Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour-pak solo set up 2015 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022 | 09:46 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

For the solo tour pack rack, I think all HD sells is chrome... I had one of them, but because my bike and tour packs are black, I wanted it in black too, so it would all kinda "disappear" under there. We where doing this to my brothers bike with a King tour pack and he had an aftermarket black powder coated solo rack. It looked funny with his blue tour pack and chrome bits back there... So I swapped him solo racks, but I kept the HD latches and bushing and put them on the black aftermarket one, and it works great. BUT, if you do this, or even with the HD ones, I strongly recommend before you mount the rack to the tour pack, then try to put it on the bike... to instead put the rack on the 4 point dock first. To be sure it fits and everything lines up correctly. Its a lot easier to do with out the tour pack Every one of the aftermarket tour pack mounts that I have helped somebody put on their bikes have had to be "tweaked" a little, so that they line up with the bushings on the 4 point dock. They have all been "too tight" and had to be "spread open" so they would naturally sit on the bushings right, and not have one side sit right and the other side be sitting on the shoulder of the bushing. Once thats done and we have checked that the latches rotate and lock snug, then we put it on the tour pack.... it can be frustrating if you have to do that stuff, while the tour pack's weight is on it and in the way while trying to figure it out... Also, I have found the aftermarket's powder coating to be barely more than just regular paint, so be careful with it if you go that route... there's a reason they're $140 cheaper lol

Last edited by Ssitruc; 02-23-2022 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2022 | 10:34 AM
CPD
Cruiser

Excellent advice! Thanks again. Well I need black for sure. Either I go with a new chrome HD
and have it powder coated or go after market and powder coat it when new or wait till it needs it. Which rack would you choose based on this?

Old 02-23-2022 | 11:22 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Do you KNOW that the plate from a King will fit in a Chopped? I have never tried one in a Chopped, and the difference between a King and a Chopped are the bottom 3". I mean I know any thing can be "fabricated" to fit, but just curious if you've done it or seen it done?
A buddy originally used the H-D #53000091 on his chopped TP. H-D calls it a reinforced grounding plate. Due to the plate being slightly raised, his fitted chopped liner did not fit flush so he ended up using the metal plate from Advanblack here.

The following users liked this post:
Ssitruc (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022 | 12:22 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by CPD
Excellent advice! Thanks again. Well I need black for sure. Either I go with a new chrome HD
and have it powder coated or go after market and powder coat it when new or wait till it needs it. Which rack would you choose based on this?
Once the rack is "fitted", so to speak, they stay put just fine. It's not like they're "way off" or anything, I'm only talking about having to spread them open a little more, like an 1/8", but that little bit means the world when you go to try to put it on the bike lol. As long as you're careful with the powder coat/paint while spreading them or "fitting" them, if necessary, you're good to go. But I like the hardware on the HD ones better, but to most it probably makes no difference. HD's hardware is just shaped a little different, and I think they have a groove along one side of the curve on the latch assembly, and the bushing is made out of a different material. I'd probably just do what I did again, to get a black one, use the aftermarket's metal and put the HD hardware on it. If the hardware doesn't matter to you then you dont even have to worry about it... and only re-powder coat it if something happens. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll fit w/o having to do anything.

Here's the part numbers for the black HD hardware only, if your dealer can order them for you and it not take forever to get, or if you can locate them, probably cost $50 - $60 I'd guess...
53508-95 right side latch
53509-95 left side latch
52682-09 (x2) bushing

Last edited by Ssitruc; 02-23-2022 at 12:38 PM.