Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone bought extended bags of CVO fender from Nasty Hog Cycles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019 | 03:43 PM
Byookanun
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sickstring04
Why wouldn’t the NastyHog’s harness work? Looks like the TopShop lights use the same Duetch connectors, are they pinned differently?

The two harnesses are not wired/pinned the same. If you use the Nastyhog harness with the Top Shop lights the running lights and the brake lights are the same brightness.

Old 05-24-2019 | 03:48 PM
sickstring04
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Byookanun
The two harnesses are not wired/pinned the same. If you use the Nastyhog harness with the Top Shop lights the running lights and the brake lights are the same brightness.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up

Old 05-24-2019 | 09:16 PM
Trixter
Advanced

I bought the fender, extended bags and speaker lids last year. The products are pretty decent and the lids fit great but there are a few blemishes. The black paint isn’t exactly the same as my 14 street glide thought I’m planning on painting the bike soon anyway. I’m not really happy with the brightness of the lights and am looking for a solution to that issue, the licence plate frame is to small for the bike plates in Canada so I had to modify the plate ( we’ll see what the cops have to say about that eventually I’m sure) but over all I’m pretty satisfied with the products because of the price paid. I sprayed a set of Bagger Bros bags and lids last year and they seemed to be a little better quality and they came with all the hardware. He bought them on eBay if memory serves correctly it was less than 300$.

Old 05-24-2019 | 09:27 PM
sickstring04
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Trixter
I bought the fender, extended bags and speaker lids last year. The products are pretty decent and the lids fit great but there are a few blemishes. The black paint isn’t exactly the same as my 14 street glide thought I’m planning on painting the bike soon anyway. I’m not really happy with the brightness of the lights and am looking for a solution to that issue, the licence plate frame is to small for the bike plates in Canada so I had to modify the plate ( we’ll see what the cops have to say about that eventually I’m sure) but over all I’m pretty satisfied with the products because of the price paid. I sprayed a set of Bagger Bros bags and lids last year and they seemed to be a little better quality and they came with all the hardware. He bought them on eBay if memory serves correctly it was less than 300$.
I’ll letcha know how I make out with the TopShop lights when I get them. Other member said that they’re not much of a difference but I’m gonna give it a try anyway. I’ll keep ya updated when I get them in.

Old 06-03-2019 | 01:35 PM
sickstring04
Intermediate

I installed the new TopShop lights over the weekend. First off, I didn’t realize that I needed to remove the fender mounting bolts in order to remove the old lights and install the new ones. Not a huge deal but definitely took longer to do than anticipated. I noticed that the TopShop lens isn’t as “smoked” as the FMOTOS. The FMOTOS seem to almost blend in with the fender and the TopShop’s are a little more noticeable, which I like. I didn’t want to have to reroute my harness and re-wire the plate light again and zip tie everything all over again so what I ended up doing was looking at my current harness and just matching it up with the harness that came with the TopShop’s. The TopShop’s are pinned differently so all I had to do was pop the wires out of the Duetch connectors and re-pin them to match the TooShop harness. Way easier than routing the new harness IMO. All functions work great. The lights are definitely brighter and clearer but there’s still not a huge contrast difference in running brightness and braking/blinker brightness. They are definitely better and I’m happy with them but I would not say that they are $300+ better!! I got mine with the harness included direct from TopShop on eBay for $260 and I’m good with that. Just prepare for the install and set aside some extra time to drop the fender down and the install is pretty straight forward after that. I’ll post a couple pics of my re-pinned connectors left and right side and a comparison of running light difference.

FMOTOS lights

Left side connector

Right side connector

TopShop lights

Old 06-03-2019 | 03:51 PM
TexasScott
Tourer
Default Depinning connectors

What did you use as a pin extraction tool for the connectors?

