Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour-pak solo set up 2015 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022 | 09:29 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

What Scratch & 2015ultraLimited said all you have to have is the 1-up mount for the tour pack and a solo seat... It will work and clearance issue will only be the latch (if there even is one), not the lid, and you just turn the latch down as you open it... so not really an issue. The only things about using the factory King with speakers pods and the wrap around pad, 1) I felt too "closed in" when I tried it because it kinda surrounds you, and 2) no way in hell I could "swing my leg over it" with that stock pad(had to use the step thru method).
We set up a neighbor's 15 Ultra Limited in the solo configuration and he absolutely loved it... personal taste thing.
Here's a pic of my 16RGU with the factory King set up as 1-up

I wound up using a Chopped with a modified back pad. Now the King stays on its 2-up mount and the Chopped is set up for 1-up. I can also kick my leg over the Chopped
I did make some "bars" to put in-between the mount and the tour pack (used 1/2" X 2-1/2" X 12" 6061 aluminum bars and painted them black) so I could slide the Chopped 2" more forward than how it sat naturally just on the 1-up mount. On long trips I really like being able to lean on the back rest, and without the bars I made, only my finger tips would still touch the grips...

A drawing of the bars I made, to give you ideas if you need to go this way... note, don't go more than 2-1/2" forward, or else you'll see the mount start extending out from under the back of the tour pack. Also on the Chopped, the stock bolts coming out of the tour pack are longer than the ones on the King, so regular 1/4-20 pinch nuts or nylon lock nut worked fine on the back bolts.

You might also be surprised how different if feels with the tour pack in the 1-up position... to me it was really noticeable (in a good way) with that weight on top of or in front of the rear axle, as opposed to it being behind the rear axle.

If you were asking about a single bracket that could "slide" from 2-up to 1-up, if they even exist, in the 1-up there would be bracketing frame work hanging out the back... I wouldn't think it would look too sporty.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 02-21-2022 at 10:02 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ssitruc:
dodger413 (02-22-2022), inkdemon (02-23-2022), JoeeJoee (02-23-2022)
Old 02-21-2022 | 10:34 AM
ramu3527
Road Captain

Hey Thanks for the response! Again, more great info. I'm really interested in doing this as it looks like all I'd have to get is the solo detachable mount and a solo seat. The seat is going to be the most expensive part of the whole thing as I can see. I have a Mustang solo wide touring seat with the detachable backrest on my '09 FXDC and I love that thing.
So looks like I wouldn't have to worry about the lids hitting, but moving it forward more might still be of interest so I can use it as a backrest when I have it on. Then still get the seat with the detach backrest for when I don't have the tour pack on.
Speaking of speakers, I've been pondering upgrading the audio system on this thing. Now it's clear I'd like to include upgrading the tour pack speakers as well.
It never ends!! lol

Thanks again and I'll keep you guys posted.
Enjoy your trip 2015....

Old 02-21-2022 | 11:00 AM
ramu3527
Road Captain

Nice write-up Ssitruc! Thanks! And more great info!

I was wondering about the backrest and speaker pods wrapping around like that, if they'd get in the way or be uncomfortable. Is it both or one or the other? Or was it just the feeling of being closed in?

Thanks for the pics. I'm sure they'll help out a lot.

One another note, how do you like those Slimlines? I'm getting those put on with the slip-ons, an S&S Stealth AC, the Woods 222 cams and a tune next month.

Old 02-21-2022 | 09:59 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Just the feeling of being closed on, period... well that and I couldn't kick my leg over the King lol It's like 3" taller and the the wrap around back pad sticks up a little higher also (so I didn't like the "stepping thru" getting on and off).

I'd get the mount before I modified anything, and put your tourpack on it, and on the bike, and try your Mustang seat out. I have seen some that were able to put the backrests on their solo seats with the tour pack in the solo position. Then you'll have a better idea if/what you want to do about a seat or moving the tour pack forward more..

I like the Slimlines a lot, but I am a Rinehart fan and have always had good luck with them. Like their bark when you get in the throttle, but they're mellow enough at speed for hours without feeling like I need hearing protection... the head pipes are 2-1-2 so they perform well for my basically stock engine.

Good Luck with your upgrades!

Old 02-22-2022 | 05:45 AM
JoeeJoee
Tourer

18 SGS solo seat & rest, Razor pak

Old 02-22-2022 | 01:20 PM
ramu3527
Road Captain

Yeah, I'm pretty sold on the whole idea. Thanks Ssitruc. Looks great moved forward like that JoeeJoee.

The following users liked this post:
JoeeJoee (02-23-2022)
Old 02-22-2022 | 01:27 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

And if you like spending 14 Benjamins, you can opt for an adjustable rack like this one.

Old 02-22-2022 | 04:46 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

In the solo position, that adjustable rack is hanging out of the back of the tour pack... it would work, but not too sporty looking. BUT, it would work and it would be quick to change from 2-up to 1-up.... so there's that.

Old 02-22-2022 | 07:48 PM
ramu3527
Road Captain

14 Benny's is a bit more committed than I'm looking to be...

Old 02-22-2022 | 07:54 PM
ramu3527
Road Captain

JoeeJoee, I noticed there's no pad on your tour-pack. That's a great look too, in addition to good function.

The part number (53000225), in the HD catalog and on the HD parts site suggests is doesn't fit my 2015 Ultra Limited. Is that just HD listing it incorrectly?

Quick Reply: Tour-pak solo set up 2015 FLHTK