Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Kuryakyn Flush Mount Gas Gap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:04 AM
jjr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on Kuryakyn Flush Mount Gas Gap?

I just picked up a basically new 03 SERK (w/740mi) the PO had the Kuryakyn flush mount LED/Battery COndition cap on the left and the flushmount gas cap in the right.

All all of my past RK and RKC I have always filled my gas tank up to the bottom of the recess piece in the tank, if I remember that is where the manual tells you to top off the tank. Well I filled up the gas tank to that point and proceeded into expressway traffic.

At about 60mph I was getting fuel shooting all over the gas tank as well as me. Needles to say it made me a bit nervous.

Has anyone ever had a problem with that cap? I did have it tightened down very tight. To me if there all like that I give them the POS AKA PIECE OF **** RATING[:@]

John

Old 05-30-2007, 09:14 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thoughts on Kuryakyn Flush Mount Gas Gap?

I would say either the cap is not installed right or the wrong gasket was used. I have had no problems with mine and I like it a lot.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:17 AM
jjr
Road Captain

How could you screw in a gas cap incorrectly? It was tight and gasket was in place? The set was installed by HD and again how hard is it to screw in a gas cap???

I will probably go back to stock

Old 05-30-2007, 09:24 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

I wasnt referencing the cap itself, but the install. The cap comes with 2 gaskets. If the wrong one is installed itll leak. If the cap (base that the cap actually screws into)isnt installed correctly itll leak. Just because HD installed it dont mean it was done right. I would never trust it was done right just bc it was done at a dealer!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:32 AM
jjr
Road Captain

BD,
Should this be a 1 piece cap (see pic) and does that look like the correct gasket (see pix).I fill up to the bottom of hole in recess.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Roadking 360
Novice

I fill to the same level with the same style of fuel cap and have no problems on my bike. I see three potential problems, as stated before did you use the correct gasket that came with the kit. It came with two gaskets only use one of them depending on the year / model of the bike. Second problem could be related to the type of gas cap used, Kury sell vented or unvented caps. Newer bikes use a vented cap, see the manufacturers literature on which style to get. And the third potential problem could be missing the big "O" -ring on the cap itself, without it you won't get a seal. Hope this helps.

2004 RKC

Old 05-30-2007, 09:40 AM
jjr
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Roadking 360

I fill to the same level with the same style of fuel cap and have no problems on my bike. I see three potential problems, as stated before did you use the correct gasket that came with the kit. It came with two gaskets only use one of them depending on the year / model of the bike. Second problem could be related to the type of gas cap used, Kury sell vented or unvented caps. Newer bikes use a vented cap, see the manufacturers literature on which style to get. And the third potential problem could be missing the big "O" -ring on the cap itself, without it you won't get a seal. Hope this helps.

2004 RKC
BD,
Looking at the bottom of my gas cap I can see two vent holes (you can see in photo in earlier post)

Could you send me a photo of yours ? Somthing is screwy! Also could the actuall center part of my gas cap unscrew?

John

Old 05-30-2007, 10:28 AM
jjr
Road Captain

Top of cap with key:

Old 05-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Roadking 360
Novice

jjr, In your previous post with photos you had a picture of the entire gas cap assembly (outer and inner gas caps). The outer gas cap is attached to the fuel tank with a gasket and is not removed when refueling. The inner cap (with "O-ring") is removed with the key as in your latest post. Below is the Kury web page that relates to your fuel cap. Installation instructions are available from this site as well.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=2692

Old 05-30-2007, 01:32 PM
KCBULLDOG
Cruiser

Not to jump your thread butI have the HD flush mounts and love them. They look very clean and have had no issues. Something to consider if you were going to change caps.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Kuryakyn Flush Mount Gas Gap?