Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left side exhaust sqeaks again

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:19 AM
jetsled
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left side exhaust sqeaks again

Looking for some help here. The left side muffer (Hooker) sqweeeeeeks again. The header pipe was cracked and HD replaced it some time ago,the noise was gone, now after a tire replacement the noise is back but theheader is solid. There is some movement at the rubberbushing near the rear of the muffer. Any suggestions??

Old 05-30-2007, 02:26 AM
Ben U
Default RE: Left side exhaust sqeaks again

Have you checked the clamp where the slip-on attachs to the pipe. If the dealer didn't replace it after they removed it, it probably came loose. By the service manual, it's supposed to be replaced but you may get by using some lock-tight.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:33 AM
jetsled
Intermediate

Yes I did check the clamp and it's tight. The exhaust is solid but you can slightly move the muff side to side and get a sqweak out of the rubber bushing

Old 05-30-2007, 02:57 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

Sounds like a good reason to go to a 2-1 exhaust..... just a joke.

Try working some white grease into the rubber muffler hanger on the saddlebag support tube. I bet that's where the squeak is coming from. If that's not it, it could be a heat shield ever so slightly loose. I had one that drove me nuts.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem after I replaced the pipes on my '03 RKC, except it was the right side. It happened most often when it was hot out, and it was worse at lower RPM's (scared the neighborhood kids and dogs when I was idling down the street!).

I sprayed some silicone spray on the rubber hanger below the saddlebag -- and that took care of it every time. Ended up keeping a can of the silicone in my bag so I could spray it as soon as it started to squeak.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:26 PM
jammer25309
Advanced

I agree with all the suggestions in this post. Check all these things mentioned above and you'll probably find it.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:32 PM
jimmyz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Left side exhaust squeaks again

Put a little oil on the rubber . Not Wd40 it will evaporate to quick. That will do the trick! JimmyZ

Old 05-30-2007, 01:36 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Left side exhaust squeaks again

I'm with biggzed. I'd use a little white lithium grease in there. Lasts much longer than traditional 'oils' that are liquid.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Geezer_Glide
5th Gear
Lightbulb $4.00 / 15 minute solution

For $4.00 you can buy a set of those rubber bushings from H-D (it's an item they all have on hand) and even the most inept idiot with a 1/2" socket can swap those out in 15 minutes, solving the problem. As an inept idiot (who once stripped his oil pan drain screw because he didn't understand how a torque wrench worked) I can vouch for this fact.

Remove saddle bags (if applicable) to access the hangers. Tie the rear of the pipe up to your signal / plate mounts or put something underneath them so that they are not "freeballing" once you remove the hanger. Using a 1/2" socket, remove the bolts. Slide the chrome plate out of the bushing. Take a screwdriver and push down on the front top of the bushing while pushing it through. Clean off the gunk, slide in the new bushing from the front, plate back in, tighten bolts. Done and Done. QUIET. Sweet relief....

I lived with this problem for YEARS before I found out how easy it is to get rid of it. Let the world know - it's spring again and my birds have stopped chirping. Halla-freakin-luya !

Old 07-28-2011, 06:08 PM
giobott
Intermediate
Default sqeaks

I to went through all of sqeaky pipe solutions on my Road King. Then, with the pipes hot and wearing a pair of welding gloves I pulled and pushed on the cross over. Ah ha the squeak. While dismantling, discovered the pipe hanger mount, allan head bolts at the engine were loose. (damm stealer had their hands in there a month back) dressed the screws and torgued them down. Problem solved. No issues since, whew very anoying