Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whistle

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Skiffer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistle

I have a 05 Classic it has over 7000 miles on it. When I went back for the thousand mile check up they said nothing was wrong but it sure did run different after I got it back better! Still had the cough. Then on the 5000 mile check up I told them the cough was still there but not as bad. They told me that on the 1000 mile check up that they found the manifold bolts where lose. It did get better. Cough is still there and know it has a whistle. So I just took it back and they said manifold gaskets where bad and replaced them. It even got more better but still I get the cough and the whistle.When I shut it off it some times whistles not all the times. But I can start it up and shut it down a few times and it will do it. I have been haveing a problem with a cough some times mostly below 2000 rpms. It happens when it is warm I could have been going for over thirty minutes. So it is plenty warm. The dealers says the whistle happens to a lot of them and they don't think it is a big deal. But my friends that have the same bike do not have any of the same problems including the low rpm cough. I am getting ready to go to another dealership and see what they say. I was just wondering if anybody has the same problem? Thanks for any info!

Old 10-06-2005, 11:30 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Whistle

The 5K maintence brings everything into spec, valves et. al. My 05 ultra's performance was dramatically improved coming off the 5K. Hopefully you did not use synthetic before the 5K as the rings seat better using their regular oil.

As for the cough, I'm not sure what you mean. But if I don't let mine warm up for a couple of minutes and run in 1st @ 2K rpm I'll get a cough more like a miss. I have EFI and when warm this baby purrs.

I love my Ultra (7K miles since July) and hate to think of putting her up for the winter (Park City, UT). The only issue I've had is stability in high speed corners. Fixed that by installing a True-Track.

You're right on posting on this forum. Great tips from great folks. Hopefully you'll get a response that's right on target for someone else.

This is the best I can offer. Hope you get it resolved. Enjoy your ride :=]

Old 10-07-2005, 12:10 AM
Anthony8858
Road Master

I have a 2005 RK classic.

I used to have a cough too, but since adding a Power Commander, and adding more fuel in the low end, the cough has yet to return. Basically, the cough is a result of a lean condition at the 0% throttle position.

As far as the whistle is concerned....I too, get the whistle when I turn off my bike. The good news is that I belong to the local HD group with over 200 HD's, and on MANY of them, I've heard the whistle.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:22 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,731 Likes on 1,260 Posts

[sm=drlove.gif]
Are you all sure it's not some hot chick whistling at ya ride?
[sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Old 10-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Rhinohd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below 2000 RPMs? Thats close to lugging the motor, not good... Try keeping it at 2500 - 3000 while riding. If you do, does it still cough?

Old 10-07-2005, 11:45 AM
NMAC
Advanced

My '05 RK standard does the whistle when I shut it down sometimes too. I had the stage one air cleaner and download done when I purchased the bike, and it runs great. It never coughs or sputters at all. Since I haven't seen any ill effects at all, I just assumed the whistle every once in a while was normal. How do you turn your bike off? It seems that everytime I've heard the whistle, I used the switch on the handlebars to turn it off. I've tried turning it off more with the **** on the dash (sorry for all the real technical terms), and I haven't gotten the whistle any doing that way. I've used the switch on the handlebars a lot more though, so that may not have anything to do with it.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:10 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

The whistle is nothing more than the uncombusted air from the last compression stroke escaping backward through the closed intake manifold. If you turn of the bike and let the clutch out, (in gear) you'll kill it immediately, preventing the motor from "winding down" and creating an extra stroke with no spark and fuel...

Don't worry about the whistle most of 'em do it...those that don't probably don't have the intake manifold fully closed in their throttle cable adjustment. When mine got out a little, it quit whistling...

Before I get blasted, not EVERY bike that doesn't whistle is out of adjustment with the throttle cable...MINE is.

Mac

Old 10-07-2005, 12:43 PM
edsaws
Advanced

My RKC gives a little whistle once in a while. I also added a Power Commander IIIusb that eliminated the cough. I used to get it when starting from a dead stop. Actually caused the bike to stall and I dropped it while leaving work one day[:@] wasn't to happy.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds like you have a lean spot around 2000 RPM's. Your dealer should be able to work this out for you but it will take a power commander or a race tuner to get it right. That may not be good news for you but the stock HD download does not do a very good job if you are running anything other that hd stage one with SE slip ons.

Terry

Old 10-07-2005, 06:31 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

POUR A BOTTLE OF ROBITUSSIN DOWN THE CARB FOR THE COUGH AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING...LOL[sm=joke.gif]

NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM WITH ANY OF MY HD'S, SORRY I CANT HELP

Quick Reply: Whistle