounted in a wheel chock I could move the handle bars easily and see the flex! Yes the risers aren't done up completely but its not flexing there. I need to look into a different upper shock mount and Ill be adding the link to tighten up the rear suspension.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

nice write up and that is a great looking bike

hellonewman (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:39 PM
RCCola45
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Something I was surprised and disappointed to discover is the amount of flex in the forks. Ive seen threads on this but I didn't know how loose these front ends really were until yesterday. With the front wheel firmly mounted in a wheel chock I could move the handle bars easily and see the flex! Yes the risers aren't done up completely but its not flexing there. I need to look into a different upper shock mount and Ill be adding the link to tighten up the rear suspension.
Make sure to replace the riser bushings with Polyurethane Handlebar Riser Bushings ... this will take the flex out of the bars. I installed Wild 1 518's and love them.

hellonewman (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 05:00 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Throttle by wire input transferred to the new bars.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:03 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Ton of wire for the throttle input but not the case for the controls. Because the wiring has to go through the bars and come out in between the risers the wiring needs to be longer. These bars are 3" longer than my stock bars not taking into consideration the wiring has to reach the middle now. The local dealer has a kit in stock with 8 more inches for both controls so Ill use that rather than wait for the order to come in. The 4" kit might do but theres lots of room behind the headlight for the extra.

Last edited by hellonewman; 02-10-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:05 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Quick Reply: Road king wild 1's beach bar install with pics