Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thoughts on Road King Custom

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007 | 07:56 PM
TerryM
Cruiser
Default RE: thoughts on Road King Custom

I was facing the same decision when i bought my bike, ended up getting the custom cause i didnt care about the radio and didnt like the bat wing. Im happy with the decision and get loads of compliments on the bike. Im personaly glad they will discontinue it. Its nice having something a little different than everything else.

Old 05-30-2007 | 08:57 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

The RG is the best value in the Touring bike line-up feature for feature.

But get what you like based on the riding you are likely to do and the budget to support that.

Don't know where you live, but around Metro Atlanta, with our heavy traffic, I would recommend you consider adding the HD fog lamp kit (two 55-watt lights) to the RK Custom if that's what you get, or a headlamp modulator just to be more noticeable for oncoming/left turning/merging traffic. The single headlamp on the Custom makes for a nice look, but it's also less noticeable than the dual headlamps on the RG and the headlamp/passing lamps on the other touring bikes (SG excluded; but a lot of SG owners add the passing lamps to their bikes, also).

Old 05-30-2007 | 09:03 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member

Well I like my bike, but looking back, I could have saved lots of money if I went with the street glide or the ultra.

Old 05-30-2007 | 09:18 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

I really like the fairing on the RG, I thought about adapting one, but the cost would have been more then I've spent thus far unless I found a deal on one that was rear ended.

As previously mentioned, rent the RG for a couple weekends and take a road trip. You won't be disappointed.

I've started with a Road King, and look what has happened to it. No sour grapes, just plan fact, if you do this (what I've done to mine) to a RKC its going to cost you.

You would be better off buying a brand new '08 Ultra Classic CVO SE for what I've invested to this point, (an plan on going to before its done). Or a SG with everything totally optioned out.

But, someplace in fine print, its writen, "its not what you buy, its what you build"

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 05-30-2007 | 10:25 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ultraultra

Don't even joke about discontinuing the Custom! That's gonna be my 3rd bike. The wife already said I needed one![sm=kissykissy.gif]
sorry dude, not a joke. hd is discontinuing the custom for the 08 model year.

Old 05-30-2007 | 11:06 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member

As far as the actual bike difference... a fairing. GET THEMODEL THAT APPEALS TO YOU!!!

Old 05-31-2007 | 01:32 AM
RandyNC
Tourer

Well what can I say...I went thru the same strugle with which bike to get...One friend said get the Street Glide...one said get the Heritage...one said you will not be happy with this one because of this and because of that.
Listen...as you see I went with my heart and I truly am very satisfied. I almost bought the Street Glide, after many many hours of making the final decision. I knew with the RKCustom I could add on a detachable fairing and take it off when I wanted a more sporty look and put it back on when I went on the longer rides. Cake and eat it too.
It's okay if they choose the bike with the perminate fairing, but for me I still like being able to have the less is more look. That way you can fix up your Custom the way that suits your personality, and have a bike that will run with the Road Glides or any other bikes that you choose to run with and be proud of, and you will be happy with your decision just like me. Follow your dream...it's what's in your heart...you won't go wrong.
Glad I did. RandyNC Ü <------Big Smile on my face.

P.S. Be sure and let us know which one you get...either one you choose i'm sure you will be happy.

Old 05-31-2007 | 04:37 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

I bought a '05 rk custom a year ago. I had rented an Ultra and a RG before I made my decision. Came down to whether or not I wanted a fairing. With the custom, you can always add one on if you decide to. Also, I knew I wanted apes on my bike. And with the fairing, the look is different. Not bad, just not what I had in my minds eye. I love my bike, I have a windsheild, although with the new apes, I need to modify it to work, or move my bars back some. And I added the passing lamps as well. Really nice for night riding. When I rented the other bikes, I didn't care for cruise control. I didn't feel as though I was in enough control of the bike. And with the throttle lock, and throttle boss, I have all the cruise help I need, or want. A radio is nice, but when I feel I want tunes, I just bring along a mp3 player.

Ultimately the decision is yours, but, '07 is the last year of the rk custom. And even though I was bummed at first. I now know that I wont see as many on the road, and that is cool. Just my $0.02.

Old 05-31-2007 | 11:52 PM
tsglide
Cruiser

I have a Street Glide but a RK Custom is hands down my next choice. Listen to the other guys though, go with you gut on this one. If you don't buy what you really want, you'll end up regretting it. Been there, done that on other vehicles in the past.

Old 06-01-2007 | 10:11 AM
Delray48209
Advanced

ORIGINAL: ultraultra

Don't even joke about discontinuing the Custom! That's gonna be my 3rd bike. The wife already said I needed one![sm=kissykissy.gif]
Last week, my stealer told me that HD intends to discountinue the Custom, along with a few other models, for 08. So, if your wanting a Custom, I'd start saving and shopping now.

Quick Reply: thoughts on Road King Custom