Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour-pak solo set up 2015 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017 | 09:00 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
Not trying to tell you how to mount/ dismount the bike, but i will say; when the trunk is in solo mode, I stand on the right floorboard and step over. It's a lot easier than trying to throw a leg over the tour pack.
I do the same. come at the bike from the right, right hand on the throttle grip, left hand on the backrest. put the right foot on the floorboard, and step over and through with the left foot. easy peasy, and no sciatica aggravation

Old 01-16-2017 | 02:32 AM
Klinger
|
Cruiser

Brilliant, thanks 2015UltraLimited. I grabbed the PDF instructions and made a list and it agrees perfectly with the list you've provided. I should be able to get the job done.

One last question ..... Do the solo mounts move the Tour Pak close enough to the rider's position to actually use it as a rider's backrest? Looking at the photos, it does not look like it will come that far forward, and I notice one photo with a rider's backrest in front of the box.

Thanks

Old 01-16-2017 | 04:00 AM
2015UltraLimited
Tourer

For me, no, My tour pak is all the way forward on the sliding slots of the mount rack in the picture. I am glad you found the info useful. If you need additional pictures or have any questions, please feel free to send a pm. For comparison, the seat shown in the picture is http://www.mustangseats.com/Product/...ring-2009-2017 I also have a modified Street Glide seat that I use the adjustable backrest when the tour-pak is off. It spoiled me so much that I will not ride without a backrest now, especially for long distance rides.

Last edited by 2015UltraLimited; 01-16-2017 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-16-2017 | 05:33 AM
Klinger
|
Cruiser

Thanks for that and thanks again for all the info and the offer of support if I have more questions - highly likely as I assemble the bits and get on with the job!

Very much appreciated.

Old 01-16-2017 | 06:37 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Klinger
One last question ..... Do the solo mounts move the Tour Pak close enough to the rider's position to actually use it as a rider's backrest? Looking at the photos, it does not look like it will come that far forward, and I notice one photo with a rider's backrest in front of the box.

Thanks
i'm pretty short, so in order to do that, i drilled 4 extra holes in the tourpack mount to allow the tourpack to mount about an inch forward. works great.

Old 01-16-2017 | 07:12 AM
wmprof
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
Not trying to tell you how to mount/ dismount the bike, but i will say; when the trunk is in solo mode, I stand on the right floorboard and step over. It's a lot easier than trying to throw a leg over the tour pack.
I was going from left and sticking leg out and thru opening. Kinda stupid in hindsight, but old habit of which side is proper to exit/enter.

Anyway, I'm thinking I prefer the look of pack in original position now. AND I get on and off like it's not there.

Old 01-17-2017 | 04:22 AM
Klinger
|
Cruiser

[QUOTE=skratch;15842754]i'm pretty short, so in order to do that, i drilled 4 extra holes in the tourpack mount to allow the tourpack to mount about an inch forward. works great.

Now there's a nice, simple solution I may very well use! No rules to say you can't drill your own holes and re-position and from what I've seen of the mount with big flat areas, this should provide the perfect position.

Cheers

Old 02-20-2022 | 09:54 PM
ramu3527
Road Captain

Klinger, 2015UltraLimited, skratch,

I was hoping to fire this thread up again if that's OK. Or, anyone else who may want to chime in, that would be great too.

I have a 2015 Ultra Limited. I already have the tour pack detach kit. I'm also interested in being able to move the tour pack forward for solo riding. I ride solo a large majority of the time.

At this point, is it just a matter of getting the solo kit? I was reading about the lids hitting the bottom of the tour pack. Any issues with that?
I was thinking of fabricating some simple spacers to not only move the pack even more forward to eliminate the need for a rider backrest and to help with the clearance for the lids.

You guys feel like rehashing this subject?

Old 02-20-2022 | 10:25 PM
2015UltraLimited
Tourer

Ramu,

I am traveling right now and will not be back home for another week. When I get back next week, I can answer additional question as my bike currently has the solo detachable tour-pak installed now.

Quick answers while I have wifi in the hotel: Yes, the lid latches do hit this speaker pods when they are a lifted (in the open position). You just have to push the latch back to the closed position to clear the speaker pod. Does the lid itself touch the tour-pak or speaker pod, no. No need to fabricate spacer for me. If you have the detachable kit for 2 up riding now and you want to go solo, you need to purchase a solo seat and the solo detachable mount, nothing else since you have the full detachable two up kit. Since I move my backrest throughout the day on long rides, I have an adjustable backrest on my solo seat vice trying to use the tour-pak backrest as it would be in a fixed location throughout the trip.

Hope this helps, I have not been on the forum much lately but did get an e-mail notification on your reply, and can answer more question next week when I am back home.

Old 02-21-2022 | 06:54 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

^ what he said. i don't have any speakers on my tourpack so no worries on that front. with the solo mount, i do not have any problem with the saddlebag lids hitting the bottom of the tourpack. can't speak to the chopped tourpack though, as we have a king. all the info that i posted previously in this thread has gone out the window. i no longer have the bikes that i did then. they were pre-rushmore. now, the wife and i have 2 m8s, both 2019s. i reused my old pre-rushmore chopped tourpack on this bike, while the wife ordered a new king tourpack. both still in the solo position.

here's how her bike looks now. i don't have any pics of mine.

​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Tour-pak solo set up 2015 FLHTK