Old 06-03-2019 | 03:56 PM
sickstring04
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TexasScott
What did you use as a pin extraction tool for the connectors?
The Duetch connectors are very easy to work with. You just pop off the plastic orange cap and then use a small flathead or pick to unlock the wire retainers, then the wires pull right out from the back of the connector

Old 07-05-2019 | 04:34 PM
TexasScott
Tourer

Well I finally got a chance to install the Top Shop lights. As sickstring said, you have to drop the fender but thanks to him I was expecting it so I wasn’t too frustrated. I went ahead and changed to the Top Shop harness while I was there. It is a bit longer so I was able to remount the connecting plug where it should be. I had to relocate it a bit with the shorter Fmoto harness. I also like having a connectorized license plate light which isn’t on the Fmoto. I do believe these are 2X brighter than the Fmotos and I like them a LOT better. Could they be better still, yup. But I am so spoiled by the Custom Dynamic LEDs I had in the stock T bar tail/brake lights. I may call Custom Dynamics one of these days and ask about mounting one of their plasma rods in the Fmoto housings. They may laugh but what the heck.

While I had the wheel off I also mounted the longer rear seat bolt. It Rocks! If you are going to do this get the Gardner Wescott 041977 before you even start. There are lots of posts about this. Some glue the stock one in, some hand-mill the old one to fit but this is the answer.

Now for a couple of tips that I learned the hard way.

One, when you live in North Texas waiting for the hottest day of the year so far is so much fun. I had the chance to do it a month or two ago but work got in the way. But I think I lost 5lbs so all was not wasted.

Two, when you get everything hooked up and want to test them, pressing the rear brake pedal is not advised. The pads will pop right off their seal to the caliper. Then you will find the caliper is now well into the place where the rotor goes and after you get everything put back you will probably be left with a squealing rear brake. That was my experience that required me to get a new set of pads, apply the sealant and reinstall. Then the squeal went away.

Overall, the Nasty Hog (Fmoto) purchase was great but if you go down this road get the Top Shop tail lights right off the bat.

Before you ask, I know the front fender is not on yet. I was waiting for the risers so it would fit the 21” wheel.

I’m happy with the way things turned out. Yes, I would recommend Nasty Hog. Their customer service for me was first rate

Last edited by TexasScott; 07-05-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Added a picture
Old 08-03-2019 | 07:38 PM
FastDude2020
Tourer

Nastyhog released their 8" speaker lids. Here you go https://nastyhog.com/collections/sad...bags-2014-2019

Old 08-05-2019 | 02:31 PM
FastDude2020
Tourer

Originally Posted by TexasScott
Well I finally got a chance to install the Top Shop lights. As sickstring said, you have to drop the fender but thanks to him I was expecting it so I wasn’t too frustrated. I went ahead and changed to the Top Shop harness while I was there. It is a bit longer so I was able to remount the connecting plug where it should be. I had to relocate it a bit with the shorter Fmoto harness. I also like having a connectorized license plate light which isn’t on the Fmoto. I do believe these are 2X brighter than the Fmotos and I like them a LOT better. Could they be better still, yup. But I am so spoiled by the Custom Dynamic LEDs I had in the stock T bar tail/brake lights. I may call Custom Dynamics one of these days and ask about mounting one of their plasma rods in the Fmoto housings. They may laugh but what the heck.

While I had the wheel off I also mounted the longer rear seat bolt. It Rocks! If you are going to do this get the Gardner Wescott 041977 before you even start. There are lots of posts about this. Some glue the stock one in, some hand-mill the old one to fit but this is the answer.

Now for a couple of tips that I learned the hard way.

One, when you live in North Texas waiting for the hottest day of the year so far is so much fun. I had the chance to do it a month or two ago but work got in the way. But I think I lost 5lbs so all was not wasted.

Two, when you get everything hooked up and want to test them, pressing the rear brake pedal is not advised. The pads will pop right off their seal to the caliper. Then you will find the caliper is now well into the place where the rotor goes and after you get everything put back you will probably be left with a squealing rear brake. That was my experience that required me to get a new set of pads, apply the sealant and reinstall. Then the squeal went away.

Overall, the Nasty Hog (Fmoto) purchase was great but if you go down this road get the Top Shop tail lights right off the bat.

Before you ask, I know the front fender is not on yet. I was waiting for the risers so it would fit the 21” wheel.

I’m happy with the way things turned out. Yes, I would recommend Nasty Hog. Their customer service for me was first rate

Good look bike!

Quick Reply: Anyone bought extended bags of CVO fender from Nasty Hog Cycles?