Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour-pak solo set up 2015 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022 | 08:31 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

no, it's because your ultra limited already has a tourpack on it, and it's 'permanently' installed.

Old 02-22-2022 | 10:00 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I picked up a 14 CVO Road King and was looking to do the chopped tour pack in the solo position only. I have the docking hardware already on the bike with the oem solo seat. Reading through this thread it appears all I would need is the solo mount and tour pack.

Old 02-22-2022 | 10:46 PM
ramu3527
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skratch
no, it's because your ultra limited already has a tourpack on it, and it's 'permanently' installed.
OK, so since I already have the detach docking kit all I would need is that mount (53000225) and I should be good to go. Well, that and a solo seat.

Old 02-22-2022 | 10:47 PM
ramu3527
Road Captain

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
I picked up a 14 CVO Road King and was looking to do the chopped tour pack in the solo position only. I have the docking hardware already on the bike with the oem solo seat. Reading through this thread it appears all I would need is the solo mount and tour pack.
That's what it sounds like to me!

The following users liked this post:
E8USMCRET (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022 | 06:49 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

me too.

Old 02-23-2022 | 06:59 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
If you do use the chopped TP in the solo position, I suggest getting the bottom metal mounting plate. I think this comes with the king TP but fits the chopped. The metal plate will add extra support if you also use the TP as a back rest.

The following users liked this post:
E8USMCRET (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022 | 07:44 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by RKZen
If you do use the chopped TP in the solo position, I suggest getting the bottom metal mounting plate. I think this comes with the king TP but fits the chopped. The metal plate will add extra support if you also use the TP as a back rest.
Do you KNOW that the plate from a King will fit in a Chopped? I have never tried one in a Chopped, and the difference between a King and a Chopped are the bottom 3". I mean I know any thing can be "fabricated" to fit, but just curious if you've done it or seen it done?

Old 02-23-2022 | 07:55 AM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

I used a DK Custom tour pak relocation kit to actually move my chopped pak back a few inches to not crowd my fully adjustable Mustang rider back rest on my Super Tour seat that is also back about 1 1/2”. I futz with it on the road routuinely to move it up or down, backwards or forwards, depending on how long I’ve been riding that day, how my back feels, and if I’m running the sheep skin pad on the back rest in summer that changes my position slightly.

I made a leather “bib” to cover the exposed part of the rack and relocation kit in front of the pak. I had a passenger backrest on the pak just to improve the look, but it looked odd being right behind the rider backrest.

The relocation kit moves the pak up (vertically) about 3/4” which makes it easier to get in and out of the bags.

Last edited by gonemad; 02-23-2022 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2022 | 08:01 AM
JoeeJoee
Tourer

Originally Posted by ramu3527
JoeeJoee, I noticed there's no pad on your tour-pack. That's a great look too, in addition to good function.

The part number (53000225), in the HD catalog and on the HD parts site suggests is doesn't fit my 2015 Ultra Limited. Is that just HD listing it incorrectly?
I ordered the pak without holes and I always use an *** catcher. Good luck hope you get what you looking for.

Old 02-23-2022 | 08:37 AM
CPD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
What Scratch & 2015ultraLimited said all you have to have is the 1-up mount for the tour pack and a solo seat... It will work and clearance issue will only be the latch (if there even is one), not the lid, and you just turn the latch down as you open it... so not really an issue. The only things about using the factory King with speakers pods and the wrap around pad, 1) I felt too "closed in" when I tried it because it kinda surrounds you, and 2) no way in hell I could "swing my leg over it" with that stock pad(had to use the step thru method).
We set up a neighbor's 15 Ultra Limited in the solo configuration and he absolutely loved it... personal taste thing.
Here's a pic of my 16RGU with the factory King set up as 1-up

I wound up using a Chopped with a modified back pad. Now the King stays on its 2-up mount and the Chopped is set up for 1-up. I can also kick my leg over the Chopped
I did make some "bars" to put in-between the mount and the tour pack (used 1/2" X 2-1/2" X 12" 6061 aluminum bars and painted them black) so I could slide the Chopped 2" more forward than how it sat naturally just on the 1-up mount. On long trips I really like being able to lean on the back rest, and without the bars I made, only my finger tips would still touch the grips...

A drawing of the bars I made, to give you ideas if you need to go this way... note, don't go more than 2-1/2" forward, or else you'll see the mount start extending out from under the back of the tour pack. Also on the Chopped, the stock bolts coming out of the tour pack are longer than the ones on the King, so regular 1/4-20 pinch nuts or nylon lock nut worked fine on the back bolts.

You might also be surprised how different if feels with the tour pack in the 1-up position... to me it was really noticeable (in a good way) with that weight on top of or in front of the rear axle, as opposed to it being behind the rear axle.

If you were asking about a single bracket that could "slide" from 2-up to 1-up, if they even exist, in the 1-up there would be bracketing frame work hanging out the back... I wouldn't think it would look too sporty.
Great write up! Been looking to do this fir a long time. Which one up tour pack rack do you suggest? I only see HD has one in chrome and I need black.
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Tour-pak solo set up 2015 FLHTK