Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To dyno or not to dyno

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 05:03 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Default To dyno or not to dyno

Hi,I have an '06 Ultra Classic with Stage 1,Jackpot mufflers,K&N breather,Ward's cooling fans,HD oil cooler,Amsoil changed frequently.I'm experiencing an excessive heat problem on the right side at ankle height,actually this past summer I had to stop frequently because the leg was starting to get red (almost a 1st degree burn).What could the problem be?Would a dyno tuning help reduce the unbearable heat and solve the problem?Thanks

Old 01-10-2017, 05:21 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

You're going to need a tuner anyway get a power vision first. You can tweak it your self or dyno it from there. They got the 02 sensors in 07 so you can't use the auto tune feature.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

If you have access to a decent Harley shop it would be worth asking their opinion first, to confirm that nothing else is causing the problem. If it is entirely down to a bad tune, then yes a dyno tune should solve it. If you go that route ask the shop to recommend a tuner. There is no point you buying a brand they don't or won't tune!

Old 01-10-2017, 05:44 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,206 Likes on 3,746 Posts

Serious question, what kind of footwear do you use? I wear boots for exactly that reason.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

When you added the stage one with the air cleaner and the pipes, did you at least get the download? If you didn't do anything, you are going to be extremely lean, therefore HOT. I would suggest at minimum, the download, which is still lean. That or follow grbrowns advice and find a reputable tuner ( the guy running the dyno ) which is most important and then, discuss your goals with him and let him recommend a device he is comfortable tuning with.

A good tune with the oil cooler and fans you already have and it will be very cool running in comparison.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:01 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
Serious question, what kind of footwear do you use? I wear boots for exactly that reason.
roussfam: It's evident that your question is honest. However, the red leg is a symptom, and different footwear would be to apply a band aid where minor surgery is absolutely necessary, IF it's performed soon and not too late.

There's some missing info from the OP; we don't know if he's using a tuner, or had a map flash/download or not. Once known, then recommendations can be made to help. Ultimately, he needs to cool down his motor with a good tune, not just his hot leg. The first will take care of the later.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:11 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by gipper
roussfam: It's evident that your question is honest. However, the red leg is a symptom, and different footwear would be to apply a band aid where minor surgery is absolutely necessary, IF it's performed soon and not too late.

There's some missing info from the OP; we don't know if he's using a tuner, or had a map flash/download or not. Once known, then recommendations can be made to help. Ultimately, he needs to cool down his motor with a good tune, not just his hot leg. The first will take care of the later.
I agree, but wearing sneakers in stop and go traffic on a hot day might be a touch warm on the right ankle even on a tuned bike

Old 01-10-2017, 07:26 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

another vote for the PV - my GF was having the same issue with her CVO until I put a tune on it with my PV - happy GF = happy sex life

Old 01-10-2017, 08:07 PM
Kburgad
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

On my 04 night train I put pcv and auto tune when I put Andrews 26 cams. After 300 miles ran great. Would run closed loop after 10 min of run time. After I got it figured out I built a rich 12.3 to 12.8 tune for power and running around town. Then I built a lean tune of 13.8-14.2 to cruise with. Loaded on the phone app and could switch between maps in less than 3 min without taking the seat off. Other way would be power vision with target tune. Allows the wideband sensors to be an input to the ecm and allow closed loop operation.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:10 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

FWIW, my old bike had a PCV with AT100's, loaded a map that was close and autotuned, ran great. Drove 300 miles to trade it in on used bike that had a SEPST Tuner. 300 mile trip back, man I roasted, pulled the plugs when I got home, they were white. Forgot what map was loaded, played around with the air fuel ratios and did a couple of smart tunes and it was a completely different beast. I still can't believe the previous owner ran it like that..

Quick Reply: To dyno or not to dyno