Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam install

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:30 AM
streetking1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam install

I am installing S&S 570C cams on a 2000 RK HD and using S&S 33-5175 cam installation kit. I have installed new inner cam bearings, installed front and rear outer cam bearings into camplate
, installed inner bearing race and thrust washer and o ring onto rear splined cam, installed cams into new outer bearings and new secondary cam chain with new chain tensioner ,checked all of these items for smooth and free spinning and correct operation,which hey did . Then the complete camplate assembly was installed into cam chest . also at this point push rods ,lifters are not installed .All of these procedures were done utilizing all the required tools . My question is at this point when I turn the cams they have a spot as they are being rotated that has a very slight resistance . At this point I removed the camplate from bike, removed the tension from secondary cam chain inner tensioner and installed camplate assembly back into bike and it spins free by hand , inner cam chain tensioner has been released /unloaded from chain. Then I removed camplate and released inner tensioner onto secondary cam chain. Again when i rotate cams by hand I feel a spot with slight resistance . I have done quite of cam upgrades and installs in the past but have never actually checked the cams for operation at the point I have described above. Can you tell me if it is normal to feel the slight resistance rotating cams at the point described taking in consideration that all procedures that were done was completed by a very competent mechanic . Just to be clear the rear outer cam drive sprocket , outer cam chain , crank sprocket are not installed and also no push rods or lifters are installed when I am rotating cams .
If you can help with any of your knowledge it would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-20-2017, 01:41 PM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey King, Did you call S&S Customer Service ?

Old 01-20-2017, 01:49 PM
streetking1
6th Gear
Default Cam install

Called left 2 messages S&S tech support , no reply.Emailed S&S tech support yesterday ,no reply yet. Thanks for suggestion.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:44 PM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

First off,,, I have only been in the cam chests of 2009 and up bikes, (not the earlier models),,,
My question to you , (and I would say it would be the same on your bike), is , did you check the alignment of the cam sprocket and the crank sprocket so it is within spec ??

When changing cams, a spacer is usually needed to bring sprockets into alignment ....

This may be something to check if you have not done so !!!!

Edit ... Just re read your post ,,, looks like you are not upto installing sprockets at this stage ,, and your concerned on the resistance your feeling .... My advice then would be to double check all bearings for proper installation and or damage, if you are still concerned ...

Last edited by markwolula; 01-20-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:52 PM
streetking1
6th Gear
Default Cam install

Drive sprocket is not installed at this time . I am rotating cams with my hand . Just cams installed with secondary /inner cam chain and tensioner on cam plate . The only thing I am rotating are cams
secondary chain with chain tensioner tension on the secondary chain.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 181 Likes on 136 Posts

I would think that you should feel a slight resistance once the inner cam chain tensioner was allowed to place tension / resistance on the inner chain. I worked as an automotive / Heavy Duty truck technician for my career. I would be surprised if I didn't feel a little rotational resistance. My advice would be to apply engine assembly lube to all the involved bearings and even a bit on the chains and sprockets. I think you are chasing something that really isn't a problem. Just my .02

Old 01-21-2017, 10:24 AM
streetking1
6th Gear
Default Cam install

Thanks for reply. I just wanted to be sure .d I have done cam upgrades and reacement on Evo and twin cams but this is actually the first time I have actually checked rotation at this point of install.
The thing that concern me is the resistance is in just a certain spot in the rotation. Have checked all clearances and pretty much anything that I can think of and have come up empty.thanks again

Old 01-21-2017, 10:30 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,310 Likes on 1,859 Posts

You said the cams and chain are "new", but your description while under tension indicates a sprocket or chain irregularity.

I would also post in the "engine" section
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...cal-topics-46/

Old 01-21-2017, 11:11 AM
streetking1
6th Gear
Default Cam install

Newbie to forum. Thanks for heads up

Old 01-21-2017, 11:15 AM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

You should check the clearance between the cam lobes and the engine case.
I had to remove a bit of material on the cases for the lobes on my Andrews 54's to clear. As I recall, both lobes were rubbing on the aluminum boss around the crank bearing. I used a double thickness of electrical tape on the lobes, when I had removed enough material for the cams to turn freely with the tape in place I knew there was enough clearance.

Quick Reply: cam install