Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thoughts on Road King Custom

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007 | 04:40 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Default RE: thoughts on Road King Custom

Figure out what you want in a bike and the type of riding you want to do. If you want your livingroom with you don't get the Custom. If you want a lot of bling don't get the custom, get the RK Classic.

The custom has NO radio -- I don't likle any noise other wind and pipes!
No winshield -- I bought detachable for the long rides. I don't use it around town.
Luggage -- You have to add a trunk, or bag, which means racks and detachable hardware. For your normal 300 mile ride who needs luggage?
Solo -- I ride solo. Here is where the Custom excells. Clean and uncluttered. If you are going to ride two up, you might want something else that can acommodate the special other's requirements.
The seat, is really for solo riding sincethe back section is not really a seat,but it is angled down and very unconfortable according to my wife. You will need to replace it anyway.
The custom has no cruise control, but can be added. The other touring bikes come with it. Ihad mine installed by the dealer.

Old 05-30-2007 | 04:51 PM
nightglide
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MOTOWN RIDER

After riding for over one year on my starter bike, I'm ready to move up to a new HD. I realy like the road king custom but my father-n-law and brother-n-law both own Road Glides and they are trying to convince me that I'll be much happier in the long run with a Road Glide. I know I should go with what I trully like however they've made some good points. I would appreciate some feed back from anycurrent or previous custom owners.

Thanks!

Why not both? I did all in one

Old 05-30-2007 | 04:52 PM
stukes_md
Tourer

Rent a Custom for a weekend of riding, then switch on and off with your in-laws. This will enable you to decide head to head and may change their minds.

Old 05-30-2007 | 04:54 PM
nightglide
Road Master

ORIGINAL: nightglide

ORIGINAL: MOTOWN RIDER

After riding for over one year on my starter bike, I'm ready to move up to a new HD. I realy like the road king custom but my father-n-law and brother-n-law both own Road Glides and they are trying to convince me that I'll be much happier in the long run with a Road Glide. I know I should go with what I trully like however they've made some good points. I would appreciate some feed back from anycurrent or previous custom owners.

Thanks!

Why not both? mix and match the parts to get the look you want and the ride. I did

Old 05-30-2007 | 05:02 PM
Todd T
Tourer

I like the "Classic" look of the kings and lux's that's why I bought mine. The picture in my sig is my (deceased) father in law in about 1966. That was his brother's dealership in the background and the inspiration for me to get my RKC. They never aged!

Old 05-30-2007 | 05:13 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

Dont' worry about what the geezersare telling you, go with the bike that grabs at your heart when you see it. That is the one you have to pay for and live with, so get that one.

(Personally, I'd take a RK over and RG anyday, easy to bolt on an aftermarket fairing for the long haul touring times, and easy to have it stripped down and looking great for just local cruising, best of both worlds.)

Old 05-30-2007 | 05:45 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member

I like the look of the RGminus the silver engine. But to me nothing looks better then MY Road King
Get what you want or you will never be happy.

Old 05-30-2007 | 06:53 PM
MOTOWN RIDER
|
Advanced

Thanks...I appreciate all your imput. Next step, road test. I think I'll take your advice and rent one for the week end. Over all I feel good about sticking with what I originally liked.

Old 05-30-2007 | 07:26 PM
ci330guy
Cruiser

Think my signature pic says it all!

Old 05-30-2007 | 07:26 PM
FLHX4LIFE
Novice

Better ****** up an 07 before if you are thinking about the custom. According to my local dealer they won't be offering it in 08

Quick Reply: thoughts on Road King Custom