Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 StreetGlide Front Brake Lock-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 09:02 AM
69DoubleG
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 08 StreetGlide Front Brake Lock-up

I experienced a front brake lever lock-up as I was pulling off the freeway. It was very alarming (and dangerous) since I frequent my front brakes and I could not suppress the lever. The rear brakes worked ok so I was able to avoid any issues. I have read some past threads about similar problems but didn't see any remedies.
Is it possible to eliminate the front brake ABS only and keep rear brake ABS?

Thanks

Old 01-12-2017, 09:23 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Lots of posts the last few days about ABS problems. Strange.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:31 AM
69DoubleG
5th Gear
Default Recent ABS issues

I noticed that and all are very similar problems. Cold weather related perhaps. Crystalization. Its not too cold in SC but we did dip to the 20's. Makes me want to go old school with my brakes.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:09 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by 69DoubleG
I noticed that and all are very similar problems. Cold weather related perhaps. Crystalization. Its not too cold in SC but we did dip to the 20's. Makes me want to go old school with my brakes.
Almost all of these problems have required replacement of the ABS unit. This was frightening enough with the first report, now they are becoming VERY frequent. Comparing the brake system diagrams between ABS and NON ABS bikes of the same year and model should show where the systems are the same and where they are different. Ordering and installing the parts to bypass the ABS unit should "convert" the bike to standard brakes. A "shade tree" option would be to disconnect the MC line from the ABS unit and install a short jumper line to the line that goes to the appropriate caliper. That would involve non factory, locally fabricated fittings and lines.

Just casually reading through the forums suggests that ABS and factory security generate far more headaches for owners than any other individual systems. Definitely makes me glad I have neither system on my sled.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by btsom
Just casually reading through the forums suggests that ABS and factory security generate far more headaches for owners than any other individual systems. Definitely makes me glad I have neither system on my sled.
Security seems to me down to owners mostly, especially those who buy a secondhand bike and either don't get the owners manual or don't read it. For recent bikes they are available on-line via the Owners tab on the H-D website. ABS is more serious, for obvious reasons, even more so if the bike is out of warranty.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:49 AM
69DoubleG
5th Gear
Default Standard brakes vs abs

I have heard suggestions that MC straight to front brake calipers and leave rear ABS can work. Maybe just plug off inlet and outlet on ABS ports. Any thoughts?

Old 01-14-2017, 07:46 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by 69DoubleG
I have heard suggestions that MC straight to front brake calipers and leave rear ABS can work. Maybe just plug off inlet and outlet on ABS ports. Any thoughts?
The hydraulic lock has happened on both front and rear brakes. The first malfunction has typically generated an ABS unit replacement. Both systems start over again form day "0". Plumbing around the ABS unit for the failed brake and leaving the other connected to the ABS unit would seem to just be a waiting game until the remaining side of the ABS unit failed. That would expose you to the hydraulic lock malfunction TWICE.
Either replace the ABS unit and start "fresh" or plumb around it with BOTH brakes. These are the only choices which provide confidence in a very critical system.

If you have the malfunction, tell the NTSB. No matter how many of these units Harley replaces, I doubt they will "tattle" on themselves to the NTSB. In my humble opinion, this should be a safety recall for a faulty system.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:04 AM
69DoubleG
5th Gear
Default Thx btsom

I agree with your thoughts and have decided to convert both brake lines to non-ABS because of that one comment "TWICE". I surely don't want that *** tightening white knuckle brake failure again. I rode all weekend and I have to admit it was nice not feeling those rear brakes "let go" on the dirt roads that ABS causes. Thanks Bro

The following users liked this post:
D W K (01-17-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 02:02 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I believe some of the ABS problems may result from not replacing brake fluid at least every 2 years. Probably crud gets in the ABS causing malfunctions. While expensive to replace the module, if you can swing the costs I would do it as ABS can and is a lifesaver on the road. The ABS can prevent the bike from high siding since it generally does not allow the tires to slide, unlike standard brakes. ABS is one of the best things to happen to motorcycles, when it's working that is.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:09 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,763 Likes on 2,531 Posts

May want to contact the NHTSA for defects involving death or injury. Not NTSB